Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by mumbles87 »

WCpete wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:54 am
Why is avatar making an appearance?

That looks awful.

I mean beyond awful.
WCpete
Has liked: 1490 likes
Total likes: 3188 likes

Post by WCpete »

I’m so superheroed out at the moment that I signed up for the Criterion channel. I’m going on a classics binge dammit. That said, yes, I’ll still drink the marvel, DC, Amazon, Disney koolaid.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

WCpete wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:31 pm I’m so superheroed out at the moment that I signed up for the Criterion channel. I’m going on a classics binge dammit.
:newthumb: Nowt wrong with a classics binge from time to time. Went on a binge not so long ago where I was watching pretty much nothing but 70s movies. More recently I've been on a classic 40s/50s noir kick, which has since seeped out beyond noir into 30s gangster pictures and even a few silent-era movies from the 1920s (Napoleon, Nosferatu: Eine Symphonie des Grauens, Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, Metropolis).

Criterion are a good outfit, I've got a few of their blu-rays. Not many - they're not cheap and they rarely reduce their prices - but a few.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

last.caress wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 am :newthumb: Nowt wrong with a classics binge from time to time. Went on a binge not so long ago where I was watching pretty much nothing but 70s movies. More recently I've been on a classic 40s/50s noir kick, which has since seeped out beyond noir into 30s gangster pictures and even a few silent-era movies from the 1920s (Napoleon, Nosferatu: Eine Symphonie des Grauens, Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, Metropolis).

Criterion are a good outfit, I've got a few of their blu-rays. Not many - they're not cheap and they rarely reduce their prices - but a few.
They have a streaming channel. Also not cheap. There's so much on there that I haven't seen though that I reckon it will pay for itself. Looking at starting a run with Watership Down and Death Race 2000. Not masterpieces, but I haven't seen either in decades so I want to see if I still love them.

Just so I can stay on topic, it looks like my kids are most excited for phase 6 of Marvel. Don't know what they know. so I'll take their word for things.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Have we reached superhero saturation point when Sly is a supe?

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Looks like the best D&D film ever. Mimics! Owlbears! I'm in.

Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:14 am Looks like the best D&D film ever. Mimics! Owlbears! I'm in.

I mean I'm going to watch it, but I don't have high hopes for it the others were notoriously bad haha
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

Post by Shabu »

Never seen any of the Marvel films, not really that into any of the Superhero stuff other than the odd Batman one.

Been bingewatching The Boys & now on S3E6 & have really enjoyed it.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Took the little one to see DC’s Super Pets today. - was hoping for something decent considering the cast- we both left disappointed. - pretty forgettable 5/10
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Couple of bits from the upcoming She-Hulk show - some stuff seen in the trailers, a few news bits, plus some behind-the-scenes stuff

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1871 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I do wish someone would get that Bananaman movie made.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

"Irredeemable" Batgirl movie unexpectedly cancelled despite being in the final stages

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/a ... nal-stages
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

My general reaction to WB/DC "strategy" for their films is to wonder WTF they think they're doing, but this just takes it to a whole new level - they've written off $100m because they want to concentrate on more expensive films. What?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 1658 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:50 pm My general reaction to WB/DC "strategy" for their films is to wonder WTF they think they're doing, but this just takes it to a whole new level - they've written off $100m because they want to concentrate on more expensive films. What?
not that I really care a whole lot, and appear to be in a minority, but I'm not particularly arsed about most of these SuperHero films.

I'll reiterate they're not really my cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Capt. America films and The Avengers End Game (did I get that title correct) which I thought were all really good. Thor was maybe the first one ? okay. the others I gave up on. Dr. Strange, the character maybe it was End Game, left me feeling WTF ? maybe you have to be an enthusiast (and I don't mean that disparagingly) to enjoy most of them and the characters. The X Men was it ? again, okay if it was on the station I was watching but I can't remember switching over whatever I was watching at the time to make sure I didn't "miss" the film on another channel.

I've tried others, perhaps not the "right" others, like Wonder Woman, The Hulk, and that abomination that Sansa Stark was in. Iron Man I felt was pretty okay, on and off. the rest ? meh

I DID read that with the dumping of the above mentioned film, WB are able to take a tax write off so I guess it's not all bad.

I must be "missing" something because these films do a bomb with huge amounts of people going to see them.

now I DID really like The Terminator series run, and although not "Super Heroes" per se it did seem a "little" along those lines. and I'm not averse to the Sci Fi angle where I can suspend belief completely to watch a film.

must be me !!!!!!!

:crylol:
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First episode of She-Hulk: Attorney at law is out, and it's different to anything Marvel TV have done before, and it's a pretty decent start - I enjoyed it.

Critic reviews (who've seen the first 4 episodes) have been pretty good too.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1738 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:39 pm First episode of She-Hulk: Attorney at law is out, and it's different to anything Marvel TV have done before, and it's a pretty decent start - I enjoyed it.

Critic reviews (who've seen the first 4 episodes) have been pretty good too.
Any other thumbs up for she-hulk I expected to hate it but was wrong. The dynamic of epi 1 was great.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 1658 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't remember where I read it, can't find it now, but it seems that poor reviews about this series comes mostly from men.

I kid you not.

https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainm ... rwhelming/

'She-Hulk: Attorney at Law' Review: Marvel's Latest Is Smart but Underwhelming

Tatiana Maslany is a solid lead in a flimsy stab at comedy from Marvel.

Richard Trenholm

ipso facto !!!!!!!!

:crylol:

however, from the trailers I've seen, it definitely won't be on my "to be seen" list....

however, as previously mentioned not a big fan of this kind of thing........
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I watched it. I don't have an opinion either way, tbh. Probably because I had no interest in watching it but my kids asked me to watch with them, which means I was completely detached from it during viewing.
kosherhammer
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by kosherhammer »

Watched it and I liked it. There wasn't many laughs but that is not to say the jokes didn't land, it was there were not many jokes to laugh at, if you get what I mean.
The mid credit scene was funny.

The show was being review bombed even before it came out.

Critics have seen the first 4 epidsodes already and it's rated very well with more laughs and cameos on the way.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

She Hulk was okay, sure it will get the better now the origin stuff is out of the way.