Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by szola »

Jeffcoate321 wrote:Not had the greatest time on this one either.

Started playing a 4-3-3 and lost the first 5 of the season, (includes Soton Carabao Cup and games against Arsenal and Chelsea).
You need to go with wingbacks and a flat three up front. The rest can be tweak as you go along, 2CB + 1DM+ 2CM or 3CD+ 2CM, with different instructions suited to your team.

It'll be high scoring games, and you need to starting 11s so you can rotate.
Do that, and you'll never get sacked.
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

szola wrote:
You need to go with wingbacks and a flat three up front. The rest can be tweak as you go along, 2CB + 1DM+ 2CM or 3CD+ 2CM, with different instructions suited to your team.

It'll be high scoring games, and you need to starting 11s so you can rotate.
Do that, and you'll never get sacked.
we'd do well to have three fit strikers! :D

I'm gonna stick with Fulham for now, the 4-1-2-3/4-3-3 is actually working here!! But will take the points on board. I agree that we scored a lot more goals with 2 strikers and I always struggle against teams playing 4-4-2.

as a side note, what did you do with Arnautovic Ayew and Antonio? Surely they get fed up with a lack of game time?
szola

Post by szola »

Jeffcoate321 wrote:as a side note, what did you do with Arnautovic Ayew and Antonio? Surely they get fed up with a lack of game time?
For some odd reason, Arnautovic isn't suited to be played up front :shock:
So I sold him asap.

Ayew played well, as a striker, for two seasons, and when the first £20M+ offer came along, he was sold.

Antonio was injured for longer spells a few times, and didn't fancy playing as a striker. So he was sold.

Of our current team - Masuaku (sold eventually to PSG), Fernandes (one of the best CMs in the league with the tactic), Hernandez (always good in vital games, scores 20+ goals) is worth hanging on to. Ogbonna is also massive. Noble is a very good squad player into his mid-30s. Oxford is also good.

Neufville is a good prospect, otherwise the regens are much better than the current lot.

I've bought and sold the plenty, as it is better to have a player suited to the position and not have the stats, than have good players not suited to their roles.

Zappacosta came early and cheap, Pickford wanted to leave the relegated Everton, Tierney from Celtic can always be lured by European football and wages, Chalobah came from Watford and has been a very good purchase, Fellaini came on a free and was sold 18 months later for a high fee, Dolberg didn't sign when I activated his release clause he chose Arsenal, so I went and got Schiappacase from Atletico, Zivkovic from Oostende and a lad from Aston Villa Keinan Davis.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Was expected to be in a relegation battle after taking over Sheff United and just about squeezed into the playoffs. Then i lost in the final in Extra time against Boro and Jordan Hugill scored for them...

Proper pissed all over my weekend :(
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Sheff United (spit) is one of the team along with Millwall and Spurs (spit and spit) that I could never manage on FM.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

haha it doesn't really bother me to be honest, im just hoping to get to the Premier League and move on anyway. I always end up going to the Premier League and then moving abroad and flopping on every version since FM15 :D
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Just got it on Amazon for £19.99

first one ive bought for a few years.

The wife will be happy

:D
NH Hammer

Post by NH Hammer »

RayleighIrons wrote:Sheff United (spit) is one of the team along with Millwall and Spurs (spit and spit) that I could never manage on FM.

quite right, never going to happen.
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

The Gibbins wrote: I always end up going to the Premier League and then moving abroad and flopping on every version since FM15 :D
Every single year!!!!!

Last year started with Monaco, dominated the French League for about 4 years, then went to Liverpool and dominated the Prem for 2 years but couldn't win the CL despite coming close so took on the Real Madrid job - flop and sacked within a season!! Ended up as England manager which was a bore when I realised we weren't going to win any tournaments. Had to sack it all off in the end. hahaha

I have a few different games running at the moment, I'm struggling to get into a flow with any of them. My current interest is one with Arsenal. Obviously the weakest of the top 6 and you also have the Sanchez/Ozil situation to deal with.

Currently 4th in the table but Liverpool are only 2pts ahead. Man U and Man City can't be caught. Everton and West Ham just behind me too! Chelsea are slumped in 10th (love that).
Currently on deadline day in Jan and in a massive dilemma with Sanchez. Ozil has signed a new contract and is playing well but Sanchez is refusing to even open discussions. Have transfer listed him and have been offering him to clubs but don't really want to take less than 30m for him.
At the same time don't want to lose him for nothing in the summer. At this point think I'm just going to have to gamble on him going on a free in the summer, or possibly negotiating a contract late on if we do well this season.. proper disappointing stuff either way, knowing my LW options for the rest of the season are Iwobi and Welbeck if I sell up.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Started with Swindon on Friday evening, having not played for quite a few years it took a bit of time to get back into the swing of things, relied on my assistant manager for the first few weeks of the season, didn't like his recommended formation though, so took back full control over training and most other things signed Franck Moussa on a free and a midfielder called Matt Butcher from Bournemouth.

