Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by the pink palermo »

Big George wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 pm So first European trip post Brexit and pleasantly surprised. Both Stansted & Palma airport had their act together despite huge number, yes it was rammed but the experience going out and coming back was 8/10.

Anyone else?
Done dozens of European trips since we were kicked out of the EU, and the only issue I've had was Schipol Airport, post Covid, insufficient staff in the passport huts.

Simple solution for me is to fl to Eindhoven, a 5th of the price, take a short bus to the train station and 1hr 5 mns later get off in Amstedam. It's quicker, less hassle and cheaper.

Those friendly europeans saving me money.

They'll dry their eyes eventually.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

“Kicked out” :crylol:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Pinks - we kicked ourselves out mate 🙂

Was at Schipol two weekends ago. The queues were ridiculous. Two hours to get through security.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:26 am “Kicked out”
Amazing , I thought it was self inflicted too :newthumb:

Apols for the like/unlike thing EvilC(meant to quote) not a fan of the laughing face thing on some forums.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

OFT wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:19 am Amazing , I thought it was self inflicted too :newthumb:

Apols for the like/unlike thing EvilC(meant to quote) not a fan of the laughing face thing on some forums.
Obviously your name is going on a list for that. :wink:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Getting stamps on your passport going in & out of Europe is profoundly depressing.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 am Getting stamps on your passport going in & out of Europe is profoundly depressing.
I prefer it. It's a nice momento of where you have been. They always stopped us and looked at it anyway - at least we get something in return for all the help we are giving them.

Absolutely no bother to or from Kefalonia a couple of months ago.

Might do Cyprus if we get a tie there, especially mid-September.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1120 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Went to Amsterdam in May and am currently near Split in Croatia. Absolutely no issues with passport control or anything else for that matter. Schiphol was a breeze in fact. Roaming charges are the only annoyance.

I also like getting a stamp on my passport as a ‘memento’ :D
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Not brexit related because it was the same in 2019, why aren’t kids under 12 allowed to use the self service gates returning to Gatwick? That was the only minor gripe travelling to Crete and back recently.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

EvilC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:26 am “Kicked out” :crylol:
To get someone to do what you want as opposed to what they want, you simply shut off all other options to them.

The EU knew what it was doing trying to force through ever greater federalism.It knew we would never go along with it.

France got what it wanted.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:21 am To get someone to do what you want as opposed to what they want, you simply shut off all other options to them.

The EU knew what it was doing trying to force through ever greater federalism.It knew we would never go along with it.

We voted to leave, we weren't kicked out.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Yeah, we were kicked out of the EU in entirely the same way a bunch of football clubs were nearly kicked out of their leagues in order to form the ESL.

I love you like the brother I never wanted Pinky, but I have to say that in this instance you are talking toilet.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:21 am To get someone to do what you want as opposed to what they want, you simply shut off all other options to them.

So it's still all on the foreigners? Sorry Pinks - you're re-writing history.

Imho, this country's leaders and to a far, far lesser degree, its leave voters needs to take responsibility for what they wanted snd got. And that means taking all the plaudits if it turns out to be a resounding success but accepting responsibility to whatever large or small degree, depending on the individual if it tanks.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:31 am So it's still all on the foreigners? Sorry Pinks - you're re-writing history.

Imho, this country's leaders and to a far, far lesser degree, its leave voters needs to take responsibility for what they wanted snd got. And that means taking all the plaudits if it turns out to be a resounding success but accepting responsibility to whatever large or small degree, depending on the individual if it tanks.
Dave

I've been open and honest on here many times as to how I voted and why, and I would do the same tomorrow if asked again.

To recap, rather than rewrite -

I wanted a fully locally accountable Parliament that sets my taxes and follows a locally determined foreign policy

I wanted a balanced economy based upon high technology, not low labour costs

I didn't want to see politicians in other countries be granted more powers based upon elections in which I had neever taken part, nor had the msjority of this countirs citizens

I didn't want a European army

Consequently, when I was asked the question, there was only one answer I could give, and I gave it secure in the knowledge I would queue forever when going abroad.

What I hadn't factored in was the degree of upset for those who wished to remain - and that does bother me, but given the almost total silence from a remain camp and the low turn out at the ballot box, how many were really that bothered.

As a nation we never truly engaged with the European Union in the way they wanted us to, and they had reached the point where they( primarily, the French) wanted us to crap or get off the pot.

This isn't xenophobia, it's a simple recognition that many people in this country wanted something different to some citizens in other countries.I own properties in the EU, had my first job working on a production line in a German factory over 30 years ago and have lived at least a third of my life in the EU.

As a Nation we can still trade with EU countries, and as a citizen I can still visit, I'm fine with where we are in our relationship with them. Small businesses have been impacted, I get that, the extra admin is a burden, but the EU and the UK could agree a way of working if they both wanted to.Until then, lets all be honest, the EU backed us in to a corner, and were more than a little surpised to see us vote the way we did.

I'm ok with it though.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:06 am I prefer it. It's a nice momento of where you have been. They always stopped us and looked at it anyway - at least we get something in return for all the help we are giving them.

Absolutely no bother to or from Kefalonia a couple of months ago.

Might do Cyprus if we get a tie there, especially mid-September.
Had an old passport with loads of stamps for countries I visited.I likewise loved it, made me feel rather well traveled.

Was going to make it into a collage, using the passport pages/stamps and adding the respective local currencies. Something else to do, that I've not quite got around to doing.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Should probably celebrate it is just £120m wasted this time. Not sure which thread this belonged in as looks like it was on May's watch rather than Boris...

Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other

More carnage crossing the channel. This time Calais and UK border control.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^They were completely taken aback by the end of the summer holidays ocurring in the first week of September.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

The real reasons the ERG wing pushed not only Brexit but a hard Brexit gradually unravelling, though there was enough warnings of the probable realities pre- referendum voting.

Bankers bonuses, sewage and river pollution scrutiny, farming methods, workers hours and rights......
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... al-335096/

Old Nige is getting short of summat to rant about.

The Only bonus of Brexit so far is that nutcase has campaigned himself out of a cushy little earner in Brussels and we don't have to watch him on TV with a pint of mild, and a woodbine in his grubby mitts