Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:51 am Yes. Not that this matters, as your voting choice is never going to align directly with your beliefs and will partly be dictated by your constituency make up as a result of our voting system.
A simple yes/no would have been fine... :winker:
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

EvilC wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:09 am You are concerned about devalued Sterling? Take a look at what it has done since June 23 2016.

A decent government wouldn’t elect to leave the EU.
It has been losing value whilst in the EU. Why would you keep hoping it gets better?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:56 pm It has been losing value whilst in the EU. Why would you keep hoping it gets better?
Not doing something to make it a lot worse is better than doing something to make it a lot worse.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Or keep doing something in the hope the results change.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:15 pm Or keep doing something in the hope the results change.
Is better than making it worse.

You can change a lot of things in a lot of ways. The choice of blaming the EU and nuking our trading relationship looks quite bad.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Potatoe, potado. If things continue to fail, change is needed.
Tools down. Game on! :crestnew:
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 pm Potatoe, potado. If things continue to fail, change is needed.
Tools down. Game on! :crestnew:
“Things aren’t going as well as I would like, let’s really f*** them up” isn’t an idea I can get behind.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Has 666 ever posted anything West Ham related on KUMB? :think:
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

I used to post more in the GD, but I enjoy chatting more about the game at, work, home, pub ect. I read it still, and the snug. But I find the great thing about this forum is it gives us a chance to voice opinions and hear them where in public its not comfortable to do so.
Beleive it or not, not everyone agrees with my politics :shock: :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

666 hammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:55 am I used to post more in the GD, but I enjoy chatting more about the game at, work, home, pub ect. I read it still, and the snug. But I find the great thing about this forum is it gives us a chance to voice opinions and hear them where in public its not comfortable to do so.
Beleive it or not, not everyone agrees with my politics :shock: :grin:
I've just randomly clicked on ten pages of your posting history.

There was a solitary post in GD from 2018.

I will remind you of the T&Cs of membership of this site.

c). Although we provide numerous discussion forums our members are reminded that any accounts which are used primarily for non-WHU discussion may be suspended. This also applies to inactive accounts (accounts registered but unused for some considerable time).
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

It will be interesting to see in a few years' time what impacts are attributed to Brexit, Covid and the Russian campaign in Ukraine.

Lots of obfuscating factors but it's hard to see Brexit helping our economy at the moment.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Having a free trade area smaller than your own country now appears to be a problem.

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 77975.html

The UK has “no option” other than to rip up “part of all” of the Northern Ireland Protocol says Lord Frost. That’s the same Lord Frost who negotiated this protocol with the EU and along with Johnson and co, signed up to it and commended to the rest of us as a fantastic deal.

They want another fight with the EU because they have such disdain and contempt for an element of their own voters that they think this will keep them on board and distract them from the British architects of a deal that this government freely signed up to and then lauded to the rest of is.

I don’t think they are laughing at all of us. I think they’re laughing at any of their voters who are still distracted by or taken in by this ****.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

"Get Brexit Done" at any cost. Then "Get The Agreement We've Signed Undone" at any cost.

The charlatan in chief Rees Mogg was on the BBC this morning....what a supercilious twat he is, I hate him with a passion...... perhaps I should try drugs(see cannabis thread) :smiler:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

They knew that if they did not get it done then it wouldn't happen. Polling etc was swinging against them and they'd promised in the election.

They also, naively, thought the EU would look at the "spirit" or even renegotiate afterwards. Their disdain and inability to understand the EU's position lead to this.

Yes the EU has taken a literal position but everyone with half a brain knew they would. It was one of the reasons people wanted out FFS.

This was one of the reasons I voted remain. There has always been possibilities for Brexit to be a success but it requires a level of planning and strategic intellect which is missing from the dim witted zealots who got us here. I knew they'd cock it up.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Same here MB. I didn't have much faith in Cameron sorting it out if we left...if you'd have told me it would have been the likes of Boris, Mogg etc sorting out the aftermath, christ...
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

MB wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:08 am They knew that if they did not get it done then it wouldn't happen. Polling etc was swinging against them and they'd promised in the election.

They also, naively, thought the EU would look at the "spirit" or even renegotiate afterwards. Their disdain and inability to understand the EU's position lead to this.

Yes the EU has taken a literal position but everyone with half a brain knew they would. It was one of the reasons people wanted out FFS.

This was one of the reasons I voted remain. There has always been possibilities for Brexit to be a success but it requires a level of planning and strategic intellect which is missing from the dim witted zealots who got us here. I knew they'd cock it up.
I agree with almost all you say MB. All I'd question is did they naively think the "EU would look at the spirit or even renegotiate afterwards" or was it a simple case of them doing anything, saying anything, signing up to anything in order to get Brexit done, knowing full well that what they'd signed up to was a sack of **** but could be sold to people as a beaut?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

MB wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:08 am They knew that if they did not get it done then it wouldn't happen. Polling etc was swinging against them and they'd promised in the election.

The only way it was possible for it to work was exit via treaty over a long period and it would have been fraught with risk. This would never have been enough for the ERG, so was unacceptable, and like you say we got the dim-witted zealots in charge so you got economic self-harm.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

RaddyKovac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:40 pm It will be interesting to see in a few years' time what impacts are attributed to Brexit, Covid and the Russian campaign in Ukraine.

Lots of obfuscating factors but it's hard to see Brexit helping our economy at the moment.
Our trade deficit for the first quarter of this year was £25 billion, the largest since records began in 1997. Of course the effects of covid on trade have been massive and still linger but restrictions were largely over for the most part of those three months. Intuitively, you'd think that the covid effect would have been worse in any other quarter of the last two years than this last quarter. And the war didn't start until nearly two thirds into that record-creakingly-bad quarter.

The government and its supporters will hide behind the war and covid, and to a degree they will of course be right but it's pretty clear now, that the only thing that was constant throughout that quarter of the three factors you mention, Brexit, is having a severe effect on our economy. Still, the war and covid are useful shields for those who promised us a brighter tomorrow.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:47 am I agree with almost all you say MB. All I'd question is did they naively think the "EU would look at the spirit or even renegotiate afterwards" or was it a simple case of them doing anything, saying anything, signing up to anything in order to get Brexit done, knowing full well that what they'd signed up to was a sack of **** but could be sold to people as a beaut?
There have been plenty of comments from Boris and Co around the EU acting unreasonably and not looking to compromise on the wording which was agreed. I don't think that is bluster for the target audience. I think it is genuine shock from people whose own word means very little that you actually have to stick to the letter of what you agree with someone.

Even in the mad rush it didn't need to be as bad if someone bothered to look at the detail.

I've only (directly) seen a small bit of it around the customs arrangements. One of our clients had an issue moving some vehicles into NI. We spoke to HMRC who said "no problem, it is covered under this section of the agreement..." turned out between November and the final wording being agreed in December that section had been removed and no-one on the UK side even knew when they signed it.

So we get told, don't worry we'll speak HMT who will speak to the EU and get this sorted out. Of course the message back was "if you wanted it, you should have asked for the deletion to be reversed before you signed".

There are about 25 issues like this I'm aware of just on VAT and customs. They thought they were signing something very different (and still seem to now).

They are so far out of their depth.