Had a cracking start the season and by Christmas, found myself top, then received an offer too good to refuse for my GK the money could be spent improving certain areas for the run in, had a mixed second half of the season going on a bad run luckily only falling as low as 4th, fell out with some fringe players, including Matty Taylor, over playing time, the squad harmony built up over the first half of the season began to diminish!

Managed to pull a few results out of the bag amongst losing to teams fighting for their lives at the other end of the table and ended up finishing 2nd and gaining automatic promotion behind Coventry.

Was hoping to sneak a play off place at best this season so really happy with how things transpired.

Needless to say I am hooked

:)
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Nice one :thup:

I am also really enjoying this version, but getting into a bit of a rut with Sheffield United in my save. Dominating games but just don't have any clinical players, just full of good creative players and one player that is handy in front of goal. When he is snuffed out i just miss loads of clear cut chances from the other players who get in goal scoring areas and cant finish..
szola

Post by szola »

Gave it go with the mighty Truro City Football Club. Upper half of the National League after gaining promotion. Any good advice from the LLM-s on here?

For some reason I can't hook up with any teams. Without affiliation with a League One/Championship team, no transfer budget and no wage budget, I can't build a team...
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

I am not really any good with LLM on FM, or should i say i have not done many saves. From looking around on forums the main advice i have seen is not necessarily what level a player can perform at but the key stats. There are some players that will for example be a one star rating in the Vanarama south but their finishing and pace is good so they excel on that alone.

So strikers you are mainly looking at finishing, pace or positioning a bonus but as long as the very basic requirements are decent its worth taking them on. I guess heading ability as well if you are playing long ball.
Defenders you mainly look for Marking, heading and concentration to be higher than 5 really at that level.

I think most LLM generally do filters on their search and look for key attributes around the 10 mark, tweaking them slightly lower if needs be to see who is around. there are always players without clubs or those who can just be taken as they are part time players.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Thinking about it now however you have got me in the mood for a Lower League save so i might take a look this week and pick a team. Last time i tried was FM16 with Concord and i got off to a flyer and then lost all my part time players and fell down the league into mediocrity and lost interest. :D
szola

Post by szola »

In League One now with Truro. It is starting to be less of a joy, and more hard work. Thinking of jumping ship, so attending interviews.

So far I've been at 6 -7 clubs, and not one has offered me the job. Even after three back-to-back promotions... b*******
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

As far as nail biting seasons go....

Couldn't really be any closer. Slaven Bilic took over Ipswich and was storming the league, i think they were top literally the whole season and fell out of the automatic places with 2 to go. They then went on to lose in the playoffs as well..

I couldn't afford anyone of note in the Premier League yet i am really over achieving. Sitting 11th, with my signings being a 34 year old Ben Mee, 34 year old Fraser Forster and a 33 year old Islam Slimani on loan who has 11 goals halfway through the season :o

I am pretty much setting up with a compact back five, and a solid midfield three playing on the counter and nicking results. First ever time on FM i have managed to get a back 5 working successfully.
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Gibbins wrote:
Couldn't really be any closer. Slaven Bilic took over Ipswich and was storming the league, i think they were top literally the whole season and fell out of the automatic places with 2 to go. They then went on to lose in the playoffs as well..

I left Swindow to join Ipswich halfway through the season with them in the bottom 3.

Kept them up ,and in my first fall season exactly the same thing happened to me as you have written above.. top for most of the season slipped out of the automatic spots in the last few weeks only to lose in the playoffs..

:o
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

It says a lot to me that no one writes about FM anymore and the new release. I haven't bought it for a couple of years after getting fed up with them launching an unfinished product and then waiting for the updates.

I wish they would take three years out and just make a really good game. Instead the only thing they care about is money.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

jacko wrote:It says a lot to me that no one writes about FM anymore and the new release. I haven't bought it for a couple of years after getting fed up with them launching an unfinished product and then waiting for the updates.

I wish they would take three years out and just make a really good game. Instead the only thing they care about is money.
I used to sink countless hours into it, but haven't bought the last couple. I too often got the feeling that the game would adjust itself at times, no matter what you did. Players would suddenly, inexplicably, and drastically lose form, or predictable but unlikely equalisers would be scored time after time. The media responses and interactions were also far too limited to be of consequence or to allow me to express any personality. It broke my immersion, and that was it.

I suppose that as long as people buy it, they'll keep tinkering with the same formula.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The last good one was about 2012 I think, it's just absorbed it's self, got stale, never actually improved the vital things like match engine and in gameAI, every year it's the new fifa, few more bits of glass, some new features no one asked for, Miles Jacobsen is a tit too