Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by -DL- »

They have the booths, the French haven't sent the staff to man them.

The Easter Holidays getaway has always been chaos at the port for as long as I can remember.

This actually isn't anything new, but it makes a fantastic anti-brexit headline, which causes people on both sides of the divide to get all mouth foamy.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1083 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:06 am Must be nice sat in those queues whilst knowing the government turned down the chance to build more booths and employ more staff to cope with having to stamp all those blue passports , that could have been any colour we chose whilst in the EU.
Doesn't make the slightest difference if the booths aren't manned.

What I don't get in this is it's being blamed on a higher than expected number of coaches. Don't they book tickets in advance?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

You lads better tell the bloke who runs the port.

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

It does make a difference if the booths are manned or not.
As an EU member there was no checks, so less staff and booths needed.

Brexit reality. To be more accurate, it's the nature of the deal. No one knew what type of Brexit we would end up with. Hard Brexit equals hard luck if you have to queue to have your passport stamped.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Every passport needs to be checked as per what the Port of Dover bloke says.

The French haven't sent enough staff over as per usual.

The Port always decends in to chaos at the start of the Easter Holidays, even pre-Brexit.

All three statements are completely correct, so why does it have to be exclusively one or the other?

It doesn't need to be an either/or - and it's well known that for years there have always been issues at Dover at the start of The Easter Holidays.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Not sure why anyone would believe Braverman on the TV today when travel experts speak the truth.

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 891 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:38 am It doesn't need to be an either/or - and it's well known that for years there have always been issues at Dover at the start of The Easter Holidays.
Also, it isn't unfeasible that the bloke in charge of what is being alluded to as a failing port, might blame something/someone else. Let's say something that a large part of the population would blame for anything even if it wasn't the main cause.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

-DL- wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:38 am Every passport needs to be checked as per what the Port of Dover bloke says.

The French haven't sent enough staff over as per usual.

The Port always decends in to chaos at the start of the Easter Holidays, even pre-Brexit.

All three statements are completely correct, so why does it have to be exclusively one or the other?

It doesn't need to be an either/or - and it's well known that for years there have always been issues at Dover at the start of The Easter Holidays.
I agree that it's always likely to be busy. You have missed two important details though.

Every passport did not need to be stamped prior to the self harming exit from the EU. So it's obvious the process will take longer meaning extra delays.

This government dismissed plans to install extra booths and facilities in 2020 that would have eased the extra problems they were aware of.
OFT
Has liked: 3206 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

On the two occasions we have driven to France(both pre Brexit) I don't remember any passport checks at all. ( that doesn't mean there weren't any but I seem to think we pretty much drove straight through any checkpoints)
We're supposed to be going again in August but I'm thinking 'sod it'
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

"It's going to get worse". Extra checks have yet to be implemented.

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Why should the French be sending more staff? Because they have more booths.

Why are more booths needed? Because checks are taking longer.

Why are checks taking longer?

SammyLeeWasOffside

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:34 am It does make a difference if the booths are manned or not.
As an EU member there was no checks, so less staff and booths needed.

Brexit reality. To be more accurate, it's the nature of the deal. No one knew what type of Brexit we would end up with. Hard Brexit equals hard luck if you have to queue to have your passport stamped.
So what was the point of your argument that they hadn't built extra booths?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Back in 2013 Jennie took Dan on a mini-tour of Europe - France , Belgium , Germany then Paris -

On the outward journey their passports were checked at Kings Cross - all the while in Europe no one was interested in checking their passports - when they got to Calais their passports were then checked again - a few folk were asking ' Why do you need to check our passports ? ' - the French replied ' Don't blame us , it's the British Government who want it done ' . So even though we were part of the EU we still acted differently to other European countries .
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:19 am Why should the French be sending more staff? Because they have more booths.

Why are more booths needed? Because checks are taking longer.

Why are checks taking longer?

Who is saying they should be sending more? They can send as many as they like or that was agreed to.

The fact is 10 booths with five manned is just as slow as 20 booths with 5 manned.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:43 am
This government dismissed plans to install extra booths and facilities in 2020 that would have eased the extra problems they were aware of.
There are empty booths even with the ones there are now. You could build 100 extra booths, but if The French do not send staff to man them what would the extra booths solve?

Am I saying that Brexit has played no part in this? From what I have posted, no.

Have I said that there are multiple reasons as to why these queues are there?

Yes, including not enough French staff, and also, which I haven't mentioned, high winds in the channel also causing delays a couple of days ago (and it was entertaining to read ardant remainers saying they've just sailed and it was fine - well yes, they sailings took place as conditions improved) as well as there have always been delays this time of year at the port.

I've maintained many times on this thread that I am neither a remainer nor a brexiteer, and am totally indifferent towards it and always have been - and it's actually rather pleasant, as I can post an impartial opinion based on all the facts and evidence rather than get all frothy depending on which side of The Brexit Divide people are on.

Of course, you then get people comment that want to blame it solely on Brexit and are not particularly responsive to anything that may be contrary to that opinion.
Last edited by -DL- on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:41 am Back in 2013 Jennie took Dan on a mini-tour of Europe - France , Belgium , Germany then Paris -

On the outward journey their passports were checked at Kings Cross - all the while in Europe no one was interested in checking their passports - when they got to Calais their passports were then checked again - a few folk were asking ' Why do you need to check our passports ? ' - the French replied ' Don't blame us , it's the British Government who want it done ' . So even though we were part of the EU we still acted differently to other European countries .
Yep it was all part of Cameron's idea that everyone entering or exiting the country be checked I think.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:45 am Yep it was all part of Cameron's idea that everyone entering or exiting the country be checked I think.
I didn't think I was going mad - I wasn't entirely sure, but had a vague recollection when that when I went abroad via Dover before we left that we had our passports checked.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:17 am "It's going to get worse". Extra checks have yet to be implemented.
While a huge new IT system being implemented is almost certain to cause problems there won't be extra checks at the border. For one thing there is no technology to get it to work with cars or coaches. The fact it's been delayed so many times already bodes well lol.

The EES will replace passport stamping with facial recognition and biometrics (ironically the use of which the EU have been much against for businesses seeing it as an infringement on basic freedoms).

The ETIAS system will require people to get a waiver document every 3 years online.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Welcome to France

The Ryanair bloke wants the EU to circumvent French Air Traffic Control Strikes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/f ... r-AA19dd7o