Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:10 am I watched Batman last night and like kludge also thought it was pretty poor.

The final act in its entirety could be cut from the film and I think it'd be improved.
I feel the same way about The Dark Knight - lose the last hour and it would be a much better film.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Yeah The Dark Knight falls to bits sadly once the hospital is blown up with the Joker's crappy ferry bomb plan and the low key Two Face stuff.

Up till then it's brilliant.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 pm Is it better than Nolan/Bale’s Batman? Serious question, I haven’t seen it yet.

If it isn’t, what’s the point?
Seen it and the answer to my own question is a big fat nope.

Emo Batman is boring, long-winded, charmless, cliched and totally pointless. Should never have been conceived let alone made.

A worse Batman than Bale (or even Keaton), a worse Gordon than Oldman (old whispering Felix Leiter was especially rubbish), a worse Alfred than Caine etc etc etc. Does nothing that Nolan didn’t do ten times better but will no doubt make a fortune for the studio.

I suffered about two hours of it then turned it off.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I saw it a second time a few nights ago, now that it's streaming. I'll tell you what, it is significantly less good the second time round. That's a huge tell tale for me. It approached being very dull second time around. That wasn't the case The Dark Knight.

I read that something like 4 to 6 stand alone streaming series, a la Marvel, are to be released stemming from The Batman. Catwoman, Arkham Asylum, Chief Gordon, Penguin and maybe a couple others. That seems a huge stretch imo.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Re: The Batman.

I think a lot of people forget that Batman is the world’s greatest detective and no other Batman film has done that so well.

I think Robat Battinbat was a great Batman but bad Bruce Wayne. It’ll be interesting to see what he does with the next two films, I think he signed on for three in total.

I liked it, but was a little too long.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Moon Knight is actually not that bad. I'm enjoying it. Plenty of violence for a Marvel series
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:00 pm I think a lot of people forget that Batman is the world’s greatest detective and no other Batman film has done that so well.
But he doesn't solve anything.

He spends virtually the entire film following around the Riddlers wake of destruction.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Dr Strange "Experience" trailer - focused on Wanda with some little bits of new footage

Dr Strange featurette, with Feige and Raimi and (very small) cast interviews - teeny bits of new footage

Dr Strage "Time" trailer - not much different, bit more Patrick Stewart and explcit mention of The Illuminati

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

More from the "WTF are Sony doing?" file:

El Muerto: Bad Bunny to play Marvel’s first Latino hero in his own live-action movie

No idea who Bad Bunny is, and El Muerto is so Z-llist it makes their previously announced Silver Sable film look like something with stellar brand recognition
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:53 pm "WTF are Sony doing?"
first Latino character to lead a Marvel live-action film.
Looks pretty obvious to me.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

Marvel - uses established characters to build a gigantic Universe upon which it builds using lesser-known, more modern characters.

Sony - Attempts to build a Spiderman universe using Jared Leto and characters that have featured in two comics.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:13 pm Looks pretty obvious to me.
Yeah, I get the idea of the market segmentation that they're going for, but surely they could have picked a better character? Actually, to answer my question, it looks like pretty thin pickings - there's this lot to theoretically choose from though they probably don't have rights to 90% of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... vel_Comics

Of all that lot, I would have thought that Arana/Spider Girl would be the stand-out choice - hardly a major character, though leagues ahead of El Wotsit, but also loosely connected to the spider theme of their films, and they could make a spider film without having to cede control to Marvel. Alright, they'll then f*** it up, but still.

El Nobody is hardly going to have the same cultural impact as Black Panther, especially with Sony clusterfucking the film up.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Excellent news for fans of well-written films with credible plots and non-cliched dialogue - The Batman 2 has been given the go-ahead. I bet it will be even better than the original
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:28 am Excellent news for fans of well-written films with credible plots and non-cliched dialogue - The Batman 2 has been given the go-ahead. I bet it will be even better than the original
That's fantastic news (if largely expected)! Although it'll have a job bettering the first one, because that first one was very good Indeed. :newthumb: :newthumb:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

last.caress wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:07 am That's fantastic news (if largely expected)! Although it'll have a job bettering the first one, because that first one was very good Indeed. :newthumb: :newthumb:
Will part 2 be as successful? The Batman appears to be quite divisive following the initial anticipation.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I liked The Batman a lot. There may have been some negative opinions but I think the majority are favourable.

Looking forward to more
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I had a look the IMDB reviews for it - most of the early ones are heavily positive, most of the receent ones are pretty negative. I think that probably equates to people more heavily invested in it seeing it early and going apeshit over it, and then more of the recennt ones aren't particularly fans they just want to see a film, and their reaction is "WTF is this? why did everyone like it?"
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

On another tack - Moon Knight 5 - the origin story of both MK and the multiple-personalities. Leaving a hell of a lot to wrap up in the last episode.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

FWIW - and at the risk of sounding like a complete geeky dickehead - I’ve got about 4,000 Marvel and DC comics pugged away at my mum’s, including complete runs of Batman and Detective Comics from just prior to Frank Miller’s DKR (mid 80s) through to the late 90s so I’m familiar with the character(s). Not that that makes my opinion more or less valid than anyone elses but just to say that I do understand the whole detective angle and nonetheless really disliked the film. :)
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I only saw The Batman last week and thought it was really good. It was far from perfect but still the best Batman film since The Dark Knight.

Affleck was wasted in the abysmal Snyder films.