Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

Full length trailer out for Thor and... well, see what you think

Got to admit, I thought that looked like utter cack, so hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the film when it drops
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Didn’t realise that was Christian Bale til I looked on IMDB..
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

New Ms Marvel trailer out

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:11 am Full length trailer out for Thor and... well, see what you think

Got to admit, I thought that looked like utter cack, so hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the film when it drops
Do you like any movie anymore tho? Seem to hate the lot 🤣

For me marvel is very much paint by numbers superhero movies with the odd brilliant movie thrown in (captain America winter soldier, cival war , Thor Ragnarok to name 3 off top of Mt head)

It will be watchable and a solid 7/10 unless it goes to the above status then 9/10
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Have to say, I'm feeling pretty jaded about these trailers and the movies themselves at the moment. After years of a steady diet of superhero films and shows, and I'm kind of yearning for a film for grownups, especially where going to the theater is involved. Not that Marvel & DC films aren't for grownups. You know what I mean.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

I thought Thor Ragnarok was pretty good. Enjoyed the new trailer as well.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:49 pm Do you like any movie anymore tho? Seem to hate the lot 🤣
I wasn't too thrilled with much of phase 3 of Marvel, until Ragnarok (which I didn't like much when I first saw it, but came to love in rewatching), and Infinity War/Endgame which eally raised the game.

In phase 4, Black Widow was meh, Eternals was downright bad, and Dr Strange was OK.

I have liked almost all of the Marvel TV series, though with the honourable exception of Hawkeye they've all had some pretty major issues (too slow start to WandaVision, sticking the ending for most of the others, being generally boring as hell for Loki)

As for DC films, I haven't yet seen one that I'd class as even "good" yet - most of them have been utter garbage, and they actually seem to be getting worse rather than better (eg Aquabro, Shazam, Wonder Woman 84, The Batman). On the other hand, the Peacemaker TV series was pretty good - infinitely better than any of the films.

I don't think it's superhero fatigue, I think several of the more recent films just haven't been very good (notably GotG2, Ant Man & the Wasp, Black Panther) and while I want to be enthusiastic about them, I'm not going to forgive poor execution.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

WCpete wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:34 pm Have to say, I'm feeling pretty jaded about these trailers and the movies themselves at the moment. After years of a steady diet of superhero films and shows, and I'm kind of yearning for a film for grownups, especially where going to the theater is involved. Not that Marvel & DC films aren't for grownups. You know what I mean.
I get what you mean - I'm surprised after Logan that there's been no serious attempts to do something else along those lines. I guess The Batman kind of tried that a bit, but it was so utterly crap that I can't take it seriously.

Everything Everywhere All At Once isn't superhero, but is kind of adjacent, and that's had really good reviews - haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to that one
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Not really sci fi but one for Elsie

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/43029 ... ic-images/

‘Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey’ — Violent New Horror Film Reworks A Childhood Classic

A mysterious upcoming horror film titled Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey has appeared on our radar today, and we have questions. The very indie horror title is reportedly in post-production
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

wolf359 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:05 pm Not really sci fi but one for Elsie
Ha, thank you kindly sir but that looks... well, what's a nice way to say "fuckawful"? :) There was a horror re-working of The Banana Splits not too many years ago, and that was crap too, alas.

I'm not quite as enthused by the Horror genre as I once was. It's not that I've gone off it so much as there's just so much crud to sift through in order to find the odd diamond here or there. It's exhausting. These days, I'm far more into Kung-Fu films, noirs from the 40s/50s and their neo-noir contemporaries, gritty seventies movies and of course my beloved spaghetti westerns.

