Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by szola »

The game is very gamey without the logo packs. I can get by without the facepacks, but having the real names and badges of teams and comps are a minimum. You know if you can switch between stadia and steam-mode?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I don't think that will work with Stadia being a subscription based platform and Steam a one off purchase.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

I haven't played FM since the 90s. My youngest has recently started working for them and I am in line for a free copy, when the new one comes out. It's made right next to our ground in the new bit by the copper box.
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

The Gibbins wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm I don't think that will work with Stadia being a subscription based platform and Steam a one off purchase.
You don't need to pay for a subscription, games are a one off purchase, paying for a sub, just gets you free content occasionally , bit like PS+ or EA access.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Coming to the PS5 for the first time.

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/fo ... 23-console

For the first time, the depth and drama of Football Manager comes to PlayStation 5. Due to launch on November 8th, FM23 Console (PS5) will be our first release from the Sports Interactive studio on a home PlayStation console.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

The Xbox version is decent in a “lite” kind of way and I assume the PS version will be the same.

Played it a fair bit on Xbox as it is included with game pass.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Has anyone tried FM23 as yet?

I had a go yesterday as it is included with Gamepass and ended up sticking a good 4 hours into it. Not a lot seems to have changed over the 22 version but it is of course still great. For the first time I have a feeling that the West Ham team is probably a bit over rated.

I set myself as WHU manager, basically the same set up and lineup as we play IRL at the moment, but playing a more possession based game further up the pitch to try and dominate. I've won my first 3 league games including away at Brighton. Highly unrealistic.

A couple of minor bugs found too. At one point I had to play Rice in defence as all the central defenders were injured (highly realistic) and the ball got played back to him from kick-off, he put his foot on the ball and stayed standing still like that for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Nobody closed him down and he didn't move.

Gave my AssMan the annoying press conferences and he went out and said he would rather have Scamacca than Haaland :chin:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I guess, at a push it justifies the new title for updating the match engine somewhat but other than that it is a slight update on FM22

I do feel like they should take a break releasing a game every year and just do a patch update for a fee with the updated squads. Every season they release a game, the BETA is always buggy (as expected to an extent) and the issues get addressed somewhat on official release, and usually fixed by the time they release a patch after the January Transfers leaving them only 6 months or so before they release another title with similar issues.

I get they need to make their money, and people like me continually buying it doesnt help, but i feel like they could just sit back for a year and try and get on top of the bugs with the game.

I started a beta save with Derby County and had 5 red card in first 8 games, all straight reds. I dont have any hard tackling or intense tactics (though imo this still shouldnt account for regular red cards). I had to stop playing it and will try again this week now the official title is out. I had strikers running into defensive territory, well out of position and two studding players from behind :crylol: some of the challenges they should have been arrested!
shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

bobby0303 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 am Has anyone tried FM23 as yet?

I had a go yesterday as it is included with Gamepass and ended up sticking a good 4 hours into it. Not a lot seems to have changed over the 22 version but it is of course still great. For the first time I have a feeling that the West Ham team is probably a bit over rated.

I set myself as WHU manager, basically the same set up and lineup as we play IRL at the moment, but playing a more possession based game further up the pitch to try and dominate. I've won my first 3 league games including away at Brighton. Highly unrealistic.

A couple of minor bugs found too. At one point I had to play Rice in defence as all the central defenders were injured (highly realistic) and the ball got played back to him from kick-off, he put his foot on the ball and stayed standing still like that for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Nobody closed him down and he didn't move.

Gave my AssMan the annoying press conferences and he went out and said he would rather have Scamacca than Haaland :chin:

downloaded via gamepass on my laptop few days ago and started as england, actually got to the world cup final. losing 2-1 to france, phil foden was my star man somehow scoring 8 goals at the world cup. first version ive played more than 2 hours on since 2015 version, do not like the newer format of the game at all though
szola

Post by szola »

From what I read here, there is still no good reason to dip back into this game.

