Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

smuts wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:32 pm Someone needs to tell Waititi he's nowhere near funny as he thinks he is.
As a writer, he desperately desperately needs someone else as director to reign him in, and to provide some quality control. As director, he desperately needs someone to tell him not to act and direct.

Cut out all the unfunny schtick with the hammer, and Korg, and Zeus, and all the shitty romcom b*llocks of Thor and Jane's relationship and ideally do either Mighty Jane or Gorr as the main theme rather than doubly half-arsed versions of both and you might have a decent film.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Slightly better second half but still poor. Even Thor 2 was better.

And although I like Guns n Roses...how many times did we need to hear the Sweet Child intro riff?
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Moving on from L&T, there's a new trailer for Black Adam out, complete with portentous voice-over

Every one of the trailers for this have looked awful, IMHO, so I'm not wildly optimistic that this is going to be the first good DCEU movie.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2490 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Looks pish. Their animated stuff is genuinely of the very highest calibre. Their live action stuff is as anodyne and predictable as it comes.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Here's a deleted scene from Thor: Love & Thunder.

That really is a whole new level of utter crap - makes the released film look like a masterpiece in comparison
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:07 pm I'm not wildly optimistic that this is going to be the first good DCEU movie.
There's literally no possible way that it can be the first good DCEU movie, since there have already been several: Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (the extended cut), Aquaman, Zack Snyder's Justice League, The Suicide Squad... all sit between "bloody good" and "outf***ingstanding".

:)
smuts

Post by smuts »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:53 pm Looks pish. Their animated stuff is genuinely of the very highest calibre. Their live action stuff is as anodyne and predictable as it comes.
The Harley Quinn cartoon is brilliant. Extremely funny.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:55 pm There's literally no possible way that it can be the first good DCEU movie, since there have already been several: Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (the extended cut), Aquaman, Zack Snyder's Justice League, The Suicide Squad... all sit between "bloody good" and "outf***ingstanding".

:)
Hmm, my ratings are slightly different - in order: Meh blending to awful, utter crap, utter crap, so awful I couldn't get past the first 90 minutes or so, and wildly overrated.

Seriously though - I know you have a blind spot for Snyder's many many failings, but you even like Aquabro? Why? What do you see in it? I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in providing a detailed analysis in that I've not watched any of them more than once, but my immediate reaction to Aquabro was that it was literally one of the worst films I'd ever seen - obviously, not Shazam or WW84 levels of terrible, but really really bad.
smuts

Post by smuts »

I enjoyed the second Suicide Squad...the rest? Nah, not for me.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm you even like Aquabro? Why? What do you see in it?
Well, it's a romp, isn't it? A good old-fashioned caper, like adventure movies used to be before they all turned into superhero pictures. There's no possible way to make a gritty, grounded and realistic movie about Aquaman, so James Wan doesn't try to, instead leaning hard into the camp improbable nonsense of it all; the comic book trappings, the Saturday morning serial-style sense of bravado, of derring-do. I saw a review at the time describe it as Indiana Jones meets SpongeBob SquarePants. The reviewer made that comparison in its most complimentary sense and I think he/she was spot-on.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm Hmm, my ratings are slightly different - in order: Meh blending to awful, utter crap, utter crap, so awful I couldn't get past the first 90 minutes or so, and wildly overrated.

Seriously though - I know you have a blind spot for Snyder's many many failings, but you even like Aquabro? Why? What do you see in it? I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in providing a detailed analysis in that I've not watched any of them more than once, but my immediate reaction to Aquabro was that it was literally one of the worst films I'd ever seen - obviously, not Shazam or WW84 levels of terrible, but really really bad.
Amber herd was a good watch.

but seriously its a bit of escapism , half the rubbish films out there..
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Caught Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) today. It was... okay. I've forgotten much of it already tbh; I recall enjoying the goats immensely, but I also thought that Gorr the God-Botherer's motivations seemed sketched-in/rushed; that Zeus seemed played for laughs but wasn't funny; that the cameo-heavy theatre production was played to far greater effect in Thor: Ragnarok, and was entirely redundant here; and that Jane Foster turned into Thor because... reasons? I guess?* Still, the movie was a bit of simple candy floss which didn't take itself seriously - a good thing for an MCU picture since it's a strength of theirs - although it threatened to spill into outright, piss-rippng parody too often for me. Ultimately, it was a decent enough middling-to-good effort. Nowhere near as good as the best the MCU has had to offer, but nowhere near as bad as the worst either (the worst being the first two Thor movies imho. Those, and that dreadful, deeply disappointing What If..? show).

I have to say though: I was considerably more impressed by Lightyear (MacLane, 2022) which I also saw today; and way, WAY more impressed by Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) which I finally caught last night (we took up a month of Disney+ for £1.99). Best movie of the Predator franchise? Possibly. Probably. Looking forward to rewatching it ASAP with the Comanche dub.

*I'm sure there was an explanation somewhere which I obviously missed but I can't imagine that any explanation given would've been a satisfactory one.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Prey is brilliant.

