Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by Essexmaniac »

swash wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:41 pm Very disappointed by the reaction of some on here. Feel people are getting too hung up on the job title. Having the bloke involved again is a massive positive for me
I've been saying that too. With such a wide reaching range of roles under his umbrella, what title is more appropriate?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

fairly certain his role will be a simple expansion of everything he was already doing when he had the armband.

he's essentially been hired as a world leading expert on all things west ham united.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

swash wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:41 pm Very disappointed by the reaction of some on here. Feel people are getting too hung up on the job title. Having the bloke involved again is a massive positive for me
See I think people are getting to hung up on the ‘we miss Noboe around the place’ stuff. Just seems a an excuse for the players not putting it in. I don’t see this appointment making any difference to how our season is gonna pan out.
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:16 am See I think people are getting to hung up on the ‘we miss Noboe around the place’ stuff. Just seems a an excuse for the players not putting it in. I don’t see this appointment making any difference to how our season is gonna pan out.
I personally think he is partially wanted to stabilise the disconnect that seems apparent between our academy and first team. His influence on Rice clearly helped and I assume it is hoped his experience will inspire and help groom others. As much as some will laud Moyes for his youth ‘development’, it appears at the moment it is not working, hence the Sonny Perkins/agents fiasco. Could Nobes have been a better mediator in that affair? Regardless of the success or not of those who leave, disaffection among the academy is not a good thing.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

It's just a nice bit of news amongst the gloom..

We look nothing like "a team" at the moment and no one can deny that he is will be a bonding influence.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think Noble coming back as sporting director is huge for the club. I agree with Pezza that he’s not qualified to do the job of a traditional sporting director. I also can’t think of any sporting director in the premier league qualified to do what Mark Noble can do for West Ham. Noble’s strength will be his ability to establish the clubs identity and culture, and to do it from the academy on up. It is a similar appointment to when Maldini was appointed as Milan’s Sporting Strategy and Technical director. At least initially I expect Noble will fulfil the Maldini role as opposed to the Leonardo (Sporting Director) role. Maldini excelled an was promoted to Technical director and had almost as much input on club decisions as Leonardo and the board of directors (at least before the redbird takeover ).
Van der Sar was appointed Ajax’s marketing director with no experience or qualifications and less club pedigree than Noble, 4 years later he became the clubs chief executive.
I am not suggesting Noble will be running the club any time soon, although he’s probably more qualified than GSB, but I am confident he will be brilliant in developing the club’s identity, culture and ethos.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Regardless of what he's been hired to do now l was disappointed that the club gave Noble and Ogbonna a total of around six million in wages with Nobles extension last season and an unfit Ogbonna this season.Yes it sounds generous and a great gesture from the club except when you'll lose young hopefuls like Perkins,Alese and probably Johnson over wages.The old adage is never go back to your old club,just exactly what miracle Noble is going to pull out the hat and turn us back into an academy club is not going to happen.Noble will be a puppet to the owners.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 4738 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

billtho wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:43 pm Regardless of what he's been hired to do now l was disappointed that the club gave Noble and Ogbonna a total of around six million in wages with Nobles extension last season and an unfit Ogbonna this season.Yes it sounds generous and a great gesture from the club except when you'll lose young hopefuls like Perkins,Alese and probably Johnson over wages.The old adage is never go back to your old club,just exactly what miracle Noble is going to pull out the hat and turn us back into an academy club is not going to happen.Noble will be a puppet to the owners.
We chose to sell Alese and Johnson is still here.

If you're going to attempt to make a point about 'losing' youngsters you probably shouldn't include ones we chose to sell or ones that still play for us.

Regardless, should we have broken our youth wage structure to keep Perkins when he's proven nothing?
billtho

Post by billtho »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:11 pm We chose to sell Alese and Johnson is still here.

If you're going to attempt to make a point about 'losing' youngsters you probably shouldn't include ones we chose to sell or ones that still play for us.

Regardless, should we have broken our youth wage structure to keep Perkins when he's proven nothing?
So you let your youngsters go because they've proved nothing..Perkins was doing well before his exodus and you sell a promising defender for three hundred grand with a sell on fee.Johnson will not sign the contract that he's been offered because he thinks that he's worth more.For what it's worth I think perkins could well be another Cottee.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

billtho wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm So you let your youngsters go because they've proved nothing..Perkins was doing well before his exodus and you sell a promising defender for three hundred grand with a sell on fee.Johnson will not sign the contract that he's been offered because he thinks that he's worth more.For what it's worth I think perkins could well be another Cottee.
Wasn't he asking for first team wages, even though he wasn't a first team regular?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

billtho wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:43 pm Regardless of what he's been hired to do now l was disappointed that the club gave Noble and Ogbonna a total of around six million in wages with Nobles extension last season and an unfit Ogbonna this season.Yes it sounds generous and a great gesture from the club except when you'll lose young hopefuls like Perkins,Alese and probably Johnson over wages.The old adage is never go back to your old club,just exactly what miracle Noble is going to pull out the hat and turn us back into an academy club is not going to happen.Noble will be a puppet to the owners.
Ogbonna was our first choice CB at the start of last season. Noble played a very key role in us being able to have such a decent crack at the Europa League too.

