Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by RichieRiv »

I disagree. I think it was as subtle as you can be in a stadium with 60,000 people in it.

They could have had all sorts of hangers-on giving their two-penneth, Corden, Brand, Winston etc - although I think I would have rather had the latter than Danny Dyer.

What constitutes being a good send-off is subjective and you ain't gonna please every, but you don't need to please anyone - just Mark, Carly, Honey and Lenny.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:27 am I disagree. I think it was as subtle as you can be in a stadium with 60,000 people in it.

They could have had all sorts of hangers-on giving their two-penneth, Corden, Brand, Winston etc - although I think I would have rather had the latter than Danny Dyer.

What constitutes being a good send-off is subjective and you ain't gonna please every, but you don't need to please anyone - just Mark, Carly, Honey and Lenny.
That's the one for me :newthumb:

Shove all of our opinions to one side. His family didn't stop smiling and he couldn't stop crying. Job done.

Plus he got a free shirt.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Thank you for everything Mark, Thank you.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I thought it was a fitting send off. Not because of handing him a framed shirt (not sure what you should be giving him physically?), but the fact close to 60,000 stayed behind for up to an hour before we all left cheering, singing and clapping his name.

Special mention for me goes to Kevin Keen who spoke so well about what Noble is to us as both a player and fan and hammered home the England Cap point. It's all well and good fans like me who truly believed he was robbed of the chance but to hear it said by those who coached him down the years speak so strongly about it too, just reaffirms our belief he always should have been based solely on his ability. Would love to listen to that pitchside interview again.

And yes Marky boy, you most definitely did do us all proud. :clap: :hammb:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:35 am and once told a waiter to bring him the restaurant's best wine without checking the price.
In Rochdale that will have set him back a fiver :smiler:

Just to add my congratulations to Mark Noble, went out how he has been since day 1. Dignified, selfless and with no hint of ego. He has lived and represented this club as living proof of there is no I in team. A credit to himself and his family.

Hope he enjoys the years to come. A long rest with the family and then back to work in some meaningful capacity at the club. A job on the coaching side and a place on the board would be my choice.
Eggs'n'nuts
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Just been going through all the videos on here.

Bloody typical! As soon as I start watching them, North Cheam suffers a massive heatwave making my eyeballs sweat like mad.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

****ing hell. I've not long been in from work, just watched Nobes farewell speech and not ashamed to say that as a 40 year old man I am sitting here at the kitchen table in absolute bits, balling my eyes out.

We are a very special club.

I often wonder if Mark has half an eye managing us one day. I hope so...
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

a great day yesterday and Noble got time on the pitch and still looked good enough, he has been a great player and you can see how much he cares about the club something others could learn a lot from, The club putting those stupid banners up what a waste of money meaning half the ground were watching on the big screen as the view was obstructed, ah well gsb at least the posh seats had unrestricted viewing.
I wonder who will be next seasons scapegoat, Cresswell must be favourite or Antonio, Arthur wont be about neither will Yarma,
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I don't want Mark Noble to become our manager in the same way I never wanted Trevor to take the job full time. I don't want to see a club legend's managerial appointment end in sacking and recriminations which is the fate of them all nowadays. Give him a job for life behind the scenes if that's what he wants. Very few speak with more authority about West Ham.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:27 am I disagree. I think it was as subtle as you can be in a stadium with 60,000 people in it.

I don't mind Danny, and him and Nobes are both Canning Town boys, right?

Anyway, I am ****ing brokenhearted. Another tie to the club gone for me,having lost my old man who bloody forced me into following this bloody infuriating yet wodnerful club. Always felt like Noble was my younger brother playing out there for me and us all. Even copied my position and style. Not the biggest but put it about. Always looking for a nice pass rather than a fancy dribble or shot, but capable of a nice finish every now and again. Much better at penalties than me, I'll give him that. Bit of a schnozz and thinning hair but still a bit of charm to finish off the family resemblance.

Well, bye for now, Mark. Come back after a little break. Should have had 20 caps, not sod all.Their loss.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Yeah agreed. Read that point a few pages back as well and must admit hasn't considered that. Good point, well made.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

A wonderful, emotional and fitting tribute to a great great 'man' and player. I was moved and glad to say I was there.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Kialos wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:33 pm I don't want Mark Noble to become our manager in the same way I never wanted Trevor to take the job full time. I don't want to see a club legend's managerial appointment end in sacking and recriminations which is the fate of them all nowadays.
To be fair, history doesn't often remember the sacking. Bonzo a good example of that (and he even had the audacity to manage Wall!)
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

I’m sure there are others like me, but one of the reasons Noble’s career was particularly significant for me, is that he’s effectively my age (about a year older), and played in the same position I did growing up.

As the weird American kid who saw his first game in 99 and immediately was hooked, I watching Nobes break into the team was about the closest thing there was to imagining myself do it, and he did it at exactly the same time as I would have (you know, had I been any good and living in a different country).

It’s just different when the timing matches up perfectly, and when it’s a one club player who accomplishes something that may never be repeated. All the best in retirement Nobes!
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

I just hope they offer him something meaningful and a decent amount of £££££. If Brady is worth £1 million a year what’s Mark worth?
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

PF. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:11 pm To be fair, history doesn't often remember the sacking. Bonzo a good example of that (and he even had the audacity to manage Wall!)
Billy Bonds remembers the sacking though and it's a far more toxic environment in football now then when he was manager.

I'm not against former players becoming our managers, I just don't want those rare players who had a special connection to the club managing us.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Imagine the fall out if Cher had married Mark Noble.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

End of an era. My most commented on thread on KUMB in my 11 years on here? This one. Defended him to the death since this thread popped up in 2014.

I always felt he was better than some gave him credit for. A no-nonsense footballer with a wicked eye for a pass and could read the game better than any of those around him. His legs never went, he retired before they did. On his terms.

You made us proud Mark, you're the hero and legend of my generation. You're three months older than me and literally lived my dream. West Ham without you doesn't seem right, I hope there is a place for you within Moyes' coaching team, if you want it of course. In an ideal world you'll go off and do your badges and end up back here in a few years as the gaffer.

Is Mark Noble a legend? Undoubtedly. The biggest legend to grace our pitch since the 1980's.

I just pray there is a final chapter to your playing career this Sunday. A last minute winning penalty with Man United dropping points would be fairy-tale stuff.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Chrissieboy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:50 pm I don't mind Danny, and him and Nobes are both Canning Town boys, right?
If we are going to be pedantic he's from Custom House.
Kialos wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:52 pm Billy Bonds remembers the sacking though and it's a far more toxic environment in football now then when he was manager.

I'm not against former players becoming our managers, I just don't want those rare players who had a special connection to the club managing us.

As I understand it, Bill wanted to enjoy his retirement but was convinced to come back to what was a rudderless ship. He was torn between retirement and helping the club he loved (along with the fans) a little like Trevor later on.

But I agree with everything you have said. As romantic the notion is, I want their time at West Ham to be remembered for the right reasons, not because of the performances on the pitch.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I see little problem with him becoming our manager one day, should he and his family want it. Bonds, Brooking, Bilic all proved it can be done and not taint your legacy at the Club. If it didn't go quite right, I'm sure we'd be able to handle the fall out should it happen. Go for it I say!