Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by mumbles87 »

simonirons wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:18 am Dr Strange.

Not sure I liked it, pretty middle of the road Marvel Film TBH, The trailers and youtube theories usually end up way more exciting than the movies.
How most marvel films go for me these days

love some of them, most of them are paint by numbers, they are good entertainment but only about 5 are stand out fantastic

then you just need a well thought out batman film from DC and it blows them away.

I mean ill go see them, I enjoy Thor as a character, I will miss captain rodgers .. not so fussed about iron man.. infact im glad i dont have to watch him anymore
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Spoilers

"walker" Doctor Strange sucked.
Wanda was great. - She now dead?
Krasinski's Reed Richards was exactly as mocked up
Please, no more Captain Britain. - Shocking acting.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

It’s the first mcu movie, apart from endgame and infinity wars both to a lesser extent, where it was important to have seen a bunch of marvel’s tv shows and films in order to empathize with any of the characters and care about the plot beyond the whizz bangs. It played out like an extended Disney plus streaming show to me. Or like an extended trailer. Olson and Gomez were both very good in their roles. Enjoyed their portrayals.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Caught Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness this evening.

Fast-paced, not much lag, plenty of Raimi-isms - twisting cameras, crash-zooms, the undead, Bruce Campbell, the Oldsmobile - on the whole, a fun picture. There are a couple of overly-goofy scenes (the Illuminati sequence which should've been fanboy nirvana was kind-of naff, and wtf were those musical notes about??); I'm not convinced either by the all-too-sudden introduction to America Chavez or by how much I'm likely to give a toss about her going forward; and Wanda's motivations seemed a bit... well, daft. But, so what? Welcome to superhero movies. Franchise-best performances from Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Wong and Elizabeth Olsen alongside rejuvenated work from director Sam Raimi meant the two hours+ flew by anyway.

It'll need another look or two but, as things stand, I think that was one of the good'uns.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Did you watch Wandavision, LC?
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

I did Peter, yes. Quite enjoyed the early sitcom-style episodes with their vaguely Lynchian sense of off-kilter dread, but became less interested as the mystery unraveled and turned into just another MCU stew. I'd surely have been somewhat nonplussed at the status quo for Wanda Maximoff in Doctor Strange had I not seen WandaVision.

And tbh this has been my main gripe with the MCU since Marvel announced Phase 4: The potential reliance on the streaming-exclusive shows to tell the continuing story, which has really come to the fore in this instance. The MCU was enhanced by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and by the (former) Netflix shows, but never dependent upon them. Now, those who don't/can't subscribe to Disney+ are going to miss significant, vital portions of the narrative . And I think that's a shame.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Went to see Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness with my 14 year old son, who has watched Wandavision and he joined up some dots for me as I’ve not seen the Series yet.
Having said that, I was impressed overall with the new Dr Strange movie, as was my son. It looks great and the two Benedicts are both really good, Cumberbatch especially.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 am The MCU was enhanced by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and by the (former) Netflix shows, but never dependent upon them. Now, those who don't/can't subscribe to Disney+ are going to miss significant, vital portions of the narrative . And I think that's a shame.
Are they though? The story of Wanda is explored in far more depth in Wandavision, but there's enough exposition in the MoM film to get over the key points - Darkhold, imaginary children, what she's trying to do. I thought the film actually managed that really well without getting bogged down in the backstory.

Ultimately, I think it's a difference of perception - without wanting to put words into your mouth, I think what you're saying is that the interlinked nature of the series etc as an encumbrance and is putting constraints on the viewers ability to see an individual film. Conversely, for me, I see it largely as an advantage, in that it stops the films having to provide clumping great lumps of exposition to explain characters, then can give a few light outlines and get on with the main plot while leaving the deeper exploration of the peripheral characters to the series - this is effectively what they were doing film to film before, now they have a much broader canvas to go deeper into the characters. Having said that, I'm going to watch pretty much all the series anyway, so it doesn't feel like I'm being compelled to do anything I didn't want to in the first place.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:32 pm Are they though? The story of Wanda is explored in far more depth in Wandavision, but there's enough exposition in the MoM film to get over the key points - Darkhold, imaginary children, what she's trying to do. I thought the film actually managed that really well without getting bogged down in the backstory.
I dunno. Without having seen WandaVision and the degree to which Wanda had bonded with her kids, the motivations for her actions in Multiverse of Madness are imho not just "daft" as I opined earlier but truly ****ing demented.

