Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

I'm 55 minutes into The Batman, and my overriding reaction is "this is utter b*llocks".

The dialogue is just appalling - it's the most hackneyed crap imaginable, particularly the Lieutenant (I assume that's Gordon) - everything he says is a cliche. The plot is just one stupid contrivance after another - the DA babbles his secrets to some girl in a secret club the first time they meet - nah. The "fighting" - Riddler's hammer attacks are completely unbelievable, the Batman's fighting is completely unbelievable - neither of them look like they are even familiar with the concepts of moving.

It all looks pretty, in yet another black cat in a coalmine at midnight way, but I'm really struggling to see what everyone else is raving about. Above all - it's boring
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

I finally and at long last got around to resubscribing to Disney+ and watching The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, which I found to be largely a slog through which to sit. I quite enjoyed Wyatt Russell's character but that was about it, really. I guess I was grateful that it was only six episodes. If it had been a dozen or more like some of those (ex)-Netflix MCU shows I would've bailed for sure. Onto Loki next with almost no enthusiasm at all.

Give me some true quality superhero storytelling like Zack Snyder's Justice League or The Batman all day long over these bloated, instantly-forgettable extended Disney adverts. :)
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

I'm going to try and watch The Batman this week...but I watched the deleted Arkham inmate scene.

Yeah, they can throw that in the bin and rethink that character next time round.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Moon Knight 4.

Well... that was different!
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Got to the 2 hour mark in Batman and I give up .. this is just utter crap. Every line of dialogue is a recycled cliche, the plot is a retread of a hundred cop films... "you don't understand... he don't work for us... he's Mr Big, he owns this city..." - sure never heard that before. Batman chases Penguin in a car for no reason at all - he can pick him up anywhere, or you know, just tackle him where he's already right next to him; "Just give me 2 minutes alone with him Chief / duh, OK then, everybody out" - hey he's escaped, never saw that coming; the ominous voice-over; Riddler's godawful over-acting; Catwoman's girlfriend just happens to call her as she's being killed so a recording of key incriminating evidence can be sent? Oh, fuuuuck offf!

Granted, it looks pretty, in a typical Batman washed out, everything is black and grey manner, but the plot and dialogue are just absolute garbage. I'm actually angry that I've wasted 2 hours watching this, when I could have baled out so much earlier, or followed my original reaction to the trailers and just not wasted my time on this in the first place. :swear: :swear: :swear:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Did you like it then,or not?
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:26 pm Got to the 2 hour mark in Batman and I give up .
Opinions and all that, watched it for a second time last night (first on the big screen). Loved it again, the darkness, the grit, the soundtrack, the 'low-tech' Batman etc. As I said before I'm not a fan of 'emo-Bruce' but it fits the theme of the film.

We are all different I suppose.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

It is a very marmite film. I think I am the only person I know who is undecided. Whilst I appreciate the art of the film, I did find it a bit demanding on the viewer. Something you have to slog and work for to get the reward. I think I will leave it at least a year to watch again.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Arnold Layne wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:15 pm Did you like it then,or not?
I have a loathe/hate reaction to it
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Moon Knight 4. A little light weight disney horror made it more fun.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:36 pm Watched the second Moon Knight - it's starting to reveal layers, but it still feels a bit slow.
Found all the Disney series the same, slow burning starts with increasing interest as the series goes on
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I watched Batman last night and like kludge also thought it was pretty poor.

The script is tragic. The voice over in particular is a real shocker, reminded me of Blade Runner before the directors cut. It looks nice and captured the noir visuals it was going for pretty well but apart from that it didn't do much for me.

The Riddler was totally wasted. Just seemed like a complete rehash of the Ledger Joker. Does pretty much the same things, killing random members of the Gotham elite, leaving little torture videos etc. I thought the Riddler was meant to be this super arrogant genius who wanted to mess with people and prove how much smarter he is than everyone. All his actions seemed diffuse, first he's cleaning up the city then he's destroying it. Didn't really make much sense.

The final act in its entirety could be cut from the film and I think it'd be improved. Genuinely don't know what any of that was about. More Jokerlite stuff really, with all the disillusioned Riddler minions ready to carry out his random acts of mayhem.

Also, does Batman actually get anything done? When you take a step back and look at how he influences the film, apart from save a few civilians from the firing squad at the end, he doesn't really affect any of the plot positively. He's a vehicle for us to watch the story pretty much. Everyone the Riddler attempts to kill gets killed except Bruce. He doesn't stop or change anything.

The scene in Arkham Hospital when the Riddler and Batman are talking through the plate glass (another complete rehash of the Joker/Batman scene from the Dark Knight btw) would have been vastly improved if the Riddler just admitted he'd totally owned Batman through the entire film. So much more in character for what he should be. Had Batman running around on purpose getting all his targets out in the open for him, using him.

The less said about that Joker scene the better as well.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:41 pm Not superheroes (apart from maybe their superheroic levels of substance consumption) but certainly comics (or comix, to be pedantic) related, coming soon to a screen/internet near you - The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers:

Finally managed to find a source for this. Watched the first 2 episodes, and... it's absolute dogshit.

Woody Harrelson and John Goodman must have been high as kites when they agreed to voice this.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Enjoyed The Batman. It does have some serious flaws and is easily 20 minutes too long but it's miles better than the likes of The Dark Knight Rises and the Snyderverse crap even though Affleck was a great Batman.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Is it better than Nolan/Bale’s Batman? Serious question, I haven’t seen it yet.

If it isn’t, what’s the point?
smuts

Post by smuts »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 pm Is it better than Nolan/Bale’s Batman? Serious question, I haven’t seen it yet.

If it isn’t, what’s the point?
Different kinds of films to be honest. It's miles better though than The Dark Knight Rises which is bat pants.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Moon Knight - E04. - pony.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I thought The Batman was excellent, proper noir/detective movie. The young lady playing cat woman was well cast.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

That would have been a much better (and much shorter) film