Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by last.caress »

I'm going to wait until The Book of Boba Fett has concluded, then I'll reinstate my Disney+ account and binge it. I might binge all the MCU shows I've missed out on while I've got Disney+ back (that's all of them except WandaVision), but I might not. I'm not that fussed about those, but I do really want to see TBoBF. And season 3 of The Mandalorian, if/when that shows up.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:44 pm I'm going to wait until The Book of Boba Fett has concluded, then I'll reinstate my Disney+ account and binge it.
I don't know if you shop there but if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can get three month of Disney+ (just once per account) with £8 of vouchers which is a really good deal.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

I didn't know that, Wolf. I don't do the Clubcard thing but mrs.caress definitely does, so I'll get her to look into that. Cheers! :newthumb:

EDIT No, according to the missus that's a non-starter; she gets all her clubcard vouchers in November or something like that as part of some Christmas savings scheme. I dunno, I stopped listening tbh. But, the upshot is that she hasn't got any clubcard vouchers, and won't be getting any for another 10-11 months. Oh well. Cheers though. It's still a good deal. :newthumb:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

last.caress wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:29 pm
EDIT No, according to the missus that's a non-starter; she gets all her clubcard vouchers in November or something like that as part of some Christmas savings scheme. I dunno, I stopped listening tbh.
my ex wife once told me

"There's two things wrong with you. One you don't listen.........." and something else.....

:crylol:
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

New trailer out for Twighlight Batman

Maybe I'm just so jaded with the DC movies that I can't judge anything fairly any more, but that looks like utter dogshit to me: everything filmed in a coal cellar at midnight (which is a bit of a trope for Batman, admittedly), husky voices and meaningful looks and it just all seems so po-faced and empty.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:37 am New trailer out for Twighlight Batman
Problem with Batman is they made Batman begins and the Dark Knight (they dropped the ball with TDKR but 2 out of three.) There isn't anywhere to go from there, you cannot be Ledgers' Joker so everything else you make is poor through that lens.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:37 am Maybe I'm just so jaded with the DC movies that I can't judge anything fairly any more, but that looks like utter dogshit to me: everything filmed in a coal cellar at midnight (which is a bit of a trope for Batman, admittedly), husky voices and meaningful looks and it just all seems so po-faced and empty.
:smiler: I think it looks (potentially) terrific! Like almost all Batman movies, how good it'll be will probably hinge on how good the villain is rather than how good the guy in the cowl is, and The Batman's Riddler as portrayed by Paul Dano seems intriguing to me from what glimpses I've been afforded so far by the trailers.

Of course, I thought Jared Leto's Joker looked intriguing in the Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) trailers; in fact I still think there's potential to portray the Joker that way, despite understanding and even agreeing with many of the objections put forward by just about everybody on Earth. So I dunno, maybe I've been hitting the advocaat too hard this Christmas. :)
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Yeah I'm not feeling it for The Batman either to be honest.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

After catching Spiderman at the cinema I then delved into Shang Chi. 9/10 and 8/10 respectively. This evening I've watched Venom 2. It might even be worse than the previous film. Maybe 5/10.

Only Loki and the second Ant Man film left.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Watched the new spiderman yesterday. Really enjoyed it and knew nothing about the plot etc on the way in which helped. Felt about 20 minutes too long but seems to be an issue with most films these days.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Finally caught Eternals, now that it's out on streaming. Very pretty to look at, but what a load of old bolleax; and my god, it was soooo slloooooow.

I did like the speed effects for Makkari - certainly makes the running-through-treacle efforts of DC with the Flash look pretty stupid, if they needed any more help.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Boba Fett 3 was bloody terrible.

An awful speeder bike chase with people crashing through fruit stalls and water tanks at about 5mph, Fett recruits a badly acted teenage gang who call him "mate" in mockney accents and he now tells his companion off for coming on too strong because she draws a gun on someone.

Hope this improves because it's pretty lame so far.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Smuts is right. This show is awful. Clip of the space vespa chase...
smuts

Post by smuts »

I enjoyed the second episode but this was dire.

The speeder "chase" was embarrassing.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Late to the dance as ever but caught Venom: Let There be Carnage (Serkis, 2021) tonight. It was... okay. Better than the first one for sure (not that that's saying an awful lot), which I re-watched for only the second time earlier today and which I thought was better than the first time I saw it, but only slightly.

I'm not keen on the oddly flat attempts at making Venom a kind-of goofy property; I always thought of him as a real handful, with potential to be genuinely terrifying. Instead, these Venom pictures feel not entirely unlike limp retreads of The ****ing Mask or something. Somebodeh ssssssstop meeeee!

Still, the Venom symbiote - and Carnage even more so - look fantastic, I'll give them that. And, in isolation, away from my dashed hopes/expectations for the character, V:LTbC is an easy enough watch. I've seen many better superhero movies but I've seen many worse too. Far worse.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Venom does look the part but I can't sit through another film. - after 15 mins of LTBC, I remembered why I hated the first one and switched it off.

I think it’s quite clear by Marvel’s showing at the end of No way home, they have absolutely no intention of letting Hardy’s incarnation of the villain sh*t all over their spider-verse.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:44 pm I'm going to wait until The Book of Boba Fett has concluded, then I'll reinstate my Disney+ account and binge it. I might binge all the MCU shows I've missed out on while I've got Disney+ back (that's all of them except WandaVision), but I might not. I'm not that fussed about those, but I do really want to see TBoBF. And season 3 of The Mandalorian, if/when that shows up.
I struggled with WandaVision, but tbf all the programmes on Disney seem to take an age to get going. Enjoyed it in the end, so sticking with TBoBF hoping it's the same.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Just saw trailer for a new Marvel series called Moon Knight at halftime of Rams game. No clue what that is.

Found it.

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Very loosely, MK is Marvel's sort-of analogue of Batman; but with mutiple-personality disorder, and powered up as an avatar of an Egyptian moon god.
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First (?) trailer out for season 3 of The Boys

EDIT: due out on June 3rd