No Man's Sky

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Up the Junction »

Developers win three-year battle against Murdoch-owned corporation to keep game name:

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-keep ... al-battle/

Makes me even happier that I've never given Sky©® a single penny. Frivolous c***s.
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

First heard about this game a couple of months ago, which is lucky considering the delays it's had.
I don't usually buy games when they are full price but I think I will make an exception for this game.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Game has gone gold :scarfer:
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Early 'reviews' coming in, not sounding wholly positive. But it was unlikely a game with so much hype could ever live up to it all...

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/ ... w-10-hours
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'm hugely torn by this. I want it and I want to play it, but I think it'll get repetitive quickly and paradoxically there doesn't seem like there's that much to do, in spite of the vastness.
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

fjthegrey wrote:I'm hugely torn by this. I want it and I want to play it, but I think it'll get repetitive quickly and paradoxically there doesn't seem like there's that much to do, in spite of the vastness.
Maybe wait for the updates? It sounds like they will keep adding to it.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

This universe we’ve built is a pretty large canvas, we’ve got a lot of ideas. This is the type of game we want to be.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

fjthegrey wrote:I'm hugely torn by this. I want it and I want to play it, but I think it'll get repetitive quickly and paradoxically there doesn't seem like there's that much to do, in spite of the vastness.
Yep.

18 billion billion planets to discover and explore.

I think I'd probably get bored after 18.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I want a story and characters. Or at least an interchangeable purpose.

My ideal game would be something like this, crossed with a Red Dead style character development.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

It's certainly no Starflight.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

TurnbullHammer wrote:[Maybe wait for the updates?
We've had to wait three years for the game - and they want more time!?
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

I think I will get it but I hate having too many games on the go and I need to get Uncharted 4 completed if I am to get into this. But still got about 5 levels to go and it's really becoming a bit of a slog now.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Like the sucker I am, I succumbed to Dayoneitis.

I'm about four hours in, so this is all very much first impression stuff, but my initial thoughts are that those gamers of a certain vintage, who were weaned on Bell & Braben's 1983 masterpiece, will be all over this. Those who prefer linear or story-driven content, less so.

No Man's Sky is basically Elite with the additional content people wanted 30 years ago, but simply wasn't feasible due to the constraints of technology. Essentially the ability to be able to get out of your ship and mooch around gathering resources, rather than be restricted to picking jettisoned cargo up in space.

It IS a massive grind-fest. As was Elite, to be fair, before the expression or notion even existed. It is slow-moving when exploring/resource finding. That isn't going to appeal to everyone.

But for me, for now, it's a cautious thumbs-up.
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

Gave in and bought this on Friday night and I am really enjoying it.

Did read a few negative reviews and I can't really disagree with lots of the issues they have raised. It is a bit buggy, the pop in on the planet surface when you are flying is appalling and the game definitely does have the air of not being quite finished. It does feel like they just didn't have the resources to achieve all the ideas they envisioned.

However having just finished Uncharted 4 and watched the end credits featuring a cast of thousands, it is amazing what this team of about 14 have achieved.

Finding it a very chilled experience, just flying around exploring planets and space stations, building up my weapons and ship. Not finding it too much of a grind, there are plenty of resources around to keep everything topped up and working.

There is something almost old school about it - even the way when you meet aliens reminded me of a classic graphic adventure as you interact with them through text choices. And the flying over planets surfaces reminded me of Rescue on Fractalus from back in the 80's.

So definitely not for everyone, if you are looking for loads of actions and a strong script you wont find it here. But I think it is a far better game then most of the scores suggest and think I will sink a lot of hours into this.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Day Five. Have barely put this down since last Wednesday. It's a winner.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Maybe I'm playing it wrong but it just got so repetitive for me, I don't mind a grind but this just feels like I'm pointlessly grinding to achieve the same thing over and over again.

Warp to a new system, meet the same Aliens in the same looking space station, visit a planet, get some more resources to craft more warp cells to teleport to another system and repeat.

Some of the planets can be beautiful, but there is no reason for me to be on them other than to shoot my laser at some rocks or plants to gather more resources to Warp.

I've warped over 30 times already, gone through black holes, met 30 odd aliens, upgraded my ship etc. but I'm struggling to find a reason to pick it up again now. Unless there is something big that unlocks or opens up later on it feels like I've already seen and done everything there is to do.

Would have got an 8/9 out of 10 over the first 5 hours, slowly dropped down to a 6 for me.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

"This game is an exercise in solitary contemplation":

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/no-mans- ... 05-10aaa0b
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Some of these creatures people are finding be awesome...

War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by War Pony »

Is this not just a toned down version of star citizen?
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

Getting a right hammering online, huge thread on Reddit listing all the parts of the game that don't seem to be there...boss of Hello Games being called all sorts.

Me, I went on for a quick half hour at 9 last night and had to drag myself to bed at 1am...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

I'm (still) with you, '72.