Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by The Gibbins »

I love FM but i do agree with the above ^ that they need to take some time out. They could always update this seasons transfers for example and sell it as a patch update for FM18. Then they can focus on making improvements when there is time and no pressure or deadlines to release a new title.

I think they give themselves too much to do to turn a game around every season and as its heavily reliant on database updates i think that should be the priority. They release the game in November for a start which is very late in my opinion, then the transfer & patch updates aren't released until February/March time heading into the new year when there is only a couple of months left of that particular season in real life.

A lot of people that are really into the game like to do long saves anyway so they could always prolong a new release as there are areas they can focus on and make the game better. You do get the feeling in some aspects the game is rushed to get it out there and you always have issues with development and silly things like the way goals are scored/conceded, the amount of yellow/red cards etc. In this day and age its unacceptable to release a title for the amount charged where it has bugs, glitches and mistakes especially when they release it a bit earlier for beta testing and improve the majority of issues with the bulky patch update well into the new year.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Also i agree about Miles Jacobsen, he is getting a bit too heated on Social Media. His problem is he wants to be the face for FM when it suits him but as soon as people log a fault or issue with the game he throws his toys out of the pram.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Imo, FM and SI games have never been good in taking up feedbacks from the community, unless they can make a buck.

Their products, and their moderators on the offical site show how little they care about the end product versus the income.

I've been delaying buying the new instalments until its below 50% of the original price. I'll most likely simply continue with my current save. If it's playable come March.

FM is suffering from MJ's leadership imo. They cry out for a new face/lead. The AI is the most difficult to tweak, and what they've missed most years.

This season I've been playing a formation and have a teamtalk routine that has been successful from year one til 2030 (where I'm at the moment). I've now 6 Premier League victories with WHUFC and after four more I'll jump ship. Not that much fun anymore, although I don't really play with the enthusiasm of previous years...
I still haven't won the league on every continent, so that's the goal for this long run.

Not surprised by any strange FM happenings anymore. Gameing it with set tactics and team talks is surprisingly fun. It's laugh to win 5/6/7 nil away to Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, etc.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

FM19.info/FM19Features

New tactics module ✔️ New training module ✔️ VAR ✔️ Match engine AI & match view improvements ✔️ Bundesliga license✔️ Induction system ✔️ Fresh new look ✔️ Lots still to announce ✔️

From Miles, then a few people replying to Miles with logical polite questions and him throwing his toys out the pram again, bloke is a prat
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

They did a new features video on YouTube and started with the home screen changing to Purple and then
went on to sell it hard as if its a really cool feature..

I like the tactical element breaking it down to 3 parts of defence, possession and transition and the training element. However things like VAR and Goal Line tech are just going to get frustrating really quick, i hope there is a feature to turn it off.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

The most fun I had in more recent iterations was taking charge of Tottenham and seeing how much long term damage I could do before being sacked. Then going 'on holiday' and watching my successor(s) trying to balance a squad of former non-leaguers all on massive wages with 'top-earner' clauses, tied to the club for the max allowed time...with the owners having to pump more funds in to stave off administration. There's an art to doing it without getting sacked too quickly to make it irreversible.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I was deep into their recruitment process for the COO position at the back end of last year. They chose a chap from Disney in the end. Certainly all final interview candidates were commercially strong.

I'd hazard a guess that they'll continue driving revenue rather than dramatically improving UX. Expect a noticeable pivot into new streams too.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

No surprise, they've been mainly about revenue for at least the last decade.
Somewhat surprised no-one have been able to challenge them when it comes to the AI. It's still very easy to break.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bought 18. Have barely touched it. My "buy every two years" policy may be relaxed even further.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

had 4 roommates...3 of us were hard core CM01/02 players..had to hunt the CD to get the game booted...

the other 2 played occasionally........loved the game - we spent hours upon hours playing....a Brasilian team challenge, a div 3 challenge, and lower league challenge.....

forget the last one I played may have been FM 2011 - think that was it..

they never fixed the injury problem that recurred every game. half your squad was out, at least 3 with long term injuries. you would spend ages trying to sign someone, only for him to be lost for the season right after you signed him.

players banging in goals from 40 yards very often.

goal keepers turning in 9.5 out of 10 weeks in a row (in fact I think it was a glitch) you would have 20+ shots on target they would have 1 and you would lose 1-0, 3-4 games in a row.

it got to where it wasn't even fun to play. the same injury problems would occur no matter what team you managed. I remember doing it just to see, had 3-4 or more games saved and all of them were the same, your top player would get hurt for almost the whole season.

it should be random. but it wasn't.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Up the Junction wrote:Bought 18. Have barely touched it. My "buy every two years" policy may be relaxed even further.
I think I now just buy it of habit every year now, as I have done for about 20 years, not sure why I do but feels like part of the ritual, order Fifa/Pro, order CM/FM
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I'm sure it has been mentioned on here before, but this is my first time looking at The Gaming Room despite being a lurker on KUMB for years, that you can download CM01/02 for free and apply an updated data patch and a game patch to add features. The game is free as are the patches.

So why would you do this? I last bought FM10 and found some of the new features extremely annoying, like the media stuff and team talks. The multiple choice never reflected what I really wanted to say. CM01/02 is quite basic in some respects but you can get through a season relatively quickly and you still have the fun of building a team, working out tactics and generally enjoying the managerial experience.