Thor Love and Thunder is even worse than Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

last.caress wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:25 am I find it a bit perplexing that there have been four Thor movies - more within the MCU than for any other individual superhero - and, as yet, there's still no Beta Ray Bill.
It could have been Beta Ray Bill fighting Hulk in the Sakaaran Arena in Thor: Ragnarok (which took large chunks from the Planet Hulk story). If I recall correctly, it was Silver Surfer in the comic, but Beta Ray Bill in the animation.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

last.caress wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:09 pm
*I'm sure there was an explanation somewhere which I obviously missed but I can't imagine that any explanation given would've been a satisfactory one.
Thor tells Mjolnir to keep Jane safe in one of the earlier movies. That’s why the shattered hammer ‘calls out to her’.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:33 am Thor tells Mjolnir to keep Jane safe in one of the earlier movies. That’s why the shattered hammer ‘calls out to her’.
I picked up on that bit Leon, and that definitely explained why Mjolnir had abandoned Thor for Jane (well, I mean it explains why Mjolnir abandoned Thor for Jane to some extent. Doesn't quite cover why it doesn't go back to Thor as soon as Thor wants it back, but still). But I was still uncertain as to why/how Jane had actually become Thor. Does the power to become Thor derive specifically from the hammer, then? If so, how was Thor still Thor?

This wouldn't have happened in a DC movie. Batman is still Batman even without his Batarangs. :)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Part of the general crapness of the movie is that it's utterly bodged the whole Jane Thor thing.

In the film, the idea is that Thor has told Mjolnir to look after Jane (thereby, and not for the last time, pulling a new power out of his butt to fit the plot) and so the smashed hammer (exhibiting another pulled out of someone's butt power) reassembles itself and powers up Jane. Now, Jane gets the Thor power by holding the hammer, based on Odin's original enchantment from the first film (and umpty thousand comics) "whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".

The trouble is that, by Thor's "look after Jane" meddling, there's no sense that she actually is worthy, so shouldn't have inherited the power of Thor, whereas the whole point of the original story in the comics was that she was worthy to take over from Thor when he was (for convoluted reasons) temporarily unworthy.

Also, if the hammer can reassemble itself for Jane, why couldn't it for Thor? Erm, because reasons and .... waves hands .. ooh look a squirrel, don't look behind the curtain, move on with the film.

And why was the hammer both empowering and killing Jane? I wouldn't swear to this, but I don't think this is actually answered in the film, beyond the use of the power exhausting her. Which makes no sense at all, whereas in the original, the magic of the hammer was purging the chemo from her system when she changed back to mortal Jane, which makes a hell of a lot more sense. I wouldn't swear to that last one, and I haven't been able to summon the enthusiasm to re-watch the film to check.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 pm Well, it's a romp, isn't it? A good old-fashioned caper, like adventure movies used to be before they all turned into superhero pictures.
Different strokes for different folks - I just can't accept that in a film. It can be a romp, but it has to still have innate quality of script, FX etc for me to not be completely taken out of the film, and Aquabro fails that on every level - script, plot, acting, ****ing appalling SFX; it's the same reason I can't accept The Batman (terrible cliched script and plot based on coincidences and stupidity), Justice League (script, plot, acting, SFX, directing), Black Panther (elements of plot, awful SFX), Wonder Woman (plot, acting, script, SFX), and outside the superhero genre, things like Independence Day (plot, plot, plot, script, plot, dogs outrunning explosions, uploading alien viruses written in 10 minutes, aaargh!) etc etc.

I don't immerse in the film when I spend all my time going "jeezus, another cliche", "my god, not another crap slow motion montage", "that character looks like they've been drawn onto the film in crayon by a 3 year old", etc etc.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am And why was the hammer both empowering and killing Jane? I wouldn't swear to this, but I don't think this is actually answered in the film, beyond the use of the power exhausting her. Which makes no sense at all, whereas in the original, the magic of the hammer was purging the chemo from her system when she changed back to mortal Jane, which makes a hell of a lot more sense. I wouldn't swear to that last one, and I haven't been able to summon the enthusiasm to re-watch the film to check.
I believe the hammer wasn’t killing Jane, but simply preventing her body from fighting the cancer whilst she was empowered.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:49 am I just can't accept that in a film. It can be a romp, but it has to still have innate quality of script, FX etc for me to not be completely taken out of the film... I don't immerse in the film when I spend all my time going "jeezus, another cliche"
But all superhero movies are inherently cliché-laden and full to bursting with plot contrivances, aren't they? To differing degrees, sure, but to significant enough degrees in every instance that to complain about a paucity of believability in some of them sounds a little arbitrary. We need to park our brains outside the cinema just a little bit for every one of them. Stack them up against proper movies and their shortcomings become apparent all over the shop. I compiled a list of my favourite 100 movies once upon a time (because I'm a nerd, but don't tell anyone; I've disguised it pretty well and everyone around here thinks I'm as cool as f*** :) ) and only a couple of superhero pics made the list, with none in the top fifty. Even looking at some of the best the genre has to offer such as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or Shazam! :) , they simply can't hold a candle to Mulholland Drive or Traffic or Dog Day Afternoon or Goodfellas.