Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:09 am My bad. A pay wall.
There is no need for trade barriers. And we can arrange new trade deals else where.
This article was about how Germany was a manufacturing power house. Now it is struggling with imports and exports.
You are diverting away from the point. But:
1) There is a need for trade barriers. Every country has them.
2) If there is no need, why did we just sign up to them and why did you support doing so?

Germany is a manufacturing powerhouse. It is not doing well at present. That does not mean that Brexit has not had a negative economic impact and that the reasons for that are not obvious.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Brexit will have a impact. It was meant to. Otherwise there would be no point. Most leavers never expected it to be green all the way. No economy ever is.
The point I am obviously failing to make, is how can the OBR manage to successfully pin point the exact impact of Brexit whilst economies around the world are down. No one is importing or exporting as they once where. Inflation is not increasing on EU products alone.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

They have explained how they did it in their report.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Small thing to keep an eye on from yesterday in Stormont...

A paper was put before the NI Assembly asking for consent to continue with the Protocol checks at the NI ports. Seems this is a legal requirement and requires cross-community consent as defined by MLA's designations in the assembly, and so no funds for wages, infrastructure and admin to conduct them can be released without it.

So far so mundane...

As every single unionist MLA is strangely opposed to the 'Union-Breaking' Protocol the chances of it getting consent was zero. Knowing this, SF vetoed allowing the paper on to the agenda and so it's not happened.

So far so NI politics, one says white the other says black repeat to infinity...

However the legal position now appears to be that the checks cannot continue and will eventually stop.

So far so what...

As the NIP was a part of the WA then it certainly turns up the heat on Truss' February deadline to fix the protocol problems and depending on how the EU react to this, and they have been a bit huffy recently it could bring down the whole WA.

Stay tuned....
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

Well this is stupid.
I'm 55 this year and wouldn't l know where to start

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Time to dust off those sun dial's people. No need for things like atomic clocks when you have such concise measurements.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

After spending £55B with their friends, they’ll conclude that everything is fine right now.
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

Can we have the old money back as well please ?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

Never stopped using them. The metric system can f**k right off.
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

alf git wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:56 pm Never stopped using them. The metric system can f**k right off.
quarter of humbugs Alf?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I use both systems in fairness as I work in manufacturing, I still use imperial mostly for DIY, told my son to get some 4x2's to repair his fence posts, he said what? I said around 100mm x 50mm by 6ft, oh ok, why didn't you sat that the first time - the 6' comment was irony on my part...

I did get round there though and he had 3 Jewish men in his room, so not all his upbringing has been lost.. :D
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

Big George wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 pm quarter of humbugs Alf?
You can keep your 113g of bon bons :winker:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 pm I use both systems in fairness as I work in manufacturing, I still use imperial mostly for DIY, told my son to get some 4x2's to repair his fence posts, he said what? I said around 100mm x 50mm by 6ft, oh ok, why didn't you sat that the first time - the 6' comment was irony on my part...

I did get round there though and he had 3 Jewish men in his room, so not all his upbringing has been lost.. :D
I find it so much quicker using and planning in feet and inches for jobs that require new parts to be made.
There are still many everyday manufacturing and machinery items that still use imperial measurements as its basis. For example the vast majority of drive chains in use tend to be in imperial pitch.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Interesting that The Rest Of The World has kept our imperial dimensions and translated them into odd metrics

delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 pm I use both systems in fairness as I work in manufacturing, I still use imperial mostly for DIY, told my son to get some 4x2's to repair his fence posts, he said what? I said around 100mm x 50mm by 6ft, oh ok, why didn't you sat that the first time - the 6' comment was irony on my part...

We all do in one way or another. We buy our fuel in litres and then measure distance in miles, as a nation we're pretty much measurement fluid and fashionably non binary in that respect.......
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 439 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

This is how we measured things in Canada.

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1976 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

The technological future is nanoscale. Imperial measurements are far too unwieldy, even the yanks use SI in nano applications.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

So. About this claim that the EU guaranteed peace in Europe ... anybody care to elaborate on how that's working out right now?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2014 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:20 pm So. About this claim that the EU guaranteed peace in Europe ... anybody care to elaborate on how that's working out right now?
Are Ukraine and Russia in Europe?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:20 pm So. About this claim that the EU guaranteed peace in Europe ... anybody care to elaborate on how that's working out right now?
A non EU member invading another non EU member but you crack on and use it to try to boost perception of a failing experiment :newthumb:

Dead classy that.