Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

Updated list of upcoming superhero films due to land over the next 4 years (updated to 21-Feb-2018)

• Feb 16 - Black Panther Marvel
  • Mar 2 - was untitled Fox/Marvel - slot now vacated
  • Mar 8 - Jessica Jones 2 Marvel/Netflix
  • Mar 23 - was Flash (Warner/DC) - slot now vacated
  • Apr 13 - was New Mutants (Fox) - slot now vacated
  • Apr 26 - Avengers: Infinity War (Marvel)
  • Jun 1 - was Deadpool 2 (Fox) - now coming in 2019
  • Jun 29 - another untitled Fox/Marvel moved from Jul 13 and now vacated
  • Jul 6 - Ant Man & the Wasp(Marvel)
  • Jul 27 - Teen Titans animation (Warner/DC) - was going to be Aquaman, which is now pushed back to December
  • Oct 5 - unknown DC/Warner - slot vacated
  • Oct 5 - Venom Sony
  • Nov 2 - date vacated (Marvel) Was Inhumans then Captain Marvel, now nothing
  • Nov 2 - was X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Fox), now delayed until Feb 2019
  • Dec 4 - Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (animated)(Sony)
  • Dec 21 - Aquaman DC/Warner
  • Jan 11 - Hellboy
  • Feb 8 - Silver and Black Sony - Sony Spider-Man universe
  • Feb 14 - X-Men: Dark Phoenix (new date) (Fox)
  • Feb 22 - was New Mutants Fox - bumped from Apr 2017 now pushed back to August
  • Mar 8 - Captain Marvel Marvel
  • Apr 5 - Shazam (New line Cinema which is a Warner brand, no idea why it's not under the main brand
  • May 3 - Avengers 4 (formerly Infinity War part 2) (Marvel)
  • Jun 7 - Gambit Fox
  • Jul 5 - Spider-man: Homecoming 2 Sony/Marvel
  • Jun 14 - was supposed to be JLA part 2 - slot now vacated
  • Jul 19 - Indiana Jones 5 (Disney)
  • Aug 2 - New Mutants (new date) (Fox)
  • Nov 1 - Wonder Woman 2 (DC/Warner)
  • Nov 26 - unknown Fox/Marvel film, in theory, but if Disney merger done by then, who knows
  • tbc - probably Dec - Star Wars 9
  • Feb 14 - unknown DC film DC/Warner
  • Mar 13 - unknown Fox/Marvel film, in theory, but if Disney merger done by then, who knows
  • Apr 3 - Cyborg (Warner/DC) - though I'll be astounded if this is still on the list by then
  • May 1 - tbc Marvel
  • Jun 5 - unknown DC
  • Jun 20 - supposedly another Fox/Marvel
  • Jul 24 - was unspecified DC film - maybe Green Lantern Corps DC/Warner
  • Aug 7 - unknown Marvel
  • Oct 2 - supposedly another Fox/Marvel
  • Nov 6th - tbc Marvel
  • Dec 25 - Unspecified DC "event" film - now vacatedWarner/DC
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 am, edited 61 times in total.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Superhero films for the next 6 years

Post by warp »

i love superheroes comics, but it's becoming tiring.

flat characters and too many common elements, you go to see a film that's just come out and it already feels familiar. which i suppose is why they have all this success and they'll milk it until they can.
which seems "indefinitely", with all these bloody "reboots".

from that list, only dr. strange and aquaman are interesting for me, they have the potential to be somewhat different.

venom/carnage spin off(s) could be the nuts, but i'm sure they'll manage to make it dull.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I'm up for pretty much all the Marvel films - to be convinced over Ant Man and Inhumans, but solidly there for the others, also the X-Men & Wolverine, and I'll probably watch the F4 reboot with a sense of mounting horror, as everything I've read about that film sounds like it will be a train-wreck to eclipse not just the 2 poor originals but also fiascos like Daredevil / Electra / Ghost Rider.

Can't work up any interest for Spider-Man or the spin-offs, and all the DC films leave me completely cold.

Probably ought to mention for completeness that Marvel also have 5 or 6 TV series on the go with Netflix as well: Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and then all together as The Defenders. And of course there's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter as well, in case we get bored. DC/Warner have Gotham, Arrow, Flash and maybe one or two more on TV.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Getting reasonably tedious now, but hopefully due to the shear amount of these films coming out, in the interest of creativity and attempting to differentiate ones self from the others, a producer might actually take a punt on a halfway interesting director and try something a little different.

Worked with Nolan and Batman.

Worked with Snyder and Watchmen.

Maybe now is the time when someone will give Aronofsky or Steve McQueen a franchise and the creative power to take it in any direction they want to. Imagine Darren Aronofsky directing a series of Neil Gaiman's Sandman pictures or a Rorschach spinoff?

Fairytale dreams I fear.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

fjthegrey wrote:Getting reasonably tedious now, but hopefully due to the shear amount of these films coming out, in the interest of creativity and attempting to differentiate ones self from the others, a producer might actually take a punt on a halfway interesting director and try something a little different.
it makes sense and it would be nice, but why bother when the "same old" keeps getting you so much money anyway?
people like things they already know and are familiar with.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Kludgehammer wrote:Too much? Too few?! What of that lot appeals?
I feel one or two of these will struggle.

