Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by claretandblue82 »

I might give FM18 a go when it's half price on my phone. Tend to buy it ever two years but after a world cup year so was playing FM17 but will wait for FM19 to start playing again properly. Something annoys me starting FM when the WC qualifiers are only half way through. You get more changes ever two years too so it's not too similar.
Wildy

Post by Wildy »

Really liking this years... Might just be because we have a decent transfer budget though...

Sold Sakho and Carroll for around £30 million.

Bought in:

Dembele (Celtic)
Batshuayi Loan
Berrardi

-----------------Hart
Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Masuaku
-----Obiang Kouyate Lanzini

---Dembele Hernandez Berrardi

4-3-3, but 3 strikers rather than 2 wingers.

Beat Chelsea 5-1 second game of the season
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Not really any major changes to game play itself, I suppose that is the problem with an annual release.

Will stick with FM17
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Officially out today! £8.99 for the mobile edition which seems a bit pricey, might wait till it goes on sale. Looks a lot different to last years version.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Finding this enjoyable, possibly the most enjoyable for a number of years.

Did a few dry runs in the beta, and then a few days before the release started the West Ham save.

Finished the first season 5th, just two points off the champions league places. Sold Sakho in January as he didn't want to sign a contract, and brought in Wilshere during the same window. Had brought in a young Jack Harrison as cover for the RM, but he only played a handful of games from the bench, did well in the u23's.

Now in November in season 2, sitting 3rd, and just qualified for the Euro Cup knock-outs with a game to spare. Only brought in Hart during the summer, and shipped out Ogbonna as to give Oxford a chance to run at Fonte. 6 out of 6 at home, although my away form is ropey. Lanzini has started the season on fire, the highest average rating in the league. Antonio is second.

Found that resting the players for a couple of days as per the medical centre reports is critical. (I had the most favourable injury record last season in the league.) Also made sure I spent a lot of time preparing set pieces and bringing in the right coaches.

Playing a structured 4-4-1-1, rotating team mentality and player roles appropriate to the opposition.

Brexit just been announced. 17 foreign players allowed in the 25-man squad from season 19/20.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

You playing the full version or the touch?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Yep i am also enjoying it so far, currently sitting top of League 2 with Coventry after 15 games. I signed Marcus Browne on loan from West Ham for the season and he is doing really well in this league.

The one thing that is annoying me however is the Medical situation, my players are constantly a high injury risk, even if i give them a weeks rest, take them out of matches etc. I am lucky i bulked my squad up, but i am going to need more additions so i can rest players. League 2 is two League games every other week with that bloody Checker Trade trophy chucked in...trying my hardest to throw all cup competitions Allardyce style so i can focus purely on the league.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

fmgod wrote:You playing the full version or the touch?
What is the actual difference?

Never played with Touch.
Hammer1983

Post by Hammer1983 »

Any Hidden gems to sign? What's the best formation you lot use?
PF.

Post by PF. »

fmgod wrote:You playing the full version or the touch?
Full mate
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

Hammer1983 wrote:Any Hidden gems to sign? What's the best formation you lot use?
I have formations I like to use. 4-3-1-2 for attacking somtimes switch to a diamond in the middle. 4-1-3-2 for a slightly more defensive approach and 5-1-3-1 for when i'm playing the likes of Man City and Spurs etc. Seem to be going okish. Currently 12th in the league after 23 games but only got £38m to spend.
PF.

Post by PF. »

Three seasons done. Finished 5th, then 8th, then 5th again.

The second season was in the main down to a Europa Cup journey, where I lost to the Gooners in the final 1-0 (after knocking out Juve in the semis). I have a 50% win percentage, and am an icon to the adoring Irons fans! :wink:

Third season finished on 75 points (the same as 3rd and 4th place, losing out on goal difference). Man Utd are massively dominant in the save, winning the league three seasons running.

Haven't changed the squad massively. Signed Hart for a club record fee, and have Reece Oxford as a regular. Other notable additions have been Trippier, Wilshere and Milner. Troy Deeney is my back-up / alternative to Hernandez in the lone-front man front. I have the oldest squad in the league, and many of the original Bilic squad still commanding a place in the starting 11.

