Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by smuts »

Heard rumours that the post credit scene is one worth staying for...
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Not the most impartial list of reviewers, but I hope they're right and that it is what they say it is. I'd love to feel good about a MCU phase 4 project. Marvel's lost a lot of its sheen over the past 2 years. IMO, at any rate. I'd like to get back on board with them.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

WCpete wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:47 pm Not the most impartial list of reviewers, but I hope they're right and that it is what they say it is. I'd love to feel good about a MCU phase 4 project. Marvel's lost a lot of its sheen over the past 2 years. IMO, at any rate. I'd like to get back on board with them.
Phase 4 has been rubbish. All of it has felt like a filler while they get ready for the big guns in Phase 5. Spider-Man aside, I won’t remember any of the films or tv shows in a couple of years.

Fingers crossed Wakanda Forever is better, though it doesn’t have to do too much for that to be the case.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

smuts wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:54 pm Heard rumours that the post credit scene is one worth staying for...
My mate has been twice. He's hated justice league and such but he said this was brilliant

Maybe because he is disappointed with the latest marvels
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

I would agree that Phase 4 has felt like a bit of a let down after Endgame - it would be hard not to be an anti-climax after that, but while most of the productions have been flawed, to me they've still largely been decent watches:

Black Widow - OK film, terrible villain and 3rd act
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Wenwu was a great nuanced antagonist, but the ending with the Dweller in the Dark was a mess
Eternals - dull as dishwater, far far too long, abysmal ending
Spider-Man: No Way Home - still haven't watched this all the way through
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - really decent, gets better with re-viewing
Thor: Love and Thunder - really crap, gets worse the more I think about it.

As for the TV series:
WandaVision - mostly really great, though the EEEVIL soldier was a pretty weak adversary- started mysterious but too slow, got better as it went on
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - OK, again weak villain, poor ending and some really cringeworthy bits in the last episode
Loki season 1 - massive disappointment, plot was all over the place, very talky and slow; Richard E Grant was tremendous but the rest was really weak
What If...? - got better towards the end, but the first 6 or 7 episodes were dreadful
Hawkeye - pretty good all the way through
Moon Knight - Oscar Isaac was tremendous, plot wasn't
Ms. Marvel - charming in the 1st, 2nd and last episodes, all over the place in the rest
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law - needed to be much funnier, but very different to anything else, and I really liked most of it. Definitely sagged a bit in the middle.

They've obviously been trying different stuff to break out of the fiormula of the previous big superhero show-downs, and some of it has worked and some of it hasn't, but I think it's harsh to say it's all been rubbish.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:56 pm I wanted to like Homecoming - and, in many ways, I do; I love Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei and especially Michael Keaton in that film - but I hated how they attributed most of Spidey's abilities to his Stark-tech suit, and it always pulls me out of the movie.

Far From Home is one of the most forgettable movies in the MCU. Wasn't worth watching. Or making, for that matter.

No Way Home was a lot of fun, with both older Spideys being way more enjoyable than they had any right to be. Jamie Foxx's Electro was excellent too. Second time around, it struck me that most of the villains apart from Electro were limited in one way or another; and Willem Dafoe's Norman Osborn was really rather irritating.

All IMHO of course.
Nobody I hated more in the MCU than Tony stark towards the end

Nothing could be done without him and his tech solved everything

Mate you were a b side hero
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:18 pm My mate has been twice. He's hated justice league and such but he said this was brilliant

Maybe because he is disappointed with the latest marvels
I've skimmed through a copy of it, and was wildly unimpressed, but that's not really a fair way to watch it. Not sure I'll ever work up the enthusiasm to sit down and watch all the way through though.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:21 pm
Mate you were a b side hero
:crossed:

Hated him from the off, think Iron Man 2 & 3 are the only two Marvel films I haven't bothered watching.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:20 pm Soooo much this! Silver Surfer my favourite Marvel character and Galactus is an epic baddie.
You may be about to get your wish - rumour is that there's a one-off Silver Surfer show (similar format to Werewolf by Night) coming, some time before the F4 film.

Also appears to be confirmed that there's a Vision series coming, called Vision Quest - no clue on dates yet.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

has the 1978 star wars holiday vibe, minus Bea Arthur. Not sure that's a good thing.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Recently announced that Kevin Conroy has died. Voice of the Animated Batman in the 90s, Arkham games and other Batman features.

THE ultimate Batman for me, RIP.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Awful news.

RIP
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Enjoyed Black Panther. It’s no spoiler to say they handled Boseman’s passing with tact and class, it was all very well done.

Middle of the film loses its way and a bit too much going on in terms of plot that I didn’t think was needed and just a bit boring.

Overall, 7/10.
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Caught Black Panther in the week, it’s one of the better phase 4 films, about half hour too long. - same predictable stuff as always. - was quite impressed with Namor.

Had a night out last night and the mrs has kindly taken the kids out, so watching infinity war and endgame back to back. Thors arrival on wakanda, the battle on Titan, cap’s fight with Thanos using Mjölnir - Absolute peak Marvel, I wish I stopped there.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

simonirons wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:16 pm Caught Black Panther in the week, it’s one of the better phase 4 films, about half hour too long. - same predictable stuff as always. - was quite impressed with Namor.

edited for brevity

going to give Black Panther a look tonight maybe.

watched again last night Captain America - Civil War.

not a huge fan of these Sci-Fy super hero series but for some reason or another, Capt. America got me hooked with the first one. Winter Soldier I really enjoyed and Civil War also.

think I've watched them individually several times when I just want a couple of hours entertainment.

looking forward to Black Panther.

:newthumb:
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Made the mistake of watching Black Adam - what a sack of ****. The plot is feeble, the script is worse and some of he CGI (notably BA flying into the distance, on several occasions, and the first time the super-plane launches which looks like some shitty videogame footage) is awful, just for a change.

Did Pierce Brosnan have to take his helmet off in every single scene? Did they really retread John Conner (badly) with the plucky skateboarding hero kid? Did they really spend 7 years developing this crap? In all that time, did no-one read the screenplay and point out how hackneyed it was?

Not awful on the scale of Aquabro or, god help us, Justice League/Wonder Woman 84/Shazam/Sons of Martha but deeply awful. DC keep up their 0% success rate.
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:19 pm not a huge fan of these Sci-Fy super hero series but for some reason or another, Capt. America got me hooked with the first one. Winter Soldier I really enjoyed and Civil War also.
The two captain America ones are up there as my favorites along with endgame and infinity war. - All directed by the Russo brothers. - shame they stepped away from Marvel after infinity war
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 pm Made the mistake of watching Black Adam - what a sack of ****. The plot is feeble, the script is worse and some of he CGI (notably BA flying into the distance, on several occasions, and the first time the super-plane launches which looks like some shitty videogame footage) is awful, just for a change.

Did Pierce Brosnan have to take his helmet off in every single scene? Did they really retread John Conner (badly) with the plucky skateboarding hero kid? Did they really spend 7 years developing this crap? In all that time, did no-one read the screenplay and point out how hackneyed it was?

Not awful on the scale of Aquabro or, god help us, Justice League/Wonder Woman 84/Shazam/Sons of Martha but deeply awful. DC keep up their 0% success rate.
Do you enjoy anything ? Its mindless escapism from the reality of life for a few £ entry fee
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm Do you enjoy anything ? Its mindless escapism from the reality of life for a few £ entry fee
But for the hundreds of millions of dollars they're spending to churn these superhero movies out, they oughtn't be "mindless". Enjoyable escapism, yes indeed. But mindless? Not really. Couldn't just a few more of those hundreds of millions of dollars go toward an engaging, coherent script? If these studios spent as much in the writing room as they did on the CGI every one of these movies would be instant, all-time masterpieces. And they're not.

(for clarity: I'm speaking about superhero movies in a general sense. I haven't seen Black Adam yet but I can't imagine it'll be worse than the last Thor movie)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm Do you enjoy anything ? Its mindless escapism from the reality of life for a few £ entry fee
I've enjoyed most of the Marvel offerings, and pretty much none of the DC ones (honourable exception for Peacemaker). I don't accept that the films should only be judged on mindless escapism - if the script is crap and the CGI is crap it takes me right out of the film and I can't overlook that