Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by bubbles1966 »

Be interesting to see how many are coming in under the newly formed Graduate Visa Scheme which requires a degree/PHD to get a two or three year work permit, and how many are strawberry pickers, waiters and sandwich makers.

The numbers suggest somewhere between 200,000-250,000 from Afghanistan, Hong Kong and Ukraine.

EU migration is down. 13,000 EU people refused entry at the border - five times higher than 2019.

35,000 irregular arrivals (i.e boat people).
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

YGNB wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:45 pm EDIT I may give them number 5 - it is the season of goodwill after all
Casually ignoring the crackdown on the right to protest of course.
bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:37 pm Given that half a million have arrived, where does the argument "that no one will want to come" sit now :crylol:

And the supposed labour shortage caused by leaving the EU :crylol:
Ah yes, Schrödinger's immigration - simultaneously good and bad depending on what you need to suit your ideology.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:55 pm Ah yes, Schrödinger's immigration - simultaneously good and bad depending on what you need to suit your ideology.
Unless you believe all migration is bad or all migration is good - ideologies, I'd suggest - then it's just a discussion about where lines are drawn.

Even the 'all migration is good' group have people they want banned from entering this country. Suggest to them that Trump or Le Pen should live over here.

The mature conversation has always been about volumes, reasons for acceptance, successful integration and assimilation and so on. Unfortunately, some people are unable work with that or engage with it.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:55 pm Casually ignoring the crackdown on the right to protest of course.
It came in in April we have had just stop oil, the insulation people, marches for pay, picket lines, rallies, people still shouting over the reporters outside parliament, Scottish independence rallies etc etc.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:55 pm Casually ignoring the crackdown on the right to protest of course.

Ah yes, Schrödinger's immigration - simultaneously good and bad depending on what you need to suit your ideology.
Speaking of which, the link between immigration and gdp. According to this bloke not as straightforward as some would have you believe:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpoli ... confusion/
sendô

Post by sendô »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:12 pm The mature conversation has always been about volumes
One of the big ticket things for Brexit was reducing that volume, but since Brexit it has remained steady and has now gone up.

So once again, what was the point of Brexit in this regard?
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:16 pm It came in in April we have had just stop oil,
Where journalists were arrested for merely filming the protests.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:09 pm One of the big ticket things for Brexit was reducing that volume, but since Brexit it has remained steady and has now gone up.

So once again, what was the point of Brexit in this regard?
The point was to apply greater discretion about who came in.

Higher earning, higher skilled, independently wealthy.

People who will pay tax, rather than receive it - people who will not crowd the homegrown, hard-up for finite social resources, but add to the pot of money to fund them.

Here's what's happening...

They are trying to drag in high skilled, high earners.
SammyLeeWasOffside

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:09 pm Where journalists were arrested for merely filming the protests.
Not under any powers on the statute book. Certainly not under any new protest laws. Plain old bad policing.
Police powers were not used appropriately,” said the review, carried out at the request of Hertfordshire constabulary after accusations that the arrests this month were a threat to press freedom.

“The review team believed that the bronze [policing] plan almost exclusively endorsed arrest as the only intervention available to officers,” it added. “This approach did not differentiate between people and did not consider the balance of rights.”

Furthermore, it said, “there is evidence to suggest the potential for the arrests to amount to an ‘unlawful interference’ with the individuals’ freedom of expression under article 10” of the European convention on human rights.
sendô

Post by sendô »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm People who will pay tax, rather than receive it - people who will not crowd the homegrown, hard-up for finite social resources, but add to the pot of money to fund them
Economic migrants tend to be younger people who work full time and pay tax into the system, whilst taking very little out. In the ponzi scheme that is our capitalist economy that relies on perpetual growth and lives in constant fear of the dreaded recession, an ever increasing labour pool is needed to drive that growth.

As to the resources, that's just good old fashioned poor planning. Whether it's immigrants or "homegrowns", building masses of houses and flats in an area but not making any improvements to the general infrastructure or services will always stress those finite resources.
bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pmHere's what's happening...
Yes, non-EU migration has replaced EU migration. As I pointed out.

Again, what was the point of Brexit if everything has stayed much the same?
sendô

Post by sendô »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:15 pm Not under any powers on the statute book. Certainly not under any new protest laws. Plain old bad policing.
I love that the quote you have provided refers specifically to their freedom of expression under the European convention on human rights.

You know, that dreaded EU red tape that our erstwhile masters want to repeal.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

The EU and ECHR are separate to each other. In fact, the EU itself isn't even covered by the ECHR......
SammyLeeWasOffside

sendô wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:29 am I love that the quote you have provided refers specifically to their freedom of expression under the European convention on human rights.

You know, that dreaded EU red tape that our erstwhile masters want to repeal.
Have we moved on from protests not being stopped to something else that hasn't happened
sendô

Post by sendô »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:53 am Have we moved on from protests not being stopped to something else that hasn't happened
So those journalists didn't get arrested then?

As to the ECHR, everyone must have forgotten this from our latest home sec:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 95809.html
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm The point was to apply greater discretion about who came in.

Higher earning, higher skilled, independently wealthy.

People who will pay tax, rather than receive it - people who will not crowd the homegrown, hard-up for finite social resources, but add to the pot of money to fund them.

Here's what's happening...

They are trying to drag in high skilled, high earners.
That's sensible enough, so long as longer term there's a training and skills drive ....but who then picks the crops, fills the gaps in the care and health industries, hospitality etc etc...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:52 pm ..but who then picks the crops, ..
Here's one way

Here's some more
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm Here's one way
Based on the video, we can expect the person who came up with that to be on the next series of The Apprentice :rofl:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

MB wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:15 pm Based on the video, we can expect the person who came up with that to be on the next series of The Apprentice :rofl:
Thing is, the technology is there, it exists, it's not a future state, it's the here and now.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm Here's one way

Here's some more
You are Skynet and I claim my free T1000. :crylol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:17 pm Thing is, the technology is there, it exists, it's not a future state, it's the here and now.
And it looks a bit crap…
SammyLeeWasOffside

sendô wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:01 am So those journalists didn't get arrested then?
Not due to new laws on protest. They would have been here at as wrongly arrested last year under the same incompetent policing