For the past few years you hade strikerless formations that broke the game, even with its love for injuries/losing Euopean or title deciding games against AIs who don't have a strong & fit squad. (I did a tweak some years ago, manipulating the injury frequency of top players, in top teams. Their teams were still the best, and the top players were still playing well above average with minor inuries and fatigue)
MB

Post by MB »

I quite like the Xbox version and with it being slim I take it less seriously and therefore get less annoyed with some of the faults.

I did win the league in the second season the last version though…

FM23 is similar so far but some small improvements. Quite realistic as well as I’m struggling to get Paqueta involved, have only just started getting a return from Scamacca and I already have 40 players out injured :crossed:

I try to ignore any of the cheap tactics and instead focus on “real” football.
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

I'm very tempted but have been looking at videos and I'm just not sure what this new one offers even over FM20 which I'm still immersed in 20 seasons on. It does seem that they drip feed a couple of new features every year, whereas maybe the update for a fee is the way forward for a couple of years while they totally rebuild the game.

I'll probably give it a go at some point, if I can bring myself to retire from the empire I've built at Rangers over all this time...
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I’ve prevented myself from buying this year. One of the very few times I haven’t since CM days in the 90’s (maybe the only time!).

Think I did more than 250 hours last year as standard but did not have one of those legendary saves. My best being around 98 when I won the 2006 World Cup with England at Wembley with a load of West Ham youth graduates whilst also winning the quadruple with the Irons in the same year.

It’s a bit of a time vacuum isn’t it and I’m not so sure I can afford investing the hours anymore. The light versions don’t really tick my boxes so I’ll hold off and dip my toe in the ps5 when I fancy an hour or two gaming.

Time to hang up the sheepskin and send my thanks on to SI.
MB

Post by MB »

Yeah I gave up full fat FM a few years back and now just play the Xbox version. Quite good to play on my iPad while the wife has control of the TV and free with game pass.
szola

Post by szola »

Anyone tested the mobile version?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The player interaction has killed the game

You've played well recently
Player - No I haven't
You have

Player now hates you

Repeat for performances, training and god knows what else, the game is totally broken, basically, just don't make any comments or promises unless absolutely concrete ones

Or players on loan for you and away from your club playing 99% of games but because they aren't playing a wing back on attack the manager gets the ump
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The game is just so broken with the layers they've added, taken a young keeper on loan in League 2 from a Prem club, with the clause that he is backup, so barely plays. Out of 21 games he has played 14 but the Prem club has the ump as he is playing as a sweeper keeper and not a keeper, they've just called these games with the players and team relationship. In what rational world would a team be upset with a backup playing 66% of the games and playing well.
szola

Post by szola »

If you ain't teaching the kiddo what the kiddo should learn, you ain't no place for their players :wink:
MB

Post by MB »

fmgod wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:26 am The game is just so broken with the layers they've added, taken a young keeper on loan in League 2 from a Prem club, with the clause that he is backup, so barely plays. Out of 21 games he has played 14 but the Prem club has the ump as he is playing as a sweeper keeper and not a keeper, they've just called these games with the players and team relationship. In what rational world would a team be upset with a backup playing 66% of the games and playing well.
Loan agreements in real life are incredibly complex and cover everything from minutes played to the where and how they are played, what they eat and everything else you could possibly think of. FM has tried to give a flavour of that but without over complicating it. Annoying yes, but any simulation has annoying aspects.

You agreed to their terms…
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

while playing 2021, they still haven't completely fixed the injury problem. neither does it seem they ever want to.

yep, teams do get long term injuries and do get several injuries at a time.

however......it should be random, and not every team "you" decide to play has someone with an ACL or similar injury and be gone for pretty much the entire year.

it doesn't matter pretty much which team "you" decide to play, I'm pretty much guaranteeing that one of the players when you take over has an ACL. and someone else will generally get one or another will get a broken leg. it's never "random."

glad I'm not paying for it....

:winker: