Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by WCpete »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:09 am That's a weird story - it's coming out in dribs abd drabs, but it sounds so far like he ran over his own legs with a snow plough. Hard to picture how you do that
Yeah, a little. It does happen though. A good friend of one of my good friends died by falling out of his riding lawn mower and having it run him over. His wife witnessed it happen. I don't like to think about the horror of that. Anyhow, the plough Renner was using was big and if it flipped with him in it it could easily have crushed him. I post this link only to show his driveway and the machine he was using. I know using the link adds to the general toxicity of the world. The Lake Tahoe area has been submerged in snow. They were getting 7 inches an hr for a while over the last few days. It would have been easy to hit a blanketed boulder and flip over.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -home.html
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

According to details that came out today, the snowcat he was using started to roll away on it's own (presumably left running), Renner tried to jump aboard to stop it but fell off and under it.

Kind of darkly ironic for an action star to be injured by hos own clumsiness, but sounds like he's at least out of danger now.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Full trailer now out for Ant-Man & Wasp Quantumania

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Looks like they actually did a good job with Kang the Conquerer.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Ant-Man will be huge for setting all of Phase 5 so I’m looking forward to it and leaving the **** that Marvel came out with over the past few years behind.

Also think Ant-Man are one of the most underrated Marvels’. Smaller in scale which I quite like.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

The first Ant-Man was great - the 2nd suffered badly from 2nd-in-series syndrome (as did Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Avengers 2, Thor 4 (as the 2nd of the Waititi Thorbro series), GotG 2); really hoping this one sticks the landing to set up an epic phase 5.

I've not been that enthralled by either of the trailers, depite the spectacle on show - it all feels kind of empty. They really need to set up Kang as an Thanos level threat in this one.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

It just looks like a video game to me.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

New trailer for Shazam 2 is out and.... well see what you think

Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

WCpete wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:47 pm It just looks like a video game to me.
so how exactly was you imagining the quantumverse to look like?...
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Mr_incredible wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm so how exactly was you imagining the quantumverse to look like?...
Believe it or not, haven’t given that one much thought.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

I wasnt meaning it as a dig. Ive mentioned before about the superhero genre and obviously its comic book heritage and lets face it a lot of it is based in fantastical worlds in which otherworldly events take place.....like characters getting torn apart as if going thru a paper shredder in this trailer. Stuff like this is hard for it to not look like a cartoon...in fact im sure for various reasons its even supposed too. Marvel not too keen on anything feeling violent or bloody. I guess some people like the 70's tv spiderman in a suit and some like the cg versions swinging from building to building almost like theme park ride. Im with you in a sense that Marvel in particular do seem to rely too much on cg and digital environments and if you have nothing real you can easily feel detached from the whole story. I really hope that the movie hangs together and gets things back on track a little...been a while since i've really cared or thought Wow.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1640 likes

Post by last.caress »

The new improved "DCU" has been unveiled by James Gunn and Peter Safran, with a slate they're calling "Gods and Monsters":

FILMS

Superman: Legacy - reintroducing Superman at a young(ish) age, but not another origin story. Being written by Gunn, may or may not be directed by him
The Authority - ensemble movie about an ends-justify-the-means group of antiheroes
The Brave and the Bold - reintroducing Batman to the DCU along with the extended Bat-family, starting with the Damian Wayne version of Robin
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - Um, Supergirl
Swamp Thing - Pitched up at the "horror" end of the superhero subgenre

TV SHOWS

Creature Commandos - animated show, will feature Weasel from The Suicide Squad. The actors who wind up cast to voice the characters will be slated to play those characters in live-action projects further down the line
Waller - looking likely to serve as a continuation of the Peacemaker TV show, Waller will star Viola Davis in the title role (Davis is the only actor confirmed in any role in this new DCU so far)
Lanterns - "Huge, HBO-quality event" show with a True Detective feel, focusing on Hal Jordan and John Stewart
Paradise Lost - Game of Thrones-ish show about Themyscira before the birth of Wonder Woman
Booster Gold - pitched at the "comedy" end of the superhero subgenre. A loser ex-football player goes back in time and sets himself up as a superhero

Matt Reeves'The Batman movies and spin-off shows are still ongoing outside of and separate to the DCU. as is Todd Phillips' Joker sequel.

As things stand right now, the door remains open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to play their versions of, respectively, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash and Shazam in the new DCU. Henry Cavill is definitely out as Superman, though

https://www.variety.com/2023/film/news/ ... 1235507426
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

That's an interesting slate - lives up to Gunn's prediction about a mix of big names and relatively obscure one. Looking it over, I'm enthused about ... well, none of them to be honest. Tbe Authority has the most potential to be something different, I guess - that has the best opportunity to be distinct from what Marvel are offering, but at the same time, is going to have to stand comparison with The Boys, which is going to be tough competition.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Not another Batman!
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

The brave and the bold?

Are they also gonna bring back The young and the restless?
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Just saw Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Coogler, 2022) on Disney+. Pretty enough picture but found the movie on the whole to be a slog. It felt oddly both padded out with nothing and too busy all at once. I don't buy into Letitia Wright as the lynchpin of this arm of the MCU whatsoever.

Thor: Love and Thunder was disappointing. Wakanda Forever met my low expectations; I thought it was going to be a chore and it was. I haven't seen Black Adam yet and I'm pretty underwhelmed at the prospect. Quantumania looks like a silly-bollox videogame as observed already by Peter above. The new Shazam film looks shazit. I can't stand Damian Wayne and yet the last DC animated movie focused on him (as have several previous) and we now discover that the new DCU Batman movie features the character too.

I'm not saying that all or even any of these projects are definitely going to be rubbish - I very much hope they're not; I'm hoping one of these pictures reignites my excitement for the universes being built within - but I'm not excited for any of it at present, MCU or DCU. I really should be showing a little more faith in James Gunn since I loved Super, the first Guardians movie and The Suicide Squad but I keep looking at that "DCU" reboot and, as things stand in the here and now, all I can really think is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Still very interested in the separate The Batman and Joker properties though.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

claretandblue82 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:59 pm Not another Batman!
Batman should have a film every 5 years.

As important as James bond.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:06 pm Batman should have a film every 5 years.
In fairness, he's been in something like fifty movies in the last 15 years.

Not that I'm complaining. The world can always use more Batman as far as I'm concerned. 🦇
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Of all the upcoming films mentioned on this thread page, it's the next Joker film I'm most interested in. I sincerely hope they don't screw it up and sully the brilliance of the first one by association. I know Brendan Gleeson is in the new film , probably just in a bit part. Nevertheless, I love Brendan Gleeson, so that adds to the promise of a good sequel.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:06 pm Batman should have a film every 5 years.

As important as James bond.
Oh yeah, I’m not complaining about another Batman film, it’s more another actor. We’ve had Affleck, Patterson and Keaton is set to return in The Flash, in the last six years. Bale wasn’t that long ago. Now another one.

There has been one actor as James Bond over the last 15 years. Whereas there will be 5 actors who will have played Batman in that time span.

I hope Gunn can turn it around but it’s a big ask, a 10 year old mess thats had no real direction, and will people have had enough by the time it’s launched.