Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:14 pm I don't think he's going to be what is commonly a "Sporting Director" like looking for players etc. that's Newman's job.
^This.

He's not going to be negotiating deals with Dan Levy.

He'll be a liaison between different bits of the club - first team players and coaching staff, Board and management, Academy and first team - and an honest broker trusted by all parties and wanting the best for the club. It can only help I reckon.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:36 pm ^This.

He's not going to be negotiating deals with Dan Levy.

He'll be a liaison between different bits of the club - first team players and coaching staff, Board and management, Academy and first team - and an honest broker trusted by all parties and wanting the best for the club. It can only help I reckon.
The dude at the table, who holds no power.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:56 pm The dude at the table, who holds no power.
Power's overrated.

I've never been the person with the most power in any workplace I've experienced, but I get big stuff done through building strong and genuine relationships, good humour, superior knowledge of the subject at hand, and my natural good looks and charm.

I'm sure Nobes will manage that too.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Re: Our new Sporting Director

Post by the pink palermo »

Slowly, but surely, the club are gradually strengthening it's team off the pitch, adding some depth.

A wise choice for both parties, Nobes avoiding the dugout, the club securing his services elsewhere.

The announcement goes to great pains to point out the Manager and Chairman both support the appointment.Perhaps a little too much methinks, but i think for now they will all be on the same page.

Hopefully though we will see a long term evolution of his responsibilities, his professionalism is second to none, and his presence in the Boardroom on matchdays will add some much needed credibility as the club potentially undergoes a change in ownership.

This just might be a piece of long term thinking.

Good news.
painter pete
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by painter pete »

Nailed on caretaker manager if Moyes sacked? To become permanent after a month of good results!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Am I being too cynical in thinking they've invented a job to keep him at the club so he's ready to 'step in' :winker: at a moment's notice?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I honestly don't think it's a "power" role. think he's got a title. and as others have said, a liaison between everyone, be seen around, a conduit if you like between players and coaches maybe, players and maybe the board, be a "sounding board" if you like.

I think to call him a "personal liaison" wouldn't be far off, but they're not going to do that. he'll have some kind of input, he might even work with supporters group, I honestly, yet again, have no clue.

he'll get asked for opinions etc. maybe how to build the academy, what kind of things are needed to improve recruiting kids, all that kind of thing. imvho.

A Catch All perhaps.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:20 pm I honestly don't think it's a "power" role. think he's got a title. and as others have said, a liaison between everyone, be seen around, a conduit if you like between players and coaches maybe, players and maybe the board, be a "sounding board" if you like.

I think to call him a "personal liaison" wouldn't be far off, but they're not going to do that. he'll have some kind of input, he might even work with supporters group, I honestly, yet again, have no clue.

he'll get asked for opinions etc. maybe how to build the academy, what kind of things are needed to improve recruiting kids, all that kind of thing. imvho.

A Catch All perhaps.
Agree with this. I’d imagine that he will possibly travel round Europe visiting other teams and witness their training schedules, facilities etc.

He will be in and around the club some of the time but at other times I’d imagine he will be liaising with his counterparts in other leagues.

He might not have won any trophies or represented his country at senior level however, he played a bell of a lot of games in the PL and will be fairly well known in footballing circles.

This will benefit us and him greatly.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

When he talks, people should listen. That's all he has to do.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 pm When he talks, people should listen. That's all he has to do.
"We're not a circus anymore". Will always haunt him when he said it. But I mostly agree with your sentiment.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Probably been hired to sweep up the changing rooms. Lighten Dec's load a bit.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

His job description is "Be Mark Noble".

Hang whatever "Title" fits the current football jargon on it but that's not important.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:11 pm When does he become responsible for our poor form?
Hearing some on here, he already is.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:36 pm

He'll be like a red coat at Butlins.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm That picture is very misleading. As far as I know it is a club rule that every new member off staff has to do a crossed Hammers sign and say into the camera.
Come on you irons.

This guy doesn't appear to be committed to the cause
That is a Haller smile if ever I’ve seen one. Doubt he’ll last long.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

painter pete wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:05 pm Nailed on caretaker manager if Moyes sacked? To become permanent after a month of good results!
I didn’t think he had his badges?
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Cultural attaché He's here to instill and maintain a culture..the West Ham way if you will. Reckon he was a Moyes pick too, happening so quickly is no coincidence....
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I can’t put my finger on it but I’m not sure about this. I worry he is being set up to act as a puppet. The whole ‘not run like a circus anymore’ I really hope I’m wrong. Think I’d rather have seen him in a tracksuit working with or instead of Nolan.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 502 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Believer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:29 pm Agree with this. I’d imagine that he will possibly travel round Europe visiting other teams and witness their training schedules, facilities etc.

He will be in and around the club some of the time but at other times I’d imagine he will be liaising with his counterparts in other leagues.

He might not have won any trophies or represented his country at senior level however, he played a bell of a lot of games in the PL and will be fairly well known in footballing circles.

This will benefit us and him greatly.
Imagine after a presentation on their role by, say, the Milan Sporting director someone asks Noble what he does … “I meet new players at the airport and crack a few jokes!”
shifty
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shifty »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm That picture is very misleading. As far as I know it is a club rule that every new member off staff has to do a crossed Hammers sign and say into the camera.
Come on you irons.

This guy doesn't appear to be committed to the cause
Whilst on the roof 😁