Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Fishbone

Football Manager Series

Post by Fishbone »

It's that same(ish) time of year again where another version of FM is around the corner. Tuesday was the release what is new in the next iteration and seeing as no-one else has posted yet, you can guess it was, on the surface, pretty underwhelming.

Some highlights being...

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIPhF0_S0pQ

* Release date - 7th November. Pre-order can play 2 weeks prior when purchasing from selected retailers.
* New UI
* New player roles
* Improved scouting (and more masking of attributes)
* New match engine graphics
* More media [Sarcasm] YAY! [/Sarcasm]

Where to buy...

As per recent additions, you will need Steam to play. You can buy directly from Steam for £29.99.

CDKeys has the game for £20.99 . Have used before so no problems with legitamacy, however more than likely not included in Beta release.

Greenmangaming have a 20% offer, off of their £29.99 price - code is VBHGBM-JS2VN9-0J5OFM. Expires 10th October. Have used these before as well and has the Beta access.

Still disappointed that they haven't made this a 64 bit game only. Surely only as matter of time seeing as only 15% of Steam users have 32 bit machines.
Last edited by Fishbone on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: FM15

Post by fjthegrey »

I was desperate to play this about a month and a half ago. That urge has subsided completely, to the point where I may not even buy it. 2014 was the first game of the series I didn't buy simply because I was out of the country for so long and wouldn't have got my 150 hours minimum values worth from it. 2009 I clocked up 470 hours.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

that is definitely where they go wrong with this game. They should take a year out (which is what i always do, u can always get a data update for the previous year), get in line with development so that it is finished sometime in august and then after the transfer window just go through updating transfers so that they are ready for a release asap.

i started a game a month or so ago, can't be arsed anymore too.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

You can't go semi-yearly, when it's been a yearly release for so long.

Imo they are always trying to tweak the game to become more realistic.
It isn't SI who've BskyB-ed the English league, and tabloidised the game. So fair game to them for including it in the simulation. The players can always opt out by leaving the talking to the AI.

The tactical side of the game have improved a lot in the last years, and even if there is plenty of potential to better this side of the game, they're on the right path with the emergence of roles.

What I've always have wanted to see more of is a realistic representation of Non-English leagues, and competitions. The game is sometimes ridiculous. I've had for instance six games in sevn days, games played when 90% of the squad is away due to international games.

The development of leagues, and nations are also non-existent. The rise of Belgium, the fall of Italy and so forth are completely missing. England and the English teams are always dominating.

Looking forward to this game as well. A few months on and I'll get bored as always, but it's a lovely way to pass the winter months.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

djclipz wrote:that is definitely where they go wrong with this game. They should take a year out (which is what i always do, u can always get a data update for the previous year), get in line with development so that it is finished sometime in august and then after the transfer window just go through updating transfers so that they are ready for a release asap.

i started a game a month or so ago, can't be arsed anymore too.
100 percent agree. Money is the only reason they do this.

Of course they could take a year out if they want to. They put themselves under so much pressure on the release date how about an extra year to properly think about what they want to do.

The other thing is there are always so many bugs in the first month or so.

Unfortunately all they really care about now are pound coins.
Wildy

Post by Wildy »

jacko wrote:

100 percent agree. Money is the only reason they do this.

Of course they could take a year out if they want to. They put themselves under so much pressure on the release date how about an extra year to properly think about what they want to do.

The other thing is there are always so many bugs in the first month or so.

Unfortunately all they really care about now are pound coins.
It normally takes them till Feb to release a patch that completely irons out all the bugs!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The fact that even SI's head honcho is talking about the match engine being a work in progress says all you need to know.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

How great would it be for them to spend an extra year re-thinking it. Trying some brand new ideas. I find myself playing every new release less and less.

I'm the mug here because year on year there really aren't any major improvements.
Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Hammertapp »

I just buy it every 2 years. Doesn't change enough to warrant a new game every year.
fjthegrey wrote:I was desperate to play this about a month and a half ago. That urge has subsided completely, to the point where I may not even buy it. 2014 was the first game of the series I didn't buy simply because I was out of the country for so long and wouldn't have got my 150 hours minimum values worth from it. 2009 I clocked up 470 hours.
Had 700+ hours on the 2011 edition. Height of my FM years. Successful careers with West Ham, Napoli, Bristol City and one which started with Atletica Ponte Preta in Brazil and ended up as England manager many years later via Bordeaux and Dortmund.

Incredibly, I still managed to keep up a decent social life. Good time management is all you need really.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Hammertapp wrote:I just buy it every 2 years. Doesn't change enough to warrant a new game every year.
I'm with you Ht, with regards to the past four or five editions.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Up the Junction wrote:The fact that even SI's head honcho is talking about the match engine being a work in progress says all you need to know.
The changes they made to stop the through ball exploit broke the match engine and it has never really recovered.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

They should have devoted all their efforts to improving the match engine. It's the whole point of a simulator. They focus on the superficial elements of the match engine, like the textures and graphics, but I would be perfectly content with only having the dots option if it meant the movement of plays was close to reality. I'm not one of these people who are against new features being implemented, I think it adds extra depth to the experience, but they should fix what really matters first.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Scratchy wrote:They should have devoted all their efforts to improving the match engine. It's the whole point of a simulator. They focus on the superficial elements of the match engine, like the textures and graphics, but I would be perfectly content with only having the dots option if it meant the movement of plays was close to reality. I'm not one of these people who are against new features being implemented, I think it adds extra depth to the experience, but they should fix what really matters first.
I still have the dots. My girlfriend actually says "are you playing the dots again?"

Don't need all that 3d nonsense, it looks **** and cheap.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

As do I brother
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

For the addicts (myself included), the beta has been released.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I'll still buy it as for £20ish pound it's a bargain for the amount of hours but can't say it excites me anymore, they should take a year out but that would means millions in lost sales which any normal business isn't going to do.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Fired it up last night. Really happy with the changes that they have made so far, not really got too deep into it yet.

West Ham look a real decent prospect this year (as per real life I guess). No wage budget and minimal transfer budget, but other than a new goalkeeper, you don't really need much else. Current ability wise it would seem that Zarate is our best player

Shame Borg and Oxford are not there (due to child protection laws), but will imagine there will be a data update in due course that adds them in. Not really much else in the youth apart from Reece Burke and Leo Chambers.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Got it but it's proper pissing me off already. The game itself is brilliant, but as soon as you get into a match, the match engine is a mess. Goalkeepers are terrible, crossing and headers are so overpowered, players just stopping, refusing to tackle, giving the ball away, constant daft own goals. Gonna need a lot of fixing before the full release.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Make you right, the keepers are shocking. I thought they were bad last year but this is taking the piss.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Makes you wonder who's doing the testing...