Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by OFT »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am Do you beleive World inflation is due to Brexit?
No. in the same way I don't believe Gordon Brown was responsible for the 2008 crash.

Uk governments are and should be responsible for how they deal with global crisis

I do agree that we got to try to make 'lemonade' from the lemon we've picked, I personally wish we hadn't picked it. Had it fallen at our feet as it had ripened then there would probably be a more widespread determination to make that lemonade.

I do often repeat that for me it was never worth the risk and I'm yet to be convinced otherwise.
I genuinely hope to be wrong, my Grandchildren are depending on it.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

First post on this section:

I don’t think anyone can judge yet. We haven’t had a period of stability to assess.

Most of the issues we have today are global commerce related. It’s just too easy to tag everything ‘Brexit’ despite countries as far away as South America having the same experiences (expensive energy, shortages of skilled and non skilled labour, COVID and …finding corporate customers who have money to spend).

In the East of the UK we have seen very little negative due to Brexit. Still plenty to sort out of course like Fishing and Ireland. In hindsight, there was lots of Armageddon noise both ways because nobody knew what would happen, but everybody knew what could happen.

Our media, mostly BBC, spun every small event into a crisis topic until nothing was information, everything became a warning or an exposure.

Ridiculous headlines influence short term opinion, but history will take a more considered position.
Every country is having problems today, but are we having it better than most, or worse?

We needed to be more self sufficient whether in or out. COVID and Energy issues have shown that.
Properly training our workforce has always been essential, but lots of companies took the easy option of buying it in irrespective of the medium term implications. We needed to look after our citizens better for probably ever, and certainly since those poor guys came back from the World wars. It’s an ongoing challenge, for the UK and every other country. Haves and Have nots.

Success comes from change and moving forward. It rarely comes from doing what you did yesterday.

Thanks for listening.
👍
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Anyone live in East Kent? Down around Dover and the other ports?

Social media seems ablaze with talk of 10-mile lorry queues along the A20, with normal driving for residents a total nightmare. Strangely our media seen to be massively underreporting it :chin:

Any truth in the twitter pictures?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 am Anyone live in East Kent? Down around Dover and the other ports?

Social media seems ablaze with talk of 10-mile lorry queues along the A20, with normal driving for residents a total nightmare. Strangely our media seen to be massively underreporting it :chin:

Any truth in the twitter pictures?
There has fog in the channel the last couple of days leading to cancellations, and due to operational issues, the DFDS freight services out of Sheerness have been suspended until further notice, with the freight being diverted via Dover.

So yes, there probably is some truth to the pictures, but as per usual, they don't tell the full story and the subheadings to them can quite easily be twisted to suit ones narrative, especially when the posters have #fbpe on their bio, so then people can come on to a football forum's news section, specifically the brexit thread, and bring it up to try and make it look like brexit is to blame, despite it being weather and issues with a ferry company that has had to suspend services.

There's also been a few cancellations on Eurotunnel, but boarding times and delays are now fluid and are running normally.

It's probably not being reported because it happens frequently, and happened frequently before brexit, and it's not 'news'.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Nice post Bond Holder 59 :thup:
Bond Holder 59 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am I don’t think anyone can judge yet. We haven’t had a period of stability to assess.
I think we can and should judge it against how it was sold to us, how it shapes up versus the Leave prospectus and viewed in those terms it is a disaster. No on was told in 2016 we'd possibly, maybe see some benefits in about 50 years time. Everything was going to miles better straight away.

Trade with EU was to have "the exact same benefits" : Not even close, massive disruption, an avalanche of red-tape and exports dropped off a cliff.

Trade Deals with RoW were to ready & to be signed on day one: Not even close, USA deal generations away, only copy & paste jobs replicating the EU deals have been signed and ridiculously one-sided ones with Aus & NZ etc opening our farmers to decimation.

Save Money: Miles off, our negotiators caved in and agreed to pay big before even a trade deal was agreed. Brexit is costing more than EU membership.

Northern Ireland “there will be no forms, no checks, no barriers of any kind between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK”:
We are now the only nation on earth that has a trade border within it's own territory. The Protocol is such a rushed one-sided (in NI terms) deal that the GF/Belfast Agreement is hanging by a thread.

Less Immigration: Actually the same, just different composition, we're punting our visa's around the 3rd world to try and secure more deals.

'The easiest trade deal in human history': Terrible deal for the UK, leaving services (80% of our economy) out on a limb, and you just have to ask a farmer, a fisherman, a manufacturer or an exporter how they feel about the eventual trade deal.

Most people have lost freedom of movement and have won in exchange riskier, and more expensive, holidays as a result. Roaming charges are back on most mobile networks, visa queues at airports for holiday makers, students have lost Ersamus, scientists have lost Horizon Europe, universities have lost funding, police have lost access to shared databases, musicians can't tour in Europe, ultra-high tech UK firms lost right to sell to the Gallileo space programme...etc

And of course 'no one was talking about leaving the single market' 'the CEO’s of Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi will be knocking down the door demanding that there be no barriers' "We hold all the cards' etc.

It was a con job, and I know due to the nature of the 2016 'debate' a lot of emotion was personally invested and it turned into an identity thing, some today still through 'Remainer' around as an insult, so it's going to take a while for those to come to terms with being a patsy and no politician would gain by being the one to forcibly point it out.

However the governments own OBR calculated our GDP is 4% less today solely due to Brexit. That alone is enough to close the case, it was a silly idea, unbelievably badly implemented by the party that banged on about for 40 years without even a sketch of a plan of how to carry it. Meaning that our job now is to try and make the best of their bad-job, item one on that to-do list should be to get rid of them.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:19 am There has fog in the channel the last couple of days leading to cancellations, and due to operational issues, the DFDS freight services out of Sheerness have been suspended until further notice, with the freight being diverted via Dover.

So yes, there probably is some truth to the pictures, but as per usual, they don't tell the full story and the subheadings to them can quite easily be twisted to suit ones narrative, especially when the posters have #fbpe on their bio, so then people can come on to a football forum's news section, specifically the brexit thread, and bring it up to try and make it look like brexit is to blame, despite it being weather and issues with a ferry company that has had to suspend services.

There's also been a few cancellations on Eurotunnel, but boarding times and delays are now fluid and are running normally.

It's probably not being reported because it happens frequently, and happened frequently before brexit, and it's not 'news'.
Funny that. And the French often shut down the ports, flights, train before brexit. But then where is the fun in realism.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am First post on this section:

I don’t think anyone can judge yet. We haven’t had a period of stability to assess.

Most of the issues we have today are global commerce related. It’s just too easy to tag everything ‘Brexit’ despite countries as far away as South America having the same experiences (expensive energy, shortages of skilled and non skilled labour, COVID and …finding corporate customers who have money to spend).

In the East of the UK we have seen very little negative due to Brexit. Still plenty to sort out of course like Fishing and Ireland. In hindsight, there was lots of Armageddon noise both ways because nobody knew what would happen, but everybody knew what could happen.

Our media, mostly BBC, spun every small event into a crisis topic until nothing was information, everything became a warning or an exposure.

Ridiculous headlines influence short term opinion, but history will take a more considered position.
Every country is having problems today, but are we having it better than most, or worse?

We needed to be more self sufficient whether in or out. COVID and Energy issues have shown that.
Properly training our workforce has always been essential, but lots of companies took the easy option of buying it in irrespective of the medium term implications. We needed to look after our citizens better for probably ever, and certainly since those poor guys came back from the World wars. It’s an ongoing challenge, for the UK and every other country. Haves and Have nots.

Success comes from change and moving forward. It rarely comes from doing what you did yesterday.

Thanks for listening.
👍
1. You can see the ONS reports for the damage caused by Brexit. The government is fortunate in some ways that it has the pandemic to muddy the waters.
2. Success may come from change, however there has never been any demonstration that this change was going to succeed. I could cut my arm off, that is change, but it is going to make my life worse.

Your post consists of a load of vague statements but nothing that demonstrates why this is going to work. That’s not your fault, you aren’t in charge, but it is a hallmark of the project.

When someone produces some coherent plans on how they are going to make this benefit the UK then I might think differently. Until then I’ll go by something that my old boss said to me - if it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd, then there is a really strong chance that what you are looking at is a turd.

Brexit thus far has been almost entirely destructive. I don’t credit those that championed it with the skills to make enough improvements to offset the damage it has done, let alone put the project in credit.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1520 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 am So.... What do you suggest. More protests! More demands reverse Brexit. Or accept the vote and move on.
When given lemons, make lemonade darling :winker:
I suggest, as I have all thread, that people accept the vote and move on. That’s how democracy works. I don’t think that means that I can’t air my frustrations on how badly the govt who proposed the brexit vote have managed it though.

We have left the EU, now we need to focus on building new partnerships and creating a new system. I don’t have any faith in our current govt to do that and worryingly, those in charge had no interest in leaving the EU until it meant an opportunity for their own personal development.

They’re making lemonade for themselves with your lemons. Do you have faith that they’ll make any for anyone else?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

One very isolated anecdote but I was talking to the bloke who runs a sandwich shop near my office about the substantial price hikes seen in such establishments - and he said they, and others, have had no choice to put prices up but this was not down to Covid (which I assumed) but down to Brexit
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:55 am One very isolated anecdote but I was talking to the bloke who runs a sandwich shop near my office about the substantial price hikes seen in such establishments - and he said they, and others, have had no choice to put prices up but this was not down to Covid (which I assumed) but down to Brexit
Did they care to elaborate to how? I'm genuinely interested as I would have thought the primary reason would be energy costs. Energy his shop uses. The energy used to produce the raw ingredients. The energy used to deliver those raw ingredients to his shop.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 am So.... What do you suggest. More protests! More demands reverse Brexit. Or accept the vote and move on.
When given lemons, make lemonade darling :winker:
That seems to be an admission that right now all we've got is lemons rather than the lemonade that people felt they were being promised.

Reverse Brexit? No. If that happened now, there would be plenty who'd say but if would have worked if only we'd given it long enough. It would continue to be a festering sore. No, it has to be given time for people to see if it works or if it doesn't.

As to how much time it's got to prove that it's it's beneficial. Certainly not the fifty years Rees-Mogg claimed it could take to reap any benefits. There's zero chance that today's 18 year olds, 75% of whom I read would vote to re-join the EU, are going to wait until they are nearly seventy before voting on this again. Nor should they have to. I suspect that most people will have made their minds up on whether it's been a good thing by the time the next election comes around if it's held in '24. But absolute maximum, imho it's got about ten years, to prove itself.
Crouchend_Hammer

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:28 am Did they care to elaborate to how? I'm genuinely interested as I would have thought the primary reason would be energy costs. Energy his shop uses. The energy used to produce the raw ingredients. The energy used to deliver those raw ingredients to his shop.
No idea
I can ask him tomorrow
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:14 pm No idea
I can ask him tomorrow
What you going to have?

The one thing I miss is independent sandwich shops, especially where I am now in Paddington Basin. Loads of indy kebab shops down the Edgware!

They've pretty much been eradicated in the square mile. Very sad.
Crouchend_Hammer

Not sure yet
Might go for fusilli bolognese and then get them to put a chicken escalope on top

My favorite sandwich shop 'in town' is Casella on Salisbury Court just off Fleet Street
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:49 pm Not sure yet
Might go for fusilli bolognese and then get them to put a chicken escalope on top

My favorite sandwich shop 'in town' is Casella on Salisbury Court just off Fleet Street
Now you're talking.

There used to be an italian place at the top of Chancery Lane which sounds like the same kind of deal.

I'm a sucker for a chicken escalope.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

f*** that posh ****. Corned beef and branston pickle, and maybe push the boat out and stick a bit of raw onion it in. Now that's a sarnie.

Chicken Escalope for f*** sake. What has our fan base become? You pretentious ****ers :lover:
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Tinned or fresh?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Tinned. All. Day. Long. 🤤
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

I've got a tin in the cupboard. I can quite easily eat it out the tin. I love a bit of corned beef. Wonder whether brexit will effect stocks?

(And without anyone noticing, we got back on topic)
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Is Brazil in The EU? :chin: