Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by danm79 »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:35 pm Dry your eyes, you obviously wasn’t there.

For someone that devoted their career to West Ham he deserved more than a few cheap videos and a shirt that he has over 500 of.

Clueless
I know he wanted it fairly short and sweet as he knew it was going to be a emotional.

He had a very good send off at his party after the game that was still in full flow at 8.30pm, Rice was there for a good 3 hours along with Collins, Carlton, Nolan to name a few.

There is certainly more to come and there is without doubt pretty much whatever role he wants in the club, wouldn't be surprised to see him in Scotland or France pre-season.

I got the impression he knows there is still more to play for this year and would take as much pride in Europa League qualification next season as he would having had a stand named after him yesterday.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by danm79 »

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread but the high five with Rice as he walked through the guard of honour really felt like Mark handing over his stewardship of West Ham to Declan.

I am assuming Nobes will get a some minutes at Brighton for his 550 appearance, personally I think it would be a nice touch if he refused the arm band from Declan on this occasion.
Pob!
Has liked: 1063 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

He's even got his own thread over at Wolves ...

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... am.685452/
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Pob! wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm He's even got his own thread over at Wolves ...

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... am.685452/
Enjoy that. Forget West Ham, in the Footballing World it's great to hear of others talk so highly of who and what he's done with us, because they wish it could have been for their Club also. 1 man Club is close to extinction in the game and yet here we are, West Ham proving them all wrong and in the modern game too.

I won't listen to the argument no Club worth it's salt was never interested in signing Noble either. It wouldn't be believable for a start but even so, he never wished to leave by handing in transfer requests when we were relegated. He stayed, because he was always going too and everyone in the game knew it, at the top of the English tree too.

And you know what, I honestly believe he could have slotted in to say Arsenals midfield with ease just as the likes of other West Ham boys Wilshere and Parlour both proved. The boy could seriously pass and read the game, he was that good at it in the heart of the midfield. Their loss was our gain for 17 odd years.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:36 pm Enjoy that. Forget West Ham, in the Footballing World it's great to hear of others talk so highly of who and what he's done with us, because they wish it could have been for their Club also. 1 man Club is close to extinction in the game and yet here we are, West Ham proving them all wrong and in the modern game too.

I won't listen to the argument no Club worth it's salt was never interested in signing Noble either. It wouldn't be believable for a start but even so, he never wished to leave by handing in transfer requests when we were relegated. He stayed, because he was always going too and everyone in the game knew it, at the top of the English tree too.

And you know what, I honestly believe he could have slotted in to say Arsenals midfield with ease just as the likes of other West Ham boys Wilshere and Parlour both proved. The boy could seriously pass and read the game, he was that good at it in the heart of the midfield. Their loss was our gain for 17 odd years.
If he was in arsenal's midfield now he would be their xhaka. Good technical player but can't run.

He fit us beautifully. But I'm sure if he had been good enough for Liverpool, man United or city he would have been off if they had bid.

Fair play tho he carved a good career. Could never take a blooming corner tho.

Great pen player and it's been good to see his cameos this season.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

The amount of hatred Lingard has been getting from his own MU fans for congratulating Noble on twitter is nuts.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

WCpete wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 pm The amount of hatred Lingard has been getting from his own MU fans for congratulating Noble on twitter is nuts.
Not really. It's Twitter. Much as it's good to use it's full of hate
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

WCpete wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 pm twitter is nuts.
You're not wrong...
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Pob! wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm He's even got his own thread over at Wolves ...
Decent comments on there :newthumb:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Noble was definitely better than Xhaka. Never rated him at Arsenal, I'd definitely pick him ahead of him. I'd consider Parlour the closest fit to Noble and he managed to play with the very best of Arsenal teams in the Prem often. Very dependable if not fashionable but always well appreciated by their fanbase for what he did do, the hard graft and decent passing.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon May 16, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Parlour and Noble drink in the same place (the former a lot more regularly than the latter, I should note).
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:25 pm Parlour and Noble drink in the same place (the former a lot more regularly than the latter, I should note).
I think the latter is part owner.

His favourite gaff though is Lot. Although not in the evenings when all the Towie clones come out of their nailbars and exhaust centres.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 100 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Was at the game but watched back his speech over and over. The '"I hope i've done you proud" bit kills me every time. Gutting.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Tony Cascarino praises thinks Declan Rice’s success has been helped by West Ham legend Mark Noble

Listening to this short clip from Talksport. Tony mentions that Teddy Sheringham told him that Alex Ferguson was interested in Noble and that there was a 'very strong interest and that Mark could have gone to Man United in his early 20s.'

Just trying to debunk the criticism of 'he was never good enough to go elsewhere'. Very harsh and completely unsubstantiated.

It's easy to forget how good he was at certain points in his career though; it feels like so long ago. I was watching our 06/07 great escape highlights the other day. Who pops up with a couple of key goals (some proper quality goals too) other than Tevez? A 20-year-old Mark Noble.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Perfect send off created by the fans. No problem with him getting a shirt as a parting gift. He’s a millionaire and doesn’t need anything other than sentimental gifts.

The 3 fire cannons and banners were a bit **** though

Lap of honour and songs deserved.

He should be brought back into learn every bit of how the club is run and coach the kids. Then make him lifetime director of football when he’s ready. Imagine noble being around the place all the time and instilling what it means to the supporters of this club.

Our man on the inside

Deserves a year off though too.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

In his prime, Nobes was as good and very comparable to Danny Murphy who picked up 9 England caps and played about 200 games for Liverpool if memory serves.

Murphy was one of the most underrated players in the league for years. He did his job brilliantly and kept his team ticking over.

Nobes was good enough. West Ham wasn’t fashionable enough.
Colours never run

Never forget...

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 pm Just trying to debunk the criticism of 'he was never good enough to go elsewhere'. Very harsh and completely unsubstantiated.

It's easy to forget how good he was at certain points in his career though; it feels like so long ago.
I didn't hear all of it, but I'm sure I caught Micah Richards before the game on Sunday saying that as he (Richards) was coming up through the England youth ranks everyone agreed that Noble was the best player in the England set-up at any age up to u21s.

I remember he seemed to be in the u21s for ages, and was clearly very highly rated. He obviously wasn't quite a Rooney-style wonderkid (not many are) going straight into the senior squad, but I wonder if his signifcance to the u21s team might have even cost him the chance for an early call-up. No doubt he'd have got one if he'd played for a few other clubs.
Colours never run

It was simply on all of the England managers during his time available that he didn't get picked and only Stuart Pearce recognised his talent and made him England U21 Captain which went on to a Final, only to beaten by the likes of future world cup winners Ozil and Neuer etc...

Just like Billy Bonds, it's a complete bad joke they got overlooked completely at senior level.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:01 pm Never forget...
Another easy one to forget; overshadowed by Payet but a Premier League high of 8 goals from Noble that year and probably his best season in terms of consistent performances (played 37 of 38 games). Showed what he could do when surrounded by quality players.

Like PF said, the face just didn't fit.