Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I think this is astonishing ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... avid-frost

... in amongst Frost's 'always the victim, never our fault' bleating that seeks to blame the EU/ Ireland/ anyone other than the incompetent liars who wanted this and drove it , he admits to the "relative UK weakness and EU predominance in the withdrawal agreement negotiations". So much for us holding all the cards and the rubbish we heard that the constant attitude that they needed us more than we needed them, German car makers, etc.

He also says that the Northern Ireland protocol would only have worked if the EU hadn't implemented its own rules and rights. So we were relying on the EU to make us leaving the EU a success :? As some of us warned before the referendum, that was never, ever going to happen.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

delbert wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:10 pm That's because, like your unicorns, taps spouting liquid gold would be impossible and sunlit uplands are weather reliant, but blue passports and some of the other stuff on that list are do able.
Why would they be trying to excite anyone?
Maybe excite is the wrong word but they need to do something to get the energy back into this whole project. Even the truest of true believers at the Express at starting to drip stories into their readers ears that maybe things aren't all rosy.

Was anyone really dreaming of Brexit to reduce pat testing and to let people be used as crash test dummies for new medical treatments?
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

I agree and have stated similar, it's like they got what they wanted but don't know what to do with it.

That's just your negativity. If they did do crap people disagree with, we can vote them out. Not an option when the EU was doing the changing..........
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

delbert wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:42 am I agree and have stated similar, it's like they got what they wanted but don't know what to do with it.

That's just your negativity. If they did do crap people disagree with, we can vote them out. Not an option when the EU was doing the changing..........
TBF, we desperately need a viable opposition party, otherwise they'll do what the hell they want and treat the public with apparent disdain.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

delbert wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:42 am I agree and have stated similar, it's like they got what they wanted but don't know what to do with it.

It's almost like there isn't much they can do with it because it has created a series of problems that they can't deal with.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Yes, it’s hard to say exactly how much of our economic problems are down to whatever combination of covid, Ukraine, Brexit, etc but this lot have given it a good try on the economic effects of Brexit that will take some explaining away …

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-06-09/bre ... arch-finds
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:02 am Yes, it’s hard to say exactly how much of our economic problems are down to whatever combination of covid, Ukraine, Brexit, etc but this lot have given it a good try on the economic effects of Brexit that will take some explaining away …

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-06-09/bre ... arch-finds
The GDP graph looks a bit odd. Are they saying if we had stayed we would have outstripped EU GDP growth? Also the covid dips/recovery/dips look to follow the same pattern but are somehow more severe from being out. The EU pattern was a bit different to ours and we had more of a boost from early vaccines. The EU covid GDP was propped up early by Germany, this didn't help France, Spain. Italy etc as individual countries though. Therefore can they say it would have helped us?
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Heseltine makes a point or two that I’ve been making regarding Brexit newspapers/ politicians/ commentators gradual realisation of what they’ve done. Not that any/ many will blame themselves. It will of course be someone else’s fault. Remainders, leftie politicians, the EU, etc, etc, etc …

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -brexit-eu
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 pm Heseltine makes a point or two that I’ve been making regarding Brexit newspapers/ politicians/ commentators gradual realisation of what they’ve done. Not that any/ many will blame themselves. It will of course be someone else’s fault. Remainders, leftie politicians, the EU, etc, etc, etc …

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -brexit-eu
I'm not disputing all the points raised in the article, but it should be noted that Heseltine was/is one of the most staunch remainers in the Tory party.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The sound of penny’s dropping in our Brexity media was palpable this week. As Hezza says, if Murdochs Pravda’s and the Express & Mail are now pointing out the carnage its because it just can’t be ignored anymore.

I got the daggers at Faro airport few weeks ago when I skipped out of the mile-long ‘Non-EU’ passport queue and pulled the Eire passport from my back pocket. A small thing, but this is most peoples only direct involvement with the bureaucracy Brexit has brought, and the anger of standing sweating in an airport concourse before starting their holiday was there.

All the propaganda billionaire tax exiles can buy won’t diffuse the building anger.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Of course that’s right Bends but it’s not his views that are interesting here, but those of these absolutely dyed in the wool Brexiters’.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

There is quite a bit of cherry picking in that article.

Do any of the brexit press point the finger at Brexit specifically or are they broad - the economy is struggling - pieces? The mail one is about calling for tax cuts for instance.

Tbh I think it's as wrong to pick a moment of change as evidence it will never work as it is/was to say everything will immediately be fine. For example as he points out, exports to non EU countries have replaced about a 3rd of the lost EU exports. That's an ongoing process of change. It may not ever work but to say after 18 months that replacing 1/3 of lost eu exports is a sign it won't ever work seems a bit hasty. After all it took 40 years to build up the exports to that level within the EU.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Person who voted for tiger face eating party is surprised when face is eaten by tigers
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

He told all and sundry there will be no borders in the Irish Sea and if there was we're to phone him (When he's not either on hes jollies or in a hi viz somewhere) an he will tell them to throw the paperwork in the bin and is now having a tantrum the lie has been exposed. He isn't and never was committed to Brexit he has used it for hes own ends to become Prime Minister he had 2 dossiers one to support Leave and one to support Remain he waited until the last possible moment to commit to what side and once he went for Leave he then planned to be Prime Minister and then rushed this 'Oven Ready' through with bluster and lies
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by E15Iron »

Lets be honest, it's all gone a bit sh*t hasn't it.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

E15Iron wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:37 pm Lets be honest, it's all gone a bit sh*t hasn't it.
Ask again in 50 years when its had a chance :winker:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

OFT wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:29 am Ask again in 50 years when its had a chance :winker:
And we'd all be in clover if it weren't for covid.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Not sure if it needs it's own thread, but seemingly as Brexit is wound so close with the EU, what impact will this have on European relations?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61859881

Surely Macron has lost his mandate to take France balls deep into fuller EU integration?
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

The vote was six years ago tomorrow.

Has anyone changed their mind either way or feel that their choice has been vindicated?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:11 pm The vote was six years ago tomorrow.

Has anyone changed their mind either way or feel that their choice has been vindicated?
You’ve definitely had one poster here that has changed his mind.

Sadly I think my choice has been vindicated.