6m split between two players is 3m, broken down over the 52 weeks of the year it is less than 60k per week.
You may not like Premier League wages, but they are not astronomical wages for two experienced top flight players by any stretch of the imagination.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

billtho wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm I think perkins could well be another Cottee.
Without wanting to derail the Mark Noble thread, Perkins could also be another Freddie Sears. We just don't know at this stage.

Despite an amazing start to his season for the Leeds U21 team (six in five games - with a goal in every match), and an impressive hat trick for England U19s against Georgia U19s this week... it is still just too early to tell how he will pan out in the men's game.

If the club felt strongly enough about him they would have done more to keep him. Personally I see this as an absolutely key role that Noble can play for us. Why on earth did a 17 year old kid (now 18) feel that he was better off at Leeds Utd. Why on earth would he move to the other end of the country at such a young age to play at the same standard as he was already playing (PL2).

You don't have to look too far to see the perfect example of a young player who has just focused on his game, not been too concerned about the salary and ended up being the best in England if not the world in his position. Rice won't exactly be hard up, and he is now in line for a move that will undoubtedly see him and his family set for life.

There was no need for Perkins to put a gun to our heads and make demands. Had someone like Noble been across the negotiation he may have been able to say to Perkins and his family that they are insane for wanting that move, that the money wasn't the thing to be thinking about.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Just showed Noble and Billy Horschel in a feature on Sky Sports News. They're playing in some Pro-Am tournament up in Scotland. Sounds as if Nobes is stressed like the rest of us watching the team this season lol.
Bubbles Fortuna

billtho wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm So you let your youngsters go because they've proved nothing..Perkins was doing well before his exodus and you sell a promising defender for three hundred grand with a sell on fee.Johnson will not sign the contract that he's been offered because he thinks that he's worth more.For what it's worth I think perkins could well be another Cottee.
When they're asking for first team wages absolutely.

Alese was let go because he isn't good enough, he was 6th choice with a contract on the run down.
billtho

Post by billtho »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:47 pm When they're asking for first team wages absolutely.

Alese was let go because he isn't good enough, he was 6th choice with a contract on the run down.
No way were they asking for first team wages otherwise sullivan would have spouted that out as they were too greedy but there was none of that.Perkins left because he could see no way forward under this manager who would play Antonio until he was flat out knackered rather than give him a few chances.Seems like any young player who leaves this club is regarded as rubbish.Even big spenders chelsea take more chances on their kids than what we do and for what it's worth Alese would have made a better left sided centre back than Creswell who Moyes seems to like in a back three.
Bubbles Fortuna

billtho wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:32 pm No way were they asking for first team wages otherwise sullivan would have spouted that out as they were too greedy but there was none of that.Perkins left because he could see no way forward under this manager who would play Antonio until he was flat out knackered rather than give him a few chances.Seems like any young player who leaves this club is regarded as rubbish.Even big spenders chelsea take more chances on their kids than what we do and for what it's worth Alese would have made a better left sided centre back than Creswell who Moyes seems to like in a back three.
Show me any evidence that Perkins left because of the manager. I'll wait. He's now behind Bamford and Gelhardt and playing for Leeds U21s.

Alese has barely played for Sunderland, but is better than Cresswell. Okay then.

Bet you think selling Diangana was a mistake.
Hammers Sturmflut
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hammers Sturmflut »

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1316 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Not that I think that screenshot is real, mainly because of the quality of the image and the change in font size between the two tweets etc.

But you can be Korean and still travel all the way from China.
billtho

Post by billtho »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:13 pm Show me any evidence that Perkins left because of the manager. I'll wait. He's now behind Bamford and Gelhardt and playing for Leeds U21s.

Alese has barely played for Sunderland, but is better than Cresswell. Okay then.

Bet you think selling Diangana was a mistake.
Show me any evidence that Perkins wanted first team wages..I'll wait
Any player with two legs is a better centre back than Creswell
No I didn't think selling Diangana was a mistake but our new sporting director / miracle worker did just that..so give Nobes the full force of your tongue for his opinions on the Diangana sale...I'll wait..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Tbf Noble never said selling Diagana was a mistake. He just said he was sad he was leaving

Also, not giving Perkins what he was asking for, or letting Alese go is not related to the contracts given to Ogbonna and Noble in anyway

If the club felt Perkins was worth what he was asking for they would have offered it to him, and if they didn't want to sell Alese to Sunderlsnd they wouldn't have done

Baptiste is better than Alese and Alese knew he wasn't going to get near the first team of q team wanting to challenge at top end of Premier League - so thr move suited all parties