Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by hammers92 »

last.caress wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:41 pm Might just be the first misstep from DC since Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016).
Bold claim mate. It’s rare to find a good DC film these days.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Ha, I mostly say these things just to tweak Kludgehammer's onions a little bit (which he well knows, which is why he never bites :) ). That said, I honestly think they're (mostly) okay.

IMHO:

DCEU/DCU
Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) - Good
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) - The extended cut on the Blu-ray was excellent
Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) - Crap
Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) - Okay. Not as good as reviews suggested
Justice League (Snyder Whedon, 2017) - Crap (fair enough; there has been another crap DC picture since Suicide Squad. But I really don't count this one anymore)
Aquaman (Wan, 2018) - Fun romp
Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) - Okay
Birds of Prey (Yan, 2020) - Wildly underrated
Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) - Okay. Nowhere near as bad as reviews suggested
Zack Snyder's Justice League (Snyder, 2021) - Fantastic
The Suicide Squad (Gunn, 2021) - Fantastic
Peacemaker (2022) - Fantastic
Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) - Way better than reviews suggested
Shazam! Fury of the Gods (Sandberg, 2023) - Not seen it yet. No enthusiasm for it at all

DC MOVIES CURRENTLY OUTSIDE THE OLD DCEU/NEW DCU
Joker (Phillips, 2019) - Very good. Not as good as The King of Comedy or Taxi Driver, but very good nonetheless. I was all ready and prepared to dislike it intensely. I was wrong
The Batman (Reeves, 2022) - Outstanding

Throw in the Nolan trilogy (in order: Very good, brilliant, crap), the Watchmen stuff (film brilliant, TV show bloody good), the criminally cancelled Swamp Thing (really good), and I think DC's output over the last decade or so has been a little unfairly maligned. I'm more intrigued by their direction than by Marvel's right now.

(I've never seen any of those Arrowverse shows, or any of those Batman-adjacent shows like Gotham or Pennyworth or Batwoman. Are they Arrowverse shows as well? I've no idea)
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

DC's animated stuff is better than Marvel's (IMO). Batman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond etc. were legitimate masterpieces.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:55 am Batman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond etc. were legitimate masterpieces.
Never seen either, although I've vaguely fancied a stab at both. I've seen most of the DC animated movies they've churned out over the last fifteen years or so, however. Some of those (Batman: Year One, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) are outstanding; some (Batman Ninja, Batman and Harley Quinn) are ****ing dreadful. Many of course sit in that meaty "meh" section in the middle but they're always worth at least a look, imho.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

I’ve got the animated series from the 90s on DVD, one of my most prized possessions.

I remember meeting Kevin Conroy too, proper fanboy moment!
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

last.caress wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:13 am Never seen either, although I've vaguely fancied a stab at both. I've seen most of the DC animated movies they've churned out over the last fifteen years or so, however. Some of those (Batman: Year One, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) are outstanding; some (Batman Ninja, Batman and Harley Quinn) are ****ing dreadful. Many of course sit in that meaty "meh" section in the middle but they're always worth at least a look, imho.
I’m surprised you’ve not seen Batman The Animated Series. Was a big deal in the 90s, and a key point in Warner’s development history. They’re really smart, unpatronising detective/action stories, with a lovely deco art style, well worth a watch. Batman Beyond is a more “50s future sci fi” setting, but no less sophisticated than the earlier series. Magnificent voice cast in both.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The Gray Ghost will always be a favourite episode, Adam West brilliantly cast as Batman’s crime fighting inspiration. Mark Hamill IS the Joker.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:49 am Ha, I mostly say these things just to tweak Kludgehammer's onions a little bit (which he well knows, which is why he never bites :) ). That said, I honestly think they're (mostly) okay.
You'll never take me alive, copper!

Yeah, I don't rate any of the DC films, even the supposedly good ones like Dark Knight (which was the one that nearly made it, but then shot itself in the foot with the last hour). I haven't been wildly enthused with many of the recent Marvel ones either, apart from Dr Strange 2.

So as not to miss an opportiunity to argue the toss, I've adjusted your reviews below :)
IMHO:

DCEU/DCU
Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) - Meh - not as bad as made out to be, though the plot makes no sense at all
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) - Absolutely terrible
Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) - Crap
Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) - Really bad, especially the third act. Not as good as reviews suggested
Justice League (Snyder Whedon, 2017) - Crap
Aquaman (Wan, 2018) - Unbelievably awful
Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) - War crime
Birds of Prey (Yan, 2020) - Not seen
Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) - Unbelievably awful. Nowhere near as good as terrible reviews suggested
Zack Snyder's Justice League (Snyder, 2021) - Tedious drivel
The Suicide Squad (Gunn, 2021) - Poor
Peacemaker (2022) - Dunno about Fantastic, but really good - easily the best thing to come out of DCEU
Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) - Way worse than bad reviews suggested
Shazam! Fury of the Gods (Sandberg, 2023) - Not seen it yet. No enthusiasm for it at all

DC MOVIES CURRENTLY OUTSIDE THE OLD DCEU/NEW DCU
Joker (Phillips, 2019) - Not seen
The Batman (Reeves, 2022) - Tedious collection of cliches and plot holes

Throw in the Nolan trilogy (in order: Boring, So nearly good but snatched crapness from the jaws of victory, didn't bother to watch but the plot sounds laughably bad), the Watchmen stuff (liked the film a lot more than the reviews gave credit for, TV show - not seen), Swamp Thing (not seen), and I think DC's output over the last decade or so has been unfairly overrated.

