Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Junco Partner »

old fart wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:18 pm You know that wasn't, it was because Philips refused to stand down temporarily to facilitate an investigation into her handling of the ill-fated Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme.
That's the point I'm making Old Fart.

Sinn Fein pull down the Executive for a bunch of reasons (RHI investigation amongst them).
DUP refuse to form an Executive unless the Union severing Protocol is amended/removed.

According to some only one (guess which) is because they refuse to serve with the 'other lot' :chin:
old fart wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:18 pm DUP victims of bigotry ?
Some freely compare them with the KKK :winker:
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

How long before we have a referendum to rejoin?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

No shortages of anything in Waitrose this morning except reasonable prices - so business as usual.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Some freely compare them with the KKK :winker:
But Sinn Fein went into shared govt. The DUP pointedly refused, they could have used the Protocol as their reason before the election, they'd been kicking off enough about itbut waited until after they lost the election thus leaving themselves wide open to this accusation

Bit harsh on the KKK :winker:
Last edited by old fart on Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Hate to break it to Mr. Brexit Baker but Northern Ireland has continued to have that since Brexit, which of course he helped ensure we haven't.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:37 pm There you go. It's the way the Swiss roll.
Less paperwork and checks, less costs, stocks run more smoothly. It's why if we don't return to the single market, yet, Labour will seek a trade deal taken bits of the Norwegian or Swiss models.
What does food cost in Switzerland?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:36 pm We knew what the issues exactly were. Big financial scandals and the Irish language issue.
We know what the issues exactly are. The Union severing protocol and cross-community consent being removed to impose it.
Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:36 pm SF has served under Paisley, Trumble etc for 21 of the 24 years since the GF agreement and restablishment of power at Stormont.
DUP has served with McGuinness and O'Neill etc for 21 of the 24 years since GF agreement and the reestablishment of power at Stormont. Despite terrorist spy-rings, massive bank robberies, several republican murders...etc.

But only one are the problem :chin:
Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:36 pm To say I don't have any affection for SF would be an understatement, I just want to see peace in Northern Ireland because I'm old enough to remeber what it was when there wasn't. Donaldson seems more sensible than some of this colleagues, I hope he can make it work.
I hope so to George, the problem today's announcement is attempting to solve is a direct result of a botched Brexit, and an exclusively Nationalist solution to the unique problems this kicked up for Northern Ireland, we know from bitter experience that devolution in Northern Ireland only works when there is cross community consent, the Protocol never had that.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:52 pm What does food cost in Switzerland?
A loaf of bread costs approximately three times as much as the UK according to a quick google. :shock:
old fart

Post by old fart »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:00 pm A loaf of bread costs approximately three times as much as the UK according to a quick google. :shock:
Don't think they sell tesco economy sliced in Switzerland :crossed:
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:57 pm
I hope so to George, the problem today's announcement is attempting to solve is a direct result of a botched Brexit, and an exclusively Nationalist solution to the unique problems this kicked up for Northern Ireland, we know from bitter experience that devolution in Northern Ireland only works when there is cross community consent, the Protocol never had that.
Agreed. And the DUP will never give an inch.

A hateful and outdated collection of bigots who stand in the way of progress and equality.
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Less than postive noises coning from the DUP's nutter wing, a man who should have been thrown out of parliament.

Big George

Post by Big George »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:57 pm I hope so to George, the problem today's announcement is attempting to solve is a direct result of a botched Brexit, and an exclusively Nationalist solution to the unique problems this kicked up for Northern Ireland, we know from bitter experience that devolution in Northern Ireland only works when there is cross community consent, the Protocol never had that.
There was no good option for Northern Ireland post Brexit. The GFA was inextriably linked to EU memebrship, trying to fix that is like trying to take the eggs out of a sponge cake. I genuinely hopoe Sunak pulls this off but the demographics are turning against the DUP and confecting conflict maybe the only route to power they have.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:18 pm There was no good option for Northern Ireland post Brexit. The GFA was inextriably linked to EU memebrship,
Its wasn't. It was assumed membership for both RoI & UK would continue, and it certainly made things easier, but it was never inextricably linked and the EU had next to nothing to do with it's negotiating or signing.
Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:18 pmI genuinely hopoe Sunak pulls this