The link for all this is:
https://champman0102.co.uk/
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I am still playing mainly to pass the hours when I am at home in the evening..FM 2017

got Bayern

first season 2 broken legs, 2 ACLs and umpteen hernia's pulled muscles etc.

second season very similar

players with no previous injury history get one come back get another, players going down like flies.

if as if there is a built in bug that if you have more than 2 players for 1 position 2 get hurt on a revolving door basis

supposedly I have the best fitness and medical staff I make sure players have strength stamina natural fitness etc etc and guess what

I have the highest injury list in the division

like I say it should be random but it isn't - I can bet your bottom dollar that around December my goalie will go down for 2 months and my star striker will either get hurt for 6 weeks and/or be unable to find the net from now until the end of the season

:asleep:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

The impact injuries are just **** luck but the muscle ones can come down to a number of things like number of matches in a week, high tempo training sessions, whether they have been mistakenly added to the reserve side to gain fitness...or just **** luck with signings as there is a hidden attribute for injuries, so someone like Carroll for example would be 20 and break down almost every other week.

One thing i do for individual players, or even the team after heavy fixture lists is highlight them and give them 3 days off at least....Christmas Period i don't even have training sessions, i just go match to match resting the squad.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I do the same, always adjust the training schedule (well they remind you luckily) but having 2 broken legs and an ACL - now another ACL, broken toes ALL the time I think at least 4 now this season alone....

I also think the game is buggy (2017) and I have looked online - the offside calls..

16 against me in 1 game, 1 for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done the adjustments with faster tempo, have midfield players with good anticipation and vision and the forwards have great attributes, off the ball etc. etc. so that it shouldn't happen that much

and it was top of the table playing bottom of the table....

and 3 of the injuries came against new players just signed so they weren't too knackered AND none have a list of prior injuries or have coach reports saying player could have injury problems.

I DO think there is an inbuilt thing in the programme that if you do a certain thing or hit a certain level something triggers this type of thing.

but I obviously don't know how easy it is to do

there must be something in the crap that they put out that requires them to keep issuing patches year after year after year...and I don't just mean player updates.

as I said - supposedly I have the "best" fitness coaches and the best medical crew and the players are NOT too old or overworked. they still keep going down like flies.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gibbins

for grins I took over Bayern just to see if I could work with a BIG team.

screen pops up and welcome to Bayern etc. etc

haven't done a single thing yet. nothing.

David Alaba torn ligaments 3 months out
Juan Bernat torn ligaments 3 months out
Neuer broken foot or that 3 months out
Javier Martinez ankle ligaments 3 months out

2 other players I can't remember think Thiago 2 months out maybe Lewandowski 6 weeks out

I haven't even set up a training programme or hired any staff

so I went over to Real to see if this was a random thing or a "trigger" type of thing

Modric out for 6 weeks
Kroos recovering from injury 4 weeks
Isco injured out for 4-6 weeks
Kovesevic (sp ?) out for 6 weeks

couple of other players out for 4 weeks or so.

set up a training set up. high for a few days average for a few day match, recovery etc. etc.

players dropping like flies - mostly in game injuries - torn muscles, ligaments, broken foot etc. etc.

following the medical advice team, if a player is available for 60 minutes I play them 45 etc. if 45 I play them for 30

medical staff say to expect 66 injuries over the course of a season. I would hazard a guess that it would be more than that if I continued with the game.

I binned it.

I am not bothered whether I win all before me or that, I want to enjoy a game that at least has an even playing field against the AI - I have to figure out that whatever team you first go to it's triggered that key players get injured immediately or fairly soon into the season. like I say it doesn't seem to be random more geared to whoever you take over they give you these key injuries immediately or almost immediately.

I don't want to use a cheat.

some teams in real life, like ours, get a shyteload of injuries. some go almost injury free so there should be this same type of randomness in actual game play. it doesn't seem to be so. I also don't expect to go injury free either.

the 2017 game I played I got to the third season and it seemed like players who never had an injury problem before or that the medical staff never advised that they could be. I had a large squad and rotated players who were "jaded" or "needed a rest" etc. etc.

1 player got hurt every game he came back and was available for, even when coming on as a sub. 6 games in a row - all the boxes were checked as to strength, stamina, natural fitness etc. etc. etc. Shirley that can't be dumb luck ?

and no it WASN'T Andy Carroll !!!!!!!

:D
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

:lol: well i dont have anything to add to that

I had one season on FM15 i think where i was Birmingham and in the playoffs i had 5 key players injured and was fuming, but where the games came thick and fast i had to take risks. I have never seen it like you have mentioned above, especially at top clubs, though i have limited experience there as i always start League 2 and below and get bored by the time i have a sniff at the Premier League.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

at least West Ham (in real life) got through today injury free !!!!!!

funnily enough I want to say that the old Liverpool team that maybe won the league in say the 60/70's - don't pin me down for the actual year, I think used 14 players.

heavier pitches, no dri-fit uni's, boots that felt like you were wearing weighing ankle weights when they got wet. and a ball like a pudding. well not quite but you get the idea.

and when the fitness guru had a bucket and sponge and they didn't have people like nutritionists.

men were men in those days !!!!

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I wish they would take an extra year out to have a re-think and really work on it without rushing but they won't because they want the money.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Agreed Jacko, or they could at least do a patch update to FM19 with the summer transfers for a small fee whilst working on a new title for the following season. I might take a break from next seasons FM (though i always say that) or see what they work on because in this day and age its completely unacceptable to release a game with the amount of bugs they have. From what i have heard they have a very small development team for a popular title and releasing a BETA version two weeks before release and not addressing the issues anyway just a pointless, especially as they make you buy the game beforehand.