Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

Bizarre trailer from D23, for Marvel's Werewolf by Night

That's obviously intentionally campy, but just looks like absolute crap IMHO - hopefully the actual thing is a lot better
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Other stuff from D23:

- Captain America 4's villain is going to be the Leader, from all the way back to the Incredible Hulk movie
- Thunderbolts partial line-up announced - Florence Pugh Black Widow, Bucky, Taskmaster, Red guardian (both from Black Widow moview), Ghost (from Ant Man and the Wasp), John Walker/USAgent (from Falcon & Winter Soldier)

Other stuff which has been supposedly gleaned from trade press, but not officially announced.

- Scarlet Witch movie
- Nova movie
- Hercules movie
- 2nd series of Moon Knight
- Valkyrie series or film
- Young Avengers series or film
- America Chavez (from Dr Strange 2), probably series
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First trailer out for Secret Invasion, which seems to be being set up as a Nick Fury spy vehicle rather than the superhero-fest of the comics

Looks pretty decent from that, but proof in the pudding etc
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:19 am But all superhero movies are inherently cliché-laden and full to bursting with plot contrivances, aren't they? To differing degrees, sure, but to significant enough degrees in every instance that to complain about a paucity of believability in some of them sounds a little arbitrary.
Yeah, I just don't accept that. Sure, you have to have a degree of suspension of disbelief, in order to accept comic-book science and super-powers, but there has to be internal consistency and you don't have to accept crap plots; and when the plot is crap I thinks it's valid to object and point it out as a failing, whether it's ludicrous coincidences like someone phoning their girlfriend with a recording which just happens to contain vital evidence (the Batman) or doing a car chase for no reason whatsoever, when the guy is just standing right next to you or who you already know where to get them and could pick them up at any time at all (The Batman) or physics which doesn't work like characters who can't fly changing course in mid air (Wonder Woman, Justic League), or general crap structure & pacing of the piece (Wonder Woman, JL, Thor Love & Thunder, most Marvel Disney TV series).

Yes, it's an inherently less serious genre, but that's still no reason to accept sub-standard works and not call them out for their crapness.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:15 pm Bizarre trailer from D23, for Marvel's Werewolf by Night

That's obviously intentionally campy, but just looks like absolute crap IMHO - hopefully the actual thing is a lot better
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1669 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not wishing to take sides, and not exactly super hero related, but I agree about suspending belief and objecting to crappy plots etc.

I mean, The Walking Dead, we have to suspend belief that people can come back alive.

but there have been some ridiculous leaps of faith.

I won't go into specifics but anyone who has watched it will realise what I mean.

there has been some fantastic story lines and plots which if we agree our belief has been suspended to begin with, it does follow that suspension but keeps up within the parameters of what we DO believe.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly but there's been times when I'm like, nah, nah, that doesn't follow. even believing that dead people can come alive. it still doesn't FIT within those guidelines. no way it falls into place.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Caught the new Thor on Sunday and was surprised to find I didn’t completely hate it. It’s no Ragnarok but I’ve seen a lot worse and it benefits simply by not being part of the ludicrous and incomprehensible multi-verse tosh (at least I don’t think it was anyway!). Elsie’s review last page chimes about right although I did find myself laughing more than I should at Russell Crowe’s borderline casualy racist Stavros turn…. Image
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:15 pm Bizarre trailer from D23, for Marvel's Werewolf by Night

Looks ****ing brilliant! Proper Universal Pictures Monster Mash-style shenanigans. Shame it's only going to be an hour-long special (I think). I'd be more than happy with a proper movie-length piece like that. And I love Harriet Sansom Harris (talent agent Bebe Glazer in Frasier).
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Just caught episode 4 of She-Hulk..

Absolutely no idea who their target audience is..I liked it
Last edited by simonirons on Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

last.caress wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:26 am Looks ****ing brilliant! Proper Universal Pictures Monster Mash-style shenanigans. Shame it's only going to be an hour-long special (I think). I'd be more than happy with a proper movie-length piece like that. And I love Harriet Sansom Harris (talent agent Bebe Glazer in Frasier).
Have to say I'm in complete agreement...looks absolutely fantastic.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I didn't notice it at the time, as I stared at it slack-jawed with a "WTF?!" expression on my face, but that Werewolf By Night trailer also showcases Elsa and Ulysses Bloodstone (famed monster-hunters of the Marvel Universe, though Ulyssses has 'issues' of his own) and the Man-Thing ("whosoever knows fears burns at the touch of...")
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Latest She-Hulk was much better, imho. No punching and hitting, but a reasonably satisfying episode of countroom dramady, with a little gift at the end (but no mid-credit scene)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Promo for She-Hulk episode 6 - looks like this one is rather more action-heavy that the last couple of episodes, and also is the first appearance of Daredevil

simonirons

Post by simonirons »

T4’s Jameela jamil’s done alright for herself getting a marvel gig. / thought it was going to be just the one scene.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

She-Hulk 6 (of 9) out, and aother OK episode, but still no Daredevil
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:40 am Promo for She-Hulk episode 6 - looks like this one is rather more action-heavy that the last couple of episodes, and also is the first appearance of Daredevil

This was the worst promo for episode 6.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

I've come to think that maybe the critics of She-Hulk have got the show wrong. It isn't written by man hating women, necessarily. I think the writers might be just self loathing women.
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Just caught episode 6. - feel conned. - what was that promo all about?
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

WCpete wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:55 pm I've come to think that maybe the critics of She-Hulk have got the show wrong. It isn't written by man hating women, necessarily. I think the writers might be just self loathing women.
Where on earth are you getting that from? And the bit about man-hating women is pretty dubious as well
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

I had just finished watching the episode. It was mostly meant to be tongue in cheek, and tbh I was going to delete it before submitting. Generally I try to minimize posting negative comments about subjective topics like entertainment. But I said f*** it, because I think this show is so bad that it probably deserves the same thoughtless contempt that its producers are showing its audience. Before a single episode had launched critics unfairly bombarded it with silly agenda driven charges that it was going to be another anti male anti cis gender vehicle for feminist propaganda. If anything, in trying to make fun of old well worn female character stereotypes through insanely bad comedy writing, they have actually doubled down on the stereotypes they're trying to lampoon. So, no it isn't really a show written by self loathing women. It is, however, an embarrassing production from Marvel and Disney. They owe their audience much better.And yes, I should stop watching. I do it because my daughter has asked me to watch with her. Tbh, I don't know why she wants to continue. Week by week she has become more and more disappointed with the show.