Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by sendô »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65669832

UK net migration at record high of 606,000.

Still waiting on all those Brexit benefits to materialise. It seems controlling our borders is not amongst them.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

That number is just a number until you start looking at the practicalities of it. How much water per day do all those people need? Where does all their **** go? Where do over half a million people live?
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Before the referendum there was a strong majority of posters on this thread in favour of Brexit.
It seems to be the other way round now.
Have those who voted for Brexit changed their mind or are they just keeping quiet?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

brownout wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:15 pm Before the referendum there was a strong majority of posters on this thread in favour of Brexit.
It seems to be the other way round now.
Have those who voted for Brexit changed their mind or are they just keeping quiet?
I can't say I've changed my mind. My view is still that the EU in an undemocratic monster that is full of bureaucrats intent on endless Federalism.

Brexit and the government are two different things.

We have been run by a party full of clowns for ages now, utterly clueless and devoid of talent. Brexit is only as good as those who run it, and we are saddled with incompetitents.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:31 pm

Brexit and the government are two different things.

We have been run by a party full of clowns for ages now, utterly clueless and devoid of talent. Brexit is only as good as those who run it, and we are saddled with incompetitents.
It's run by incompetents because Johnson, who didn't believe in Brexit, kicked out most of his sensible colleagues who also didn't believe in Brexit.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Essexmaniac wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:57 pm It's run by incompetents because Johnson, who didn't believe in Brexit, kicked out most of his sensible colleagues who also didn't believe in Brexit.
There is a really good interview with Hammond by UKICE. It's a long read but worth it. A lot of inside story stuff
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm There is a really good interview with Hammond by UKICE. It's a long read but worth it. A lot of inside story stuff
:thup:
I know he's on an up and coming Matt Forde podcast which should be good too.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

The direction of traffic on polling continues. Whilst 21% of Brits think Brexit has solved more problems than it haas created, 63% of us think it has created more problems than it solved …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ll-reveals
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:31 pm

Brexit is only as good as those who run it, and we are saddled with incompetitents.

You're just making up words as you go along aren't you ?
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:20 am The direction of traffic on polling continues. Whilst 21% of Brits think Brexit has solved more problems than it haas created, 63% of us think it has created more problems than it solved …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ll-reveals
I would say that poll is probably about right and about where feeling has been from the off tbh. IMO a good % of leave voters would have preferred a deal with closer ties if it was workable. I can't remember polling but I would guess a vote on the deal we ended up with wouldn't have passed a referendum.

The issue, of course, was how to have closer ties without keeping to the EU four pillars. We couldn't have our cake having eaten it.

I think we will end up with closer ties over time, getting as integrated as possible without signing back up. But then I didn't think the vote would happen so what do I know.

As for the problems thing, thats probably true as well but it doesn't break down what the problems are or who the respondents hold responsible. Its likely the leave voters saying there are more problems will lay it at brussels door and be possibly more entrenched.
Bend it like Repka

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:03 am You're just making up words as you go along aren't you ?
You might believe that, but no. Sorry to disappoint.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:31 pm Brexit is only as good as those who run it, and we are saddled with incompetitents.
Sadly, you can’t polish a turd. Johnson tried to roll it in glitter for a bit, but it’s still a turd.

A cabinet with Nietzsche, Einstein, Hawkins, Goethe and Da Vinci couldn’t make it work.

It was a load of nationalistic flag waving baloney that convinced so many that we’d all be better off. We’re not better off with Brexit and never will be.
Bend it like Repka

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:51 pm It was a load of nationalistic flag waving baloney that convinced so many that we’d all be better off. We’re not better off with Brexit and never will be.
Well again, you'd have to define better off. I mean if people thought we'd be richer then they were pretty naive on that count.
The Old Man of Storr

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:44 am You might believe that, but no. Sorry to disappoint.
:grin: You didn't get it did you . :grin:
Bend it like Repka

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 am :grin: You didn't get it did you . :grin:
Think we ascertained on the Ukraine thread that we can never know if you are joking or being serious. :wink:
SammyLeeWasOffside

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:51 pm It was a load of nationalistic flag waving baloney that convinced so many that we’d all be better off. We’re not better off with Brexit and never will be.
It was timing as much as anything. In the interview I mentioned above Hammond makes the point that the EU was never about the grand project to UK citizens. We have constantly seen it as a balance of pro/con. Tbh I thinks that's probably a pretty fair reading.

Following the expansion, the decision to not delay freedom of movement from Eastern Europe and then the shambles of Cameron's new deal there was a moment when just enough thought the cons outweighed the pros.

It wasn't the fanatics or kippers that decided it, they would always vote out, it was the more centrists. Of course there was Farage and his jingoism but he was largely preaching to the choir imo.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

SammyLeeWasOffside

Our deal would have been impossible has anyone said an eu deal was impossible? They were talking about the trade deal while we were still arguing about what brexit meant. So it was pretty clear an EU deal could happen
The Old Man of Storr

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 am Think we ascertained on the Ukraine thread that we can never know if you are joking or being serious. :wink:

:grin:

Fair play to you .
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

UK no longer following EU guides on cutting safe levels of BPA plastic containers. As a result, the safe level of BPA in plastic containers in the UK is now 20,000 times higher than in Europe. The chemical, which has been linked to low sperm counts and infertility in men as well as breast and prostate cancer, was ruled to be 20,000 times too high by EU officials this month after reviewing 800 new studies.

Another Brexit benefit.