Really enjoyed the three seasons (about 150 hours of gameplay!), but will probably put down for a while now. Overall, decent edition, and the important aspects of injuries and team dynamics can be much better managed with the additional tabs. Nobes is absolutely critical to keeping team morale in shape.

Thumbs up from me.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I am actually having some success on this Football Manager.

Started with Coventry and won League 2 in the first season without spending any money and getting a few free loans. Admittedly i had a pretty good squad that just needed a little bit of bulking in certain areas. I then won League 1 in my second season, but i was fortunate in that i played a few youth players previously in League 2 and they have fulfilled their potential and are now Championship level players. But i think the Championship may be a step too far, but we will see...
I had to offload quite a few players who are either too old or just not cutting it, so I will need to raid the loan market for talented youth and i will need to pick up a few decent free agents as i haven't got a pot to piss in. My last resort would be to sell a talented player and use that transfer fee, but i would rather keep the team together as chemistry levels are very high.

I took the Sheffield United job for the new season however i created another save so i can also carry on with Coventry as well and see how that goes :D
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I can't get into it, not the game it's self but the User interface etc I find the interface horrible, takes more clicks to do things than it did previously.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

This game has been the most enjoyable for me for quite some time.

As opposed to last season's, this one actually prefers that you have strikers. :thup:

The two most efficient tactics I've used have been two sets with 3 strikers up front & 2 wingbacks. The difference between has been that one has 2 midfielders and 3 centrehalves, while the other has the opposite.

With WHUFC these tactics have yielded the League & FA Cup in the first season, the League & FA cup in the second, and the League and Champion's League in the third.

After winning silverware, it is easy to recruit players, though most wonderkids still prefer Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham....

Zappacosta was my first transfer that gave the team a lift, and Pickford, Chalobah, Zivkovic, Fellaini and Herrera after the first season.

Keeping the players happy, by either playing them or giving them new deals seems to be key in sustaining a good run.

I've reloaded now and started fresh with Athletic, as it became too easy with WHU. Btw, the owners sold the club after Gold retired after the first season. New owners bought the Olympic Stadium within a year, and expanded the next...may this turn out to be real life...
szola

Post by szola »

Back to back league wins with Athletic Club Bilbo now, with a Europa League, Copa del Rey win and Champion's League semi final thrown into the mix.

The tactics this edition is three central attackers, wingbacks and three centrehalves :thup:

The AI has been tweaked to cope better with the strikerless formation, but is incompetent to deal with three strikers.
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

szola wrote:Back to back league wins with Athletic Club Bilbo now, .
Are you allowed to buy non basque players in the game or does it stick to the tradition? Always wondered
szola

Post by szola »

It's identical, and when playing Athletic Club can you search for Basque players only.

The age of regens makes it more diffuclt though, as the Basque clubs have their scouts out in the region looking for talent who are younger than the 15/16 years limit in the game.

And as long as ACB play well in the league and CL, your players don't force a move away, and each season at least one of the regnes have 4 1/2 or 5 star potential, most season I'll have three top players coming through. Scouting then becomes less important. It's enough to search the u19 / u21 Spanish and French teams once a season.
NH Hammer

Post by NH Hammer »

Not enjoying FM18 at all,gone back to 17.
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

Not had the greatest time on this one either. Brought in Michael Bradley at CM from Toronto, thought £7m was a decent price but he wanted big wages.

Started playing a 4-3-3 and lost the first 5 of the season, (includes Soton Carabao Cup and games against Arsenal and Chelsea).

Sold Sakho for £15m towards the end of the window and brought in Moussa Dembele (Celtic) for £18m and switched to a 4-2-2. Changed absolutely everything and we were scoring for fun, but ultimately couldn't keep them out at the other end. Highlight was beating Burnley 7-0 at home! Chicha 4 and Dembele 3.

Got sacked at the beginning of Dec. By Jan, Rafa had been sacked at Newcastle so I applied for that one but failed - ended up at Fulham mid Jan on a 6month deal (hoping to do well and have options in the summer). Won 1 drawn 2 so far but making our way up the table. Playoffs isn't totally out of the question.
Transfer budget is minimal though so I'll probably just stick with what I've got.

Playing FM18 Touch as I play on my tablet. Means I can play it to/from work. Don't have the time to play the full version on PC sadly, but really rate Touch and would recommend it.