FWIW, I think both DC & Marvel need to show they have some idea WTF they are going to do next - DC's planned slate is not wildly promising, Marvel's somewhat more so but they need to deliver good filsm, which neither have done reliably.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:12 pm even the supposedly good ones like Dark Knight (which was the one that nearly made it, but then shot itself in the foot with the last hour).
Mods I want a 10 year ban for this comment, nothing less.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Don’t get this post-modern Nolan-trilogy critique. Relative to the genre, those movies are the equivalent of The Godfather.

It’s like when people say they don’t like Daniel Craig Bond.

Or Phil Collins….. :|
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Phil Collins is ****ing abysmal. He's the musical Grim Reaper. Where chords go to die. People with no interest in music whatsoever - and who therefore can never be entirely trusted, and who may not even be human - often end up conceding, "Well, I don't mind UB40, I s'pose. Or Phil Collins." :)

And although I wouldn't say I dislike Daniel Craig's James Bond, I would say he's my least favourite incarnation of the character (that's not the same as saying his films are the worst, to be clear).

I'm with you all the way though on the Nolan Batman trilogy/Godfather trilogy comparison. A good film, a great film and a **** film (although, for me, the order goes Good-Great-**** for the Batman trilogy and Great-Good-**** for the The Godfather trilogy :newthumb: )
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:15 pm
And although I wouldn't say I dislike Daniel Craig's James Bond, I would say he's my least favourite incarnation of the character (that's not the same as saying his films are the worst, to be clear).
personally but purely (I'm sure) because I grew up with him and after reading all of the books up to that time, Sean Connery would be my favourite Bond.

although, I do think that Craig and the films by far outweigh all of the other films put together. I think the way that they put the action, locations and the rest of the supporting cast, make them the very best. not sure (iirc) that Quantum of Solace was one of the better efforts but collectively.....

:newthumb:

imvho that is.......
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

New trailer out for Secret Invasion

Feeling pretty pumped for this one, which makes a nice change after several projects which were either meh or just plain terrible
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

... and back down to earth with a bang: we have the first trailer for Blue Beetle - which based on the trailer, DC/WB are pitching it as sort of Shazam meets Iron Man hybrid (ie idiots with high tech)

That all looks unbelievably & depressinglyt ****, IMHO. Flashy but totally unconvincing graphics, and the whole tone and script just sounds like some crappy 80s TV movie.

I would genuinely love DC/WB to produce a film I looked forward to and wanted to see, but every time it's just the same half-witted crap. Oh well, maybe this one will be the film that's actually better than the crap trailer - but I'm not holding my breath.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

No, that one's not doing it for me at all. Cookie-cutter movie off of the Shazam template, as you say. No insight, no innovation, no inspiration, nothing new to say. Tbh, I've never been enthused for this one (it feels like there's been a Blue Beetle movie in the offing since the dawn of man) but that trailer's done nowt to pique my interest. What was that music? Besides "****ing dreadful", that is.

At least it's part of the DCEU dead rubber. I'm still hopeful the revamped DCU will provide something more interesting.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Finally watched Wakanda Forever, and it was both better and worse than I expected.

Plus points - looked fabulous, and most of the CGI worked really well for me - certainly much better than it looked in the trailer. Namor was generally done pretty well. Fight stuff was pretty good, certainly better than the ending of BP1, though that's not saying much. I did think the underwater stuff was really effective - just absolute worlds better than the cartoonish stuff from Aquabro.

Minus points - a lot of the story was pretty clunky - for example, like BP1, there's no reason at all for Martin Freeman to be in the film; some of the acting from the Shuri and Nakia characters was really badly overacted, and there's quite a lot of overwrought melodrama in the film, even beyond the funeral scene where it was pretty much unavoidable. It's also pretty slow and boring in the middle section - could easily have lost 10 or 15 minutes without hurting the film too much. Also the way the new BP instantly becomes acrobatic and great fighter under the effect of the herb and suit is just stupid and illogical.

Not really the film's fault, but the whole concept of Wakanda doesn't work for me - the whole mix of feudalism, pseudo primitive society and the wealth and science just doesn't make any sense.
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:09 am At least it's part of the DCEU dead rubber. I'm still hopeful the revamped DCU will provide something more interesting.
It's not though - this is supposedly in the new new DC(E)U - the Gunniverse
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Oh! Well... Feckarse, anyway. :D

In any event, given that it's been in development for something like five years (feels a lot longer too tbh) and was well in production as the 14th movie in the DCEU (with the upcoming Flash movie being the 13th and the Aquaman sequel serving as the 15th and final movie in that continuity) before Gunn even took the job of rebooting/revamping the DC universe, I remain hopeful that Blue Beetle is not representative of what's to come, but more of a remnant of what's been churned out at the last gasps of the DCEU.

And, who knows? It might yet be bloody amazing. Black Adam was. :)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just stop with Black Adam, you're embarrassing yourself.

Meanwhile, back in the sane world, another new trailer is out, this time for Spider-Man Across the SpiderVerse

last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:23 pm Finally watched Wakanda Forever
I've literally forgotten everything that happened in that movie, and I only saw it two months ago. I remember the Sub-Mariner was in it but I can't remember why.