Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:34 am The A-team should be the best people for the job based on their ability, not based on whether they were one of the small amount of MP's willing to put their hands up and say that they felt that Brexit was a good idea.
I get that in general. Just wondering (as we know all the candidates) who that A team ought to have been. Cameron tried his hand before the referendum and got nowhere and Mays deal was resoundingly rejected by leave and remain MPs. So who should have done it - a cross party group maybe but that relies on an acceptance that we were leaving.

The problem (as you allude to in your other post) is it was all a bit half arsed - until Johnson when it added half interested as well.

Probably the biggest political event in recent history, and the politicians hadn't a clue what to do with it except to decide they weren't compromising.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

There was a window right after May (a remain supporter in 2016) took over, with a workable majority, a sizeable remain-y/soft-leave bloc in her own party, a larger and easily persuadable similar bloc in Labour and similar easy pickings in other parties. She only needed the courage or wisdom to face down the ERG/UKIP wing of her party and turn towards the middle to get a workable new arrangement with the EU.

She didn’t, she put party unity above the country’s, tried to please the unappeasable, and opted to try and bypass Parliament altogether to save the effort of consensus building. A very Tory trait.

Then came her long walk in Wales and the disastrous election….it will take a generation to recover from what’s followed.

That’s damming of our adversarial political culture which can’t and isn’t designed to promote consensus, but when big questions like this come along the system fails our country terribly.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by Prob »

Ribman isn’t happy. But then what is a local business owner meant to know that Brexit is a disaster
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Starmer: no case for rejoining EU
There is "no going back" from the UK's exit from the EU, Labour's leader has said, ahead of a speech aimed at attacking the government's record on Brexit.

Sir Keir Starmer told the BBC a Labour government would not rejoin the EU and instead seek to "make Brexit work".

He said the economy was stagnant under the Tory government its Brexit deal was "holding us back".

He said he would set out Labour's Brexit plan in a speech later.

In the speech, Sir Keir will recommit to keeping the UK out of the EU's single market, customs union and free movement rules.

Speaking to the BBC's political editor Chris Mason before the speech, Sir Keir said: "We want to go forward, not backwards. And therefore this is not about rejoining the EU.

"It's very clear that what we can't do is reopen all those arguments, all those divisions that caused so much anguish over past years."

more...
There's the Lib Dems USP at the next election. "Wanna rejoin? Vote Lib Dem"
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

f*** me, a Labour leader actually taking a position on the EU. Only about eight years too lage but better late than never I suppose.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

UK ports threaten legal action after spending millions on 'white elephant' post-Brexit border control posts

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/uk-ports ... s-12648261
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Perhaps our illustrious Brexit opportunities minister can come with an idea for them...

He's come up with eff all else.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62057321

I wonder how much this was worth to the politicos in question?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

So yesterday we had Boris accusing Labour of working with the "deep state" to undermine and reverse Brexit.

Today we have Rushi saying vote for him to keep Brexit safe.

If it is what they said it was and it will deliver what they said it will then wouldn't it protect itself by demonstrating this?

Why does it need protecting?
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

What exactly are they meant to be protecting?

Has our Brexit opportunities minister come up with one single "opportunity" yet?

As usual they are just pandering to the ERG frothers.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

"Deep State". F***ing imbecile.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

MB wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:49 am Why does it need protecting?
It doesn't and in truth it can't be. If a party that's pro rejoining wins control they will rejoin, nothing can prevent that.

The rhetoric is about election pacts imo.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

last.caress wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:46 am "Deep State". F***ing imbecile.
Playing to the cheap seats. I doubt they even see the irony of project fear
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Last week some people at work were chatting & moaning about the Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade & possibly gay marriage & interracial marriage plus all the mass shootings lately.

Then one bloke says "I'd rather be here than in the UK because of Brexit".

How bad does he think Brexit is that it's worse than mass shootings & stripping basic human rights :lol:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

According to the BBC news channel ticker, the EU are to take legal action against the UK for failing to apply the NI protocol.

In more good news, UK's divorce bill from EU could rise to £42.5bn
The UK's Brexit divorce bill from leaving the EU could rise to £42.5bn, potentially adding billions to payments, the government says.

Treasury minister Simon Clarke said inflation meant the bill could be up to £7.5bn higher than initially estimated.

Mr Clarke's statement says the increase is "primarily due to the most recent valuation of the UK's obligation under Article 142 for EU pensions".

He cited assumptions about inflation - in other words rising prices over time - as one of the main drivers of the increase.

"However, given this is a multi-decade liability, the variables used in this forecast will continue to fluctuate up and down," Mr Clarke said

more...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Isn't this finished? Haven't we Brexited?

Aren't all the sunlit uplands due soon? Or is it all going to be labour shortages and rampant inflation?

Still, I've got my blue passport.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:44 pm Isn't this finished? Haven't we Brexited?

Aren't all the sunlit uplands due soon? Or is it all going to be labour shortages and rampant inflation?

Still, I've got my blue passport.
Have you, lucky git, I've heard some horror stories about delays in getting them sent out in time.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Less than 3 weeks, and most of the first week was royal mail delivering it. No problem at all.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:04 pm According to the BBC news channel ticker, the EU are to take legal action against the UK for failing to apply the NI protocol.
Their complaint includes failure to control the movement of goods from Northern Ireland to GB mainland.....how is that to protect the Single Market? :chin:

However idiotic the Brexit idea was, and however unbelievably badly it was delivered by those who dreamed/moaned about it for 40+ years but never bothered with having an actual plan, there is no case at for the EU to be treating the people of NI in this way. It's nothing to do with protecting the SM, or even the GFA, its pure vindictive spite.

The Protocol needs to be ripped up and rewritten from scratch, it's a totally unworkable, unsustainable 'solution'.