I think what we'll need here Kludge are the thoughts of someone who's seen Multiverse of Madness but not WandaVision, and see if they could make good sense of it using only the exposition provided in the movie. :newthumb:
Kludgehammer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:32 pm without wanting to put words into your mouth, I think what you're saying is that the interlinked nature of the series etc as an encumbrance and is putting constraints on the viewers ability to see an individual film.
Wouldn't be the worst thing that's ever been put in my mouth sir (and, ominously, that's not the first time I've uttered that sentence :) ). But yes, that's the gist of what I'm driving at.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

After reading a few discussions about the character Wanda and her MCU arc, I think I'm coming down on the side of her character and story line being mishandled in this movie. Olsen is great in the role, and the character, as written expressly for this movie, is well defined as a baddie. The problem is that none of Wanda's previous story lines particularly jibe with this one. If you only ever saw the previous films, last you know of her is that she helps defeat Thanos and co. and that she's a rookie Avenger goodie. If you additionally watched WV, you learn about how she deals with mental illness brought on from all the loss she's suffered in her life. And the 'Vision' part of WV is as important as the 'Wanda' part. That character story line does not perfectly lead to the one that continues in the movie, even if you consider the after scene in the final episode of WV (and even that doesn't perfectly jibe with her motivation in the film). The dark hold just seems to be too convenient a plot device for the fairly extreme change in her. And that even the notion of Vision, who btw is still wandering about alive and well but hugely confused, doesn't play any part in the movie is just weird.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

last.caress wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 am I did Peter, yes. Quite enjoyed the early sitcom-style episodes with their vaguely Lynchian sense of off-kilter dread, but became less interested as the mystery unraveled and turned into just another MCU stew. I'd surely have been somewhat nonplussed at the status quo for Wanda Maximoff in Doctor Strange had I not seen WandaVision.

And tbh this has been my main gripe with the MCU since Marvel announced Phase 4: The potential reliance on the streaming-exclusive shows to tell the continuing story, which has really come to the fore in this instance. The MCU was enhanced by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and by the (former) Netflix shows, but never dependent upon them. Now, those who don't/can't subscribe to Disney+ are going to miss significant, vital portions of the narrative . And I think that's a shame.
That’s putting me off to the point where I don’t think I’ll bother with Dr Strange (unless I’m scratching around for something to watch one night). I’ve tried everyone of the MCU’s streaming shows and haven’t been able to get into a single one. Loki, Wandavison’ Moon Knight etc….they all seem like they’re trying too hard to be clever to me.

Not mad on Benedict Cumonherback anyway.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

I imagine you city folk have this all the time but I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Strange 2 as some of it was filmed on a social acquaintance's family farm and I'm excited to see it on the big screen to try and spot the extras I know. We don't get on screen much out here in the boonies, we especially don't get to be part of the MCU.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Just watched Bloodshot on C4, it was ok despite some poor reviews.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Just started the 2nd season of The Leftovers.

I strongly, strongly advise.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Back from Dr Strange 2 Bruce Campbell makes a welcome appearance. Didn't see the end as the kids got tired.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Saw Dr strange today

Loved it
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Long trailer out for series 3 of The Boys

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

The shark is being jumped.

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Looked better than I expected, to be honest. Shulkie looks a bit cartoony, but that's not surprising with TV-level effects rather than movie-level. could go either way, but I'm cautiously optimistic, albeit against a fairly low bar, given that most of the Marvel TV series have had some pretty major flaws to them.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Now that does look pony.