The Avengers follow up and Batman v Superman will be huge.

Some of the "new" films will need strong stories and reviews to survive. Antman, Aquaman, Dr Strange, Black Panther and Wonderwoman could all struggle.

We could still see the Green Lanten reboot, cyborg and shazam binned. Marvel are too far ahead of DC at present.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

The problem with most of these films is that they script the action sequences first, then write the stories later. Dunno why they can't just pick one of the golden era stories that made the characters popular in the first place, and turn them into a movie.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Pretty depressing that I'll be in my forties looking on web sites for teaser trailers.

Saying that, I think too many are too alike, Spider-Man was pony, Thor was awful, it's only captain America that's really done it for me since avengers
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Speaking of teasers...

Age of Ultron

Infinity War

That 2nd one isn't likely to remain on line for long
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Claretdave wrote:I feel one or two of these will struggle.

The Avengers follow up and Batman v Superman will be huge.

Some of the "new" films will need strong stories and reviews to survive. Antman, Aquaman, Dr Strange, Black Panther and Wonderwoman could all struggle.

We could still see the Green Lanten reboot, cyborg and shazam binned. Marvel are too far ahead of DC at present.
I think most of the DC films will be a hard sell unless Batman / Superman is huge - they're also trying to get JLA across before they've introduced most of the characters, opposite to the way Marvel did it. FF reboot is coming out just after Avengers 2, which will be a juggernaut - I don't expect it to fare well in comparison. If the FF franchise survives that, then FF2 is up against Thor 3 - I would expect that to either be moved or scrapped completely.

I don't get where Sony are going with the Sinister 6 film, unless it's going to be Spider-Man v Sinister 6

I agree with you on Green Lantern - that's going to need hellaciously good momentum from the JLA films to overcome the crap-heap of the first one - and Cyborg; can't see a huge market for Aquaman or Shazam either.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I will watch all of this no doubt but like many say its getting bit much

im glad Nolan called it a day on batman as a trilogy. Perfect amount of time between movies
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

Despite the large number of superhero films there is still no sign of the only one I want to see. The Silver Surfer.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Hawaiian hammer wrote:Despite the large number of superhero films there is still no sign of the only one I want to see. The Silver Surfer.

Bingo! We have a winner :thup:
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I think the Surfer is pretty toxic after the godawful 2nd F4 movie, though as Fox think they can relaunch F4 after those debacles anything is possible.
warp

Post by warp »

yeah, silver surfer über alles! always been my favourite superhero and his only big screen appearance has been disappointing.

a lobo movie could be great too, a space-cyberpunk flick with the last czarnian kicking arses, with a different plot from the standard "stop the bad guy, save the world".
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1637 likes

Post by last.caress »

No Strontium Dog? No Nemesis the Warlock? No A.B.C. Warriors? Pfft.

As to those mentioned: I dunno, once upon a time I would've had a clear idea as to which superhero films I was looking forward (Dr. Strange, the F4 reboot), which ones I was eyeing with some concern (the Superman/Batman mashup) and about which ones I couldn't give a stuff (Thor 3, Aquaman). But the Captain America movies, which I was SURE would be rubbish, were excellent; Ghost Rider and The Green Lantern, to both of which I was really looking forward, deeply disappointed; The Avengers is nowhere near as good as people seem to think it is, and it seems to get worse each time I see it; same goes for The Dark Knight Rises, a movie I really liked when I first saw it. But Iron Man 2 is, IMO, better than its reputation suggests, and Watchmen is f*cking superb. And only this week, I bought Man of Steel, a movie for which I had no love at all on its release. The huge critical success of Guardians of the Galaxy (full disclosure: still haven't seen it) puts paid to the idea that a little-known protagonist will sink the movie, and both Thor (Kenneth Branagh, 2011) and Hulk (Ang Lee, 2003) knackered the theory that an accomplished and interesting director will put an accomplished and interesting spin on these sorts of film.

All of which leaves me none the wiser as to which will make it and which won't, which deserve our attention and which don't. What I DO think though is that they're churning them out too quickly, and risking killing the Golden Goose. But after the success of Marvel's "Phase 1" leading up to The Avengers, this was always going to happen I suppose. I'll still end up seeing them all. Will I go to the cinema to see them all, though? F*ck, no.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

mumbles87 wrote:I will watch all of this no doubt but like many say its getting bit much

im glad Nolan called it a day on batman as a trilogy. Perfect amount of time between movies

Now he can concentrate on scoring a few more for us as an impact sub

As a side note, haven't seen the Super Sakho movie schedule yet.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

No new Green Lantern till 2020.

Gutted...there is so much they could have done with the first film that I hope they do with the reboot.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Reboots are for lazy directors/producers who have no original thought!
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Hopefully all of them will be better than the Dark Knight Rises.

Watched Captain America 2 the other week, very good.