That said, I'm very interested in this one, currently causing a bit of a stir amongst the horror festival crowd:

(with apologies to Kludge for the brief off-topic)
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I tried to watch both Moon Knight and Loki and gave up after 3 and 2 episodes respectively. All this jumping around worlds and dimensions and Gods business is too far removed from the world of Iron Man who offered the best series I think. It is taking me longer and longer to get around to watching each new Marvel release so I think my enthusiasm has defintely waned. Another thing I feel Marvel lacks, are strong iconic villains. Thanos probably represented the most fleshed out villain with depth of character. But the others just seem to be these interchangeable God-like entities without any defining characteristics. This is the department where I feel DC performs better, particularly with Batman's range of adversaries.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:26 pm But the others just seem to be these interchangeable God-like entities without any defining characteristics. This is the department where I feel DC performs better, particularly with Batman's range of adversaries.
I miss that Purple megalomaniac, it has not been the same since. But I agree what is wrong with a Joker style 'I want to see the world burn' villain?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

wolf359 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:31 pm But I agree what is wrong with a Joker style 'I want to see the world burn' villain?
Batman villains are great because Batman is just a bloke with some toys.

It doesn't work with Marvel as the heroes tend to be so ridiculously powerful. They need something with equivalent or superior strength to clash with so there isn't some silly mismatch.

Have said it many times before but the bigger the stakes with superhero films, the less interesting they are, both conceptually and narratively. The entire Universe being under threat is far less interesting than the corner of a little city somewhere. It's probably ticking the same psychological boxes as those charitable adverts that make a plea for your money by telling the story of one little girl, as opposed to hitting you with the story of an entire group of people, including that little girl. Statistically people give way more to the individual compared to the collective.

I would love there to be a Rorschach film, where he just patrols his little beat in New York and takes on the underworld in a pocket of the city. That sort of thing could be relatable, and have stakes you can care about. Gods knocking buildings over in magical CGI worlds full of bright lights and unicorns is pretty tedious. Especially if it takes itself too seriously (which that latest Thor film admittedly did not and was quite good as a result).
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:26 pm Another thing I feel Marvel lacks, are strong iconic villains. Thanos probably represented the most fleshed out villain with depth of character. But the others just seem to be these interchangeable God-like entities without any defining characteristics. This is the department where I feel DC performs better, particularly with Batman's range of adversaries.
Hmm... not so sure. Spider-Man's set stand up well to Batman's IMHO.

In fairness, compare just about anyone else in DC to Batman and their collection of villains looks pretty pathetic TBH (Superman has Lex Luthor and ....erm... Flash has the Rogues (who are IMHO all bloody stupid characters), WW has Cheetah (ditto) and ... ern... Aqaubro has Black Manta (a theme developing here!) and ...erm... , Shazam has Sivana and sort of Black Adam)).

In Marvel, beyond Spider-Man, you do have much the same problem, Thor had Loki and various god-tier threats like Hela, Surtur and now Gorr; Captain America has the ever-crappy Red Skull and not a lot else; Iron Man had a wide range of weirdo - Melter, Crimson Dynamo, Whiplash, Titanium Man, none of which translate terribly well to the screen and Mandarin who they did about the best they could with in IM3. Ant Man, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, have all got pretty much no-one worth mentioning. Avengers have got various iterations of the (embarassingly stupidly named) Masters of Evil, plus Kang, Ultron (who's already been done, very badly), the Kree and Skrulls (who've been nabbed for elsewhere). However, once you open up the pandora's box of F4 and X-Men... Dr Doom, Magneto, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Shiar/Imperial Guard, Sentinels, Apocalypse (though horribly wrecked in that abortion of a film from Fox)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 pm Everything Everywhere All At Once isn't superhero, but is kind of adjacent, and that's had really good reviews - haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to that one
OK scratch that one - watched it last night and it really didn't live up to the expectations. It's an interesting film - kind of Sliding Doors meets Multiverse of Madness mixed with 80s comedy kung fu film and a massive amount of saccharine sentiment. It's certainly ambitious but I don't think the film really works - it's certainly at least half an hour too long, and the comedy elements feel totally out of place and fall really flat.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First 3 episodes of The Boys are out in the wild - haven't had a chance to see any of them yet
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:20 pm First 3 episodes of The Boys are out in the wild - haven't had a chance to see any of them yet
Pretty wild would be a good description for them.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Opening scene of s03 of The Boys. - absolutely fookin’ bonkers.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Homelands...what a tosser. :lol:

"Eat ****ing Timothy"...
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Trailer for the upcoming Predator prequel: