Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Rays Rock »

I’m acutely aware that you want a heated discussion on this. And I’m not willing to get into that. We have pages and pages of discussion and difference of opinion on this thread. My reasoning goes very much deeper than just on this point and so does many others position. This can be found on many occasions further back. I’m tired of arguing over differences of opinion or explaining my own position and reasoning all of which I’ve done several times. This isn’t in any way a tricky or awkward, I’m done with justifying my vote over differences of opinion.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

We’re now in agreement so there is nothing more to debate so I’m out too. You’ve admitted that the agreement was a sham, signed up to in bad faith purely in order to move things along. Without pointing us in the direction of any previous posts of yours, you’ve said you always thought it would have to be looked at again but can’t explain how the EU can be bought to the table and led to believe that unlike the last time, this time the deal will be respected and entered into with commitment and honour by the UK.

Yep, if I held your position I wouldn’t want to debate it any further either.

Enlightening though and I suspect if he had any honesty about him at all, Johnson would admit to similar thought processes when he wanted May’s job and during the 2019 election. He’s a getting-through-today kind of man and worrying about the consequences later. No wonder we are where we are today.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm That depends on how greatly or deeply you believed change was desperately needed to revitalise and reshape vital parts of our infrastructure, Industry etc…as I did.
It would also mean you would have had to have confidence that following the economic damage we would be capable of said reshaping.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Thought there'd be more unicorns on this list. Seems to be all about using patients as guinea pigs, making buildings less safe and letting people maim each other on electric bikes.

I assume blue passports just missed the cut off at 10.

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Number 7 is a kicker for many I know, first ir35 and now even if you wanted to be paye on agency books your gonna get screwed.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

All this debacle is going to be well worth it when I buy my Turbo 1500 watt vacuum cleaner...

That's if I'm not electrocuted in the meantime at work by watering down PAT testing etc.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

smuts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:33 pm All this debacle is going to be well worth it when I buy my Turbo 1500 watt vacuum cleaner...

That's if I'm not electrocuted in the meantime at work by watering down PAT testing etc.
I wouldn't recommend the use of water on electrical appliances, even if it's just for annual testing purposes.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:42 am It would also mean you would have had to have confidence that following the economic damage we would be capable of said reshaping.
I do
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:39 am We’re now in agreement so there is nothing more to debate so I’m out too. You’ve admitted that the agreement was a sham, signed up to in bad faith purely in order to move things along. Without pointing us in the direction of any previous posts of yours, you’ve said you always thought it would have to be looked at again but can’t explain how the EU can be bought to the table and led to believe that unlike the last time, this time the deal will be respected and entered into with commitment and honour by the UK.

Yep, if I held your position I wouldn’t want to debate it any further either.
You seem to be under the impression that I wanted an agreement with the EU in the first place ?
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:31 pm Thought there'd be more unicorns on this list. Seems to be all about using patients as guinea pigs, making buildings less safe and letting people maim each other on electric bikes.

I assume blue passports just missed the cut off at 10.

They're areas they are looking into to see if changes can be made, not much point of going through all this just to leave everything the same..........
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just been to Amsterdam for four days, cost me, the wife and boy £2 a day each to use our Sky Mobile data while there!

I wanna change my vote, I vote ‘remain’ :lol:
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

It's quite the thing to see Brexit's biggest cheer-leaders starting to see the reality of it all ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... r-Duhs-ont

... they're also running a 'poll' on whether we should rejoin the single market to help with the cost of living crisis. Yes, I can guess what the result will be but still, interesting that that particular paper would even consider running that 'poll' let alone go ahead and do it. Last year's Express would to be happy with its current self. :)

A you gov poll the other day said that whilst 39% of us thought it had been the right decision to leave the EU, only 30% of us thought that Brexit had gone well/ fairly well up to now. So it looks like even amongst the decreasing amount of people who think it was a cracking idea, by no means all of them think it's been great up to now. And I know it's not as simple as this but I'm going to simplify it anyway but as leave got 52% if we're down to 39% thinking it was the right decision then as many as a quarter of those voters either a) are undecided whether it the right decision or b) think it was the wrong decision.

The Express have reported on that poll too ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ket-latest
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

delbert wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:03 am They're areas they are looking into to see if changes can be made, not much point of going through all this just to leave everything the same..........
6 years and these are the best things they can come up with to try to excite people? Hardly sunlit uplands and taps spouting liquid gold is it.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Joking aside, I voted leave, if there was a referendum tomorrow I would vote remain/rejoin!

Monkeybubbles told me the other day that admitting I was wrong made me a better man. I admit it on Brexit. I feel I was sold a pup. The issues that made me vote leave are pretty much still going on but now there are more negative effects of leaving, admittedly some implemented by the EU out of spite but some that were totally avoidable.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:47 pm 6 years and these are the best things they can come up with to try to excite people? Hardly sunlit uplands and taps spouting liquid gold is it.
That's because, like your unicorns, taps spouting liquid gold would be impossible and sunlit uplands are weather reliant, but blue passports and some of the other stuff on that list are do able.
Why would they be trying to excite anyone?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Macca1973 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:04 pm Joking aside, I voted leave, if there was a referendum tomorrow I would vote remain/rejoin!

Monkeybubbles told me the other day that admitting I was wrong made me a better man. I admit it on Brexit. I feel I was sold a pup. The issues that made me vote leave are pretty much still going on but now there are more negative effects of leaving, admittedly some implemented by the EU out of spite but some that were totally avoidable.
The truth is Macca, that what most people vote for was an opportunity. Unfortunately, those in power only see opportunities to make themselves richer, not to make the people they represent better off.

In or out, they’d have still bent us over.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Rays Rock wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:14 am You seem to be under the impression that I wanted an agreement with the EU in the first place ?

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Macca1973 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:04 pm Joking aside, I voted leave, if there was a referendum tomorrow I would vote remain/rejoin!

That's honest stuff Macca - respect as I believe the kids still say. :thup:

TTS had it right later on. I'd just add that at the time both sides had nothing positive to say about themselves that weren't lies / exaggerated so it was a choice between two crap campaigns. When presented with that choice it was nothing more than a hobson's choice really.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Jesus ****ing christ, mate, don't ever listen to me.

But that's a good shout.

Like TTS says, though, if we'd stayed in the chancers would still have found an excuse to roll themselves in butter.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Was talking to a lad who works at the Ardvasar Hotel yesterday - he told me that the Hospitality industry here in Scotland has been hit badly due to Brexit with staff very difficult to come by - I'm guessing it's the same throughout the UK especially London .

Caterer.com says there's been a net loss of at least 92,800 EU workers nationally .

https://www.hospitalityandcateringnews. ... 0consumers.