Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by WCpete »

Genius? 😳
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

It's entirely in the spirit of the original comics - as to whether it worked... well, you've got to admit, it's certainly different
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Yeah, I appreciate that it follows the spirit of the comics, and I haven't read them, which I'm sure is part of my problem. This series annoys me because it's another show in a seemingly long string of shows from one of the main current entertainment providers where it just feels phoned in. Is the 4th wall meta thing clever or different? I'm not feeling it. Blazing Saddles did it better 50 years ago. It isn't original. I know, I should stop watching and I should stop complaining. This and Rings of Power. I don't watch many series because I don't have the time. I end up watching what my kids want to watch. A little QT, such as it is, with the kids. I still want to be entertained though, and I get annoyed when what I'm watching ends up aggravating instead. Anyhow, I'm not knocking anyone else's tastes or preferences, or at least I'm not intending to. These 2 series just aren't for me.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

The first 30 second throw back made me sit up, the rest was woeful. - will be seen as a new low for Marvel.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

:hi-five:
simonirons wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:59 pm The first 30 second throw back made me sit up, the rest was woeful. - will be seen as a new low for Marvel.
First 30 secs excellent. Last 30 secs also good.

The bit in between though...
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Critic reviews are in for Black Adam, and generally are pretty poor

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_adam
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Went through the first seven episodes of She-Hulk: Attorney at Law and I have to say I've quite enjoyed it so far. The ~35min runtime does it a lot of favours, I think. I realise it could all go tits-uo in the last two episodes which I'll be catching tomorrow but, as it stands, I would undoubtedly call it my favourite Disney+ MCU show.

EDIT I've now seen the series in its entirety and I thought that the show in general - and the polarising ending in particular - was really very good indeed. The films, for all their surface differences, feel very bloody samey lately; the TV shows, likewise, but even more so. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law has dared to be something else. Being "something else" does not automatically equate to being "something good" of course and I can see why it might leave many cold; that weird finale especially. But it worked for me. Best Disney+ MCU show for me without a shadow of a doubt.

Loved loved LOVED the The Incredible Hulk 1978 TV show intro to episode 9, too.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

A new Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever trailer is out - not hugely different to the last one

Really not impressed at all by what I've seen so far
kosherhammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by kosherhammer »

New Ant Man & the Wasp Quantumania trailer

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Trailer out for the GotG Xmas Special

Got to be honest, I think that looks unbelievably ****, but there's always hope it's better when it arrives
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

No enthusiasm at all for the Black Panther sequel. First movie was an almost entirely forgettable affair for me in which, iirc, Wakanda came across as an elitist, isolationist twat-hole tbh. I think I wanted the bad guy to win. But I can't really remember..

Not sure how to feel about Quantumania. Loved the first Ant-Man picture, couldn't stand the second. It feels as though Marvel are gearing this one up to be the lynchpin movie of Phase 4 (maybe I've got that wrong though) and I'm not sure if Ant-Man can carry that weight.

The GotG Xmas special looks like it might be fun. Xmas specials are always cheesy bags of **** but the Guardians can pull that vibe off, I think. Plus, neither Dave Bautista nor The Legendary Kevin Bacon can do much wrong as far as I'm concerned.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:29 am No enthusiasm at all for the Black Panther sequel. First movie was an almost entirely forgettable affair for me in which, iirc, Wakanda came across as an elitist, isolationist twat-hole tbh. I think I wanted the bad guy to win. But I can't really remember..
Unfortunately BP was hijacked by social media and you were 'racist' if you didn't think it was the best film ever. It was ok, but nothing more.

Looking forward to Ant-man and I hope it is more the first than the second. Saying that, even though I love a good Superhero film I think I am largely spent on them these days particularly MCU. They could have put it to bed after Endgame and (Spider-man aside) everything since is completely and totally forgettable.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

No way home grows on you, so does Dr Strange 2. Sam Raimi is a director I like a lot
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Black Panther won 3 Oscars... :eh:

It's a decent MCU film, nothing more.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:37 am No way home grows on you, so does Dr Strange 2. Sam Raimi is a director I like a lot
I enjoyed both immensely the first time around, but liked neither quite as much upon second viewing. Maybe that's just superhero films in general (or, more specifically, Disney MCU films).
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Dr Strange 1 & especially 2 have grown on me - I like 2 a lot. None of the MCU Spider-Man films have done much for me - I think Holland is great in the part, but I just can't get involved in them enough to dit down and watch them all the way through.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

smuts wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:36 am Black Panther won 3 Oscars... :eh:

It's a decent MCU film, nothing more.
Taken in the context of "just" being an MCU film, I agree (I was pretty disappointed in it, particularly the final fight and the CGI all the way through), but in the wider context of being a 99% black cast portraying a positive Afrocentric viewpoint in a blockbuster film, it was ground-breaking, and that's why it was up for Oscars where better films (MCU or otherwise) weren't.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

I wanted to like Homecoming - and, in many ways, I do; I love Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei and especially Michael Keaton in that film - but I hated how they attributed most of Spidey's abilities to his Stark-tech suit, and it always pulls me out of the movie.

Far From Home is one of the most forgettable movies in the MCU. Wasn't worth watching. Or making, for that matter.

No Way Home was a lot of fun, with both older Spideys being way more enjoyable than they had any right to be. Jamie Foxx's Electro was excellent too. Second time around, it struck me that most of the villains apart from Electro were limited in one way or another; and Willem Dafoe's Norman Osborn was really rather irritating.

All IMHO of course.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Initial critic comments on Wakanda Forever are wildly positive:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

That’s quite a collection of reviews. - we all know only the OTT praise “snippets” are allowed to make it out of exclusive previews. - if you say it sucks, you won’t be invited, again.