Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

Early reviews of Thor4 are apparently pretty positive - I've been avoiding reading them for fear of spoilers before I see it on Friday
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:27 pm Early reviews of Thor4 are apparently pretty positive - I've been avoiding reading them for fear of spoilers before I see it on Friday
I’ve seen the complete opposite. I haven’t found a single positive review!

Still, roll on seeing it in IMAX on Friday…
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:54 am First episode of Ms Marvel is out, and it's OK, but usual Marvel slow first episode establishing the characters. Not sure how widespread the interest is going to be on this one - it's more like Lizzie Maguire with superpowers (which probably won't mean anything to you unless you had kids growing up around 15-20 years ago, come to think about it), so maybe more for teenagers/YA market than aging nerds
I've been watching this, but it's really not working for me. Admittedly, as an old white British dude, I'm about as far from the target demographic as it's possible to be, so a lot of the history and family stuff isn't really striking a chord as it might do for people from that culture, but basically it's just really dull, and predictable, and not much fun to watch.

Which is OK, I guess - as the Marvel empire expands in every direction, not every series is going to work for everyone, but this just feels like yet another Marvel TV series which has failed to land.

And, just to add... the CGI throughout this series has been abysmal, but really hits a new low in this episode
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Thor was ok. The director clearly has his influence across the film which I’m perfectly ok with but I never felt that it was a film that needed to be made, very much an addition too many. All in all, 6/10.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Enjoyed Thor - except for Crowe. Its fun and doesn't take itself seriously which makes a nice change from the multiverse stuff, which is honestly boring the crap out of me.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just got back from Thor - I didn't have great expectations going into it, and it largely lived down to them - overall, I agree that 6/10 is probably fair: there were parts when I was thinking "this is just dogshit" and other parts that were significantly better.

Ultimately, it's basically an 80s chick flick plus hammers, complete with a trulty awful 80s soundtrack consisting mostly of guns and ****ing roses, one of my all time least favourite bands.

Dunno whether the films are just getting a bit predictable, or whether they're suffering a bit in comparison to harder-edged material like The Boys, but I feel I'm experiencing more letdowns than pleasant surprises.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm Dunno whether the films are just getting a bit predictable, or whether they're suffering a bit in comparison to harder-edged material like The Boys, but I feel I'm experiencing more letdowns than pleasant surprises.
Majority of stuff since Endgame have been painfully average. Couple of gems (Spider-Man for example) and I also think most of the tv shows are rubbish.

I wonder whether that comes from opening up the multiverse as there doesn’t seem to be any high stakes no more. Someone dies and you know there’s always a way back. Bigger isn’t always better.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

FWIW, for anyone going - there are 2 credit scenes - 1 mid-credits which is worth waiting for, one right at the end of the interminable scrolling which (IMHO) isn't
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:15 pm Majority of stuff since Endgame have been painfully average. Couple of gems (Spider-Man for example) and I also think most of the tv shows are rubbish.

I wonder whether that comes from opening up the multiverse as there doesn’t seem to be any high stakes no more. Someone dies and you know there’s always a way back. Bigger isn’t always better.
This massively. I don't care anymore (relatively) and losing two of the major actors has made left a massive hole. Endgame was the absolute peak and the Spiderman film aside (Dr Strange was ok -actually seen it three times and i've progressively realised how poor it is) it has been rather poor all round. I don't care about heros I've never heard of to be honest.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I think the whole thing about the absence of risk is pretty fundamental - both from the alternate versions from the multiverse and from the nature of films where the bad guy is always wrapped up by the end; going in, you know there's no real risk to the main character - Infinity War upended that to some extent, though everyone expected to have all the characters back in Endgame; but for all the others, there's not really anything at stake.

That's one area where the serial nature of comic books really has an advantage - there's always a tendency to revert to the status quo, but at least there can be interim serious threats, which aren't really happening in the films, or really in the TV series where they do have more room to breathe. I guess Loki was an exception to that, where it wasn't all neatly tied up in his favour at the end, but that series was so patchy, and often downright bad, that that element gets eclipsed by the quality problems.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:08 am I’ve seen the complete opposite. I haven’t found a single positive review!
Reviews on IMDB have gone a lot more negative now - initially, professional reviewers were pretty positive, but most of the user reviews have been pretty muted.

The top review at the moment is this one, which pretty much captures everything for me:
Thor: Love and Thunder does attempt to explore themes of love and loss whilst introducing the Mighty Thor and putting Thor on a journey of self discovery. However, it sadly doesn't work as well as it should due to a rushed pace and way too many jokes that are almost never funny.

Chris Hemsworth is still going strong as Thor but the extreme goofiness is getting a little stale. Natalie Portman has never been better as this character and Tessa Thompson is still great as Valkyrie, even though she doesn't really get much to do.

Taika Waititi massively overstays his welcome as Korg this time, who becomes very annoying really fast. Christian Bale is one of the better MCU villains with a good motivation and an unsettling presence but is let down by limited screen time.
Definitely agree about the jokes - most of them fall completely flat, and they've leant really heavily into Doofus Thor, which gets really tiresome. To be honest, most of the first half of the film is pretty flat though it picks up a bit when it gets into the second hour.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm Just got back from Thor - I didn't have great expectations going into it, and it largely lived down to them - overall, I agree that 6/10 is probably fair: there were parts when I was thinking "this is just dogshit" and other parts that were significantly better.

Ultimately, it's basically an 80s chick flick plus hammers, complete with a trulty awful 80s soundtrack consisting mostly of guns and ****ing roses, one of my all time least favourite bands.

Dunno whether the films are just getting a bit predictable, or whether they're suffering a bit in comparison to harder-edged material like The Boys, but I feel I'm experiencing more letdowns than pleasant surprises.
its all personal though isnt it.. GNR are one of my fav bands so I loved the music

id rate the film 7/10, bale was brilliant baddie .. lady thor was cringe in moments but done ok. too much awkward silence due to being the ex

I feel marvel have been painting by numbers for a while. they know what will make a solid movie to get people in the door and thats all that matters

there are only about 5 really stand out marvel movies the rest whilst good just hit the notes
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

I want them to make an x-rated Howard the Duck
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Went to. See Thor last night. Not the greatest Marvel effort, but not awful. A solid 7 out of 10. 2 hours of fun. I don’t want to be challenged, made to feel emotional, think etc. I just want to go out and have fun. That’s what superhero films are all about surely?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

I find it a bit perplexing that there have been four Thor movies - more within the MCU than for any other individual superhero - and, as yet, there's still no Beta Ray Bill.

simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Not sure I fancy seeing Thor at the cinema, especially as it’ll be on Disney plus in 6 weeks

Have to agree with everyone else, spider-man aside, everything else Marvel has put out since the fantastic end game has been bang average.

Wandavision was ok, but the one I was expecting the least from turned out the to be the best yet in Hawkeye.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

From ‘Black Widow’ To ‘Thor Love And Thunder,’ Why Does The MCU Phase 4 Feel So Aimless?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... o-aimless/
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Natalie Portman on the weights & protein shakes is a very good thing.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Have We Gone From Marvel Fatigue To Marvel Exhaustion?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/j ... exhaustion
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:26 am Have We Gone From Marvel Fatigue To Marvel Exhaustion?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/j ... exhaustion
Good article that and pretty much sums it up. They should (along with Star Wars) have a break but they won't they'll milk the cow dry in the short term. Then start again, reboot and remake.