Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

StokeIrons
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by StokeIrons »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:48 pm I had both UK and Irish passports which expired. To renew the UK one needed the application and several supporting documents wintessed in triplicate by at least two members of the College of Heralds and an MP or an archbishop, on parchment or vellum only. Or so it seemed.

The Irish one needed a new photo and the money. guess which one I now have.
Can you repeat the question? :crylol:
StokeIrons
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

sendô wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm Oven ready deal wasn't it? Countries lining up to strike trade deals with UK plc. I can't believe our politicians would simply lie to us like that.

Easy as pie

Here's a good parlour game for Christmas Day:

Find a truthful Boris Johnson statement
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:13 pm I'm quite interested in the passport thing. My Father-in-Law is Irish, and as such we're trying to get my wife and the kids sorted with Irish passports so they have the same rights to travel and work etc. I'm obviously a smelly lefty, so I'm not going to look at it objectively, but is it just understood that an Irish passport is better these days, or are there other benefits to a UK passport post-brexit that I'm not aware of?

Genuinly not stirring and looking for an answer as it's a question I've had with a couple of people now.
Know of several family cases where say the husband has an Irish passport, wife UK one.
The Irish passport holder has sailed straight through the EU gate and hung around waiting patiently for the spouse at the back of 200 passengers going through 'all other passports ' line.

Officials have questioned why the loitering. On explaining the officials have located the other half and ushered them through ahead of the rest. Moral is get an EU passport wherever possible and it can even benefit family members who cant get one,
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:48 pm I had both UK and Irish passports which expired. To renew the UK one needed the application and several supporting documents wintessed in triplicate by at least two members of the College of Heralds and an MP or an archbishop, on parchment or vellum only. Or so it seemed.

The Irish one needed a new photo and the money. guess which one I now have.
Plus its cheaper...
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Essexmaniac wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:05 am Know of several family cases where say the husband has an Irish passport, wife UK one.
The Irish passport holder has sailed straight through the EU gate and hung around waiting patiently for the spouse at the back of 200 passengers going through 'all other passports ' line.

Officials have questioned why the loitering. On explaining the officials have located the other half and ushered them through ahead of the rest. Moral is get an EU passport wherever possible and it can even benefit family members who cant get one,
I've been in that exact situation as my boss has a Spanish passport and she goes through much quicker than me these days. It's definitely helped me then get pushed through quicker.

I suppose I was wondering what the pros were from a passport pov, as so many people I know are getting EU passports if they have the capability.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am I've been in that exact situation as my boss has a Spanish passport and she goes through much quicker than me these days. It's definitely helped me then get pushed through quicker.

I suppose I was wondering what the pros were from a passport pov, as so many people I know are getting EU passports if they have the capability.
Why would you not?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am I suppose I was wondering what the pros were from a passport pov, as so many people I know are getting EU passports if they have the capability.
I've been trying to get my Spanish one purely as a childish middle finger to those that wanted my British one to be less useful than it was 7 years ago.

Seems I've exhausted any avenues I had to get one sadly.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 am Why would you not?
That's the exact question I'm asking. Given that we voted out, 'What are the benefits of a UK one?'.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

It's blue, Stoney. What else do you want?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1083 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:58 pm That's the exact question I'm asking. Given that we voted out, 'What are the benefits of a UK one?'.
I suppose in theory the UK one would give the reverse of the advantages the EU one gives passing through their immigration, fast tracking while EU citizens queue to get in. In reality we seem to be being quite rightly open to EU citizens and their passports. Plus we always honour Irish ones so the UK one at this point has no advantage in that regard.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:14 pm I suppose in theory the UK one would give the reverse of the advantages the EU one gives passing through their immigration, fast tracking while EU citizens queue to get in. In reality we seem to be being quite rightly open to EU citizens and their passports. Plus we always honour Irish ones so the UK one at this point has no advantage in that regard.
It's almost like we want them to visit us more than they want us to visit them.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:20 pm It's almost like we want them to visit us more than they want us to visit them.
That's a good thing right?
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:14 pm
I suppose in theory the UK one would give the reverse of the advantages the EU one gives passing through their immigration, fast tracking while EU citizens queue to get in. In reality we seem to be being quite rightly open to EU citizens and their passports. Plus we always honour Irish ones so the UK one at this point has no advantage in that regard.
I think I foolishly assumed that at some point in the future, our government would come up with a system whereby most EU airports have an 'EU and UK passports' queue. So that in some really small way it's seen as less of a failure, but I suppose why would EU contries want to offer us that?

I think I was always quite proud of the strength of a UK passport and the options it provided British people, and it's a little sad that we have sacrificed that I think. My question was really just to examine if there were some pro's to that part of things.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:53 pm That's a good thing right?
Or simply a function of relative sizes, with us having a fraction of the population of the EU.
delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 am I think I foolishly assumed that at some point in the future, our government would come up with a system whereby most EU airports have an 'EU and UK passports' queue. So that in some really small way it's seen as less of a failure, but I suppose why would EU contries want to offer us that?

I think I was always quite proud of the strength of a UK passport and the options it provided British people, and it's a little sad that we have sacrificed that I think. My question was really just to examine if there were some pro's to that part of things.
Surely it can't be down to our government to implement that. Also, Spain has done that, albeit at selected airports:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/wo ... t-24340343
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:36 am Or simply a function of relative sizes, with us having a fraction of the population of the EU.
Or we are being more open and welcoming to our European friends.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:52 am Or we are being more open and welcoming to our European friends.
Probably.

They used to be more welcoming. Then something changed. It's almost like actions have consequences.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 am I think I foolishly assumed that at some point in the future, our government would come up with a system whereby most EU airports have an 'EU and UK passports' queue. So that in some really small way it's seen as less of a failure, but I suppose why would EU contries want to offer us that?

It's really not our place to do that. I think if it's offered we would do it, reciprocal for how we handle EU passports. At the end of the day that's the EUs call.

Right now Irish passport will get you the best of all worlds in Europe and the UK.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:54 am Probably.

They used to be more welcoming. Then something changed. It's almost like actions have consequences.
Well we can only control our friendliness.