Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Prob »

So the Bank of England has reported that Brexit is costing us £444million a week

So much for Boris Bus telling us leaving would save us and give the NHS an extra £350million a week

What are the benefits of Brexit again? Apart from allowing the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg to get richer
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Source?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

delbert wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 pmSource?
Think it is based on this (in terms of a credible link that doesn't go back to the front man of the Charlatans...)

BoE very cagey. Make up your own mind whether that is fear of their paymasters or because it is very difficult to quantify this stuff
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Top tier stuff.

smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

smuts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:08 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61475899

Oven ready deal everyone.
TBF, no one said anything about piercing the film on top of the oven ready. Was never gonna be anything other than messy.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

It was an opportunity to placate us Brexiteers by signing a deal that had us half out but moving in the right direction to hold on to votes. I’d still rather have one foot in with the opportunity to take it out than still having both feet in.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The train wreck continues.

However, whatever the precise details of Truss’s latest measures we know from bitter experience that devolution in Northern Ireland only works when there is cross community consent. The protocol means that consent is absent and needs fixed, so however belated, however suspicious their motives are, however much Johnson lied originally any moves to fix the protocol now should be welcomed, cautiously.

A botched Brexit was the origin of it all, of course, but an extreme absolutism on border changes by RoI/EU made things immeasurably worse and they should take their share of the blame, and cooperate more to find a solution.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Junco Partner wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 pm The train wreck continues.

However, whatever the precise details of Truss’s latest measures we know from bitter experience that devolution in Northern Ireland only works when there is cross community consent. The protocol means that consent is absent and needs fixed, so however belated, however suspicious their motives are, however much Johnson lied originally any moves to fix the protocol now should be welcomed, cautiously.

A botched Brexit was the origin of it all, of course, but an extreme absolutism on border changes by RoI/EU made things immeasurably worse and they should take their share of the blame, and cooperate more to find a solution.
You are quite correct and it’s fair to say the politically both sides knew this was the shakiest of solutions. From the very start Barnier had pounced upon the Belfast agreement to use a political leverage without an ounce of concern of its worth. Likewise, Boris had always intended to play fast and loose with the protocol and therefore using the reverse argument about regional stability as a means of dropping it. It was a very poor idea in the first place. It’s very curious now how EU rules didn’t reference how it would deal with a Belfast agreement in the event of a UK withdrawal. Treaties were written prior the Belfast agreement, but no thought about it.
Eventually the protocol will be ripped up and will be replaced by something workable for internal UK trade.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

It turns out that negotiating a free trade area smaller than our own country was a bad idea.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

EvilC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm It turns out that negotiating a free trade area smaller than our own country was a bad idea.
I quite agree. Which is why we should have walked away with a “no” deal under initial WTO trading conditions.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 pm It was an opportunity to placate us Brexiteers by signing a deal that had us half out but moving in the right direction to hold on to votes. I’d still rather have one foot in with the opportunity to take it out than still having both feet in.
That’s not how it was sold was it? That’s not what people thought they were voting for. But I don’t suppose ‘Get Brexit Half-Done’ would have won him as many red wall votes.

Anyway, did you know at the time he was trying to “placate” you, or lying as I’d call it, or was it only later you realised you’d been taken in with his promises of finality?

Does anyone remember any Brexit supporting politicians or their supporters on here lauding Johnson’s deal as incomplete, but “moving in the right direction”.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 pm I quite agree. Which is why we should have walked away with a “no” deal under initial WTO trading conditions.
Not so sure that amputating an economic limb is a great alternative either.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:14 pm That’s not how it was sold was it? That’s not what people thought they were voting for. But I don’t suppose ‘Get Brexit Half-Done’ would have won him as many red wall votes.

Anyway, did you know at the time he was trying to “placate” you, or lying as I’d call it, or was it only later you realised you’d been taken in with his promises of finality?

Does anyone remember any Brexit supporting politicians or their supporters on here lauding Johnson’s deal as incomplete, but “moving in the right direction”.
Yes of course I realised that. There was plenty of discussion about it being the focal point long before an election was ever called or Boris was PM.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:27 pm Yes of course I realised that. There was plenty of discussion about it being the focal point long before an election was ever called or Boris was PM.
You’ve lost me. Plenty of discussion about what being the focal point?
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

EvilC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 pm Not so sure that amputating an economic limb is a great alternative either.
That depends on how greatly or deeply you believed change was desperately needed to revitalise and reshape vital parts of our infrastructure, Industry etc…as I did.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 pm You’ve lost me. Plenty of discussion about what being the focal point?
Northern Ireland
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

You’re a man of few words. I’ll try to piece this together. You voted for Johnson and his Get Brexit Done lune knowing that Johnson wouldn’t get Brexit done but that this would be a step in the right direction. I’m sure you’ll put me right if I’m wrong on this but I don’t remember anything about this being said by Johnson and co. Frost and himself told us it was a great deal, not an ok-until-we-get-it-right-next-time stop-gap? Can you point us to one of your old posts from the time that showed you knew Johnson was lying through his teeth to Brexiters?

And you considered NI a focal point but knew that at some time the protocol would have to be ripped up/ re-written despite that being an obvious threat to the Good Friday Agreement and us being reliant on the EU to help us out on this when they don’t owe Brexiteer politicians anything at all? Good plan.

What’s the new plan? Does Johnson say “Look, I negotiated in bad faith last time around, but it worked - you suckers fell for it that I was serious when I signed it. But this time, I’ve turned over a new leaf and am recognised as a man of great integrity. This time the treaty will be a a keeper. Promise.” Should work just fine.
Last edited by DaveWHU1964 on Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Yes
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

A man of even fewer words than I thought when it gets a bit awkward and tricky.

Still, you seem to have confirmed that you are cool with Johnson playing hard and loose with the GFA with all the possible end games that entails and that whilst you of course weren’t taken in for a moment, Johnson has taken the rest of the 17 million voters for c**** by making them believe ‘Get Brexit Done’ wasn’t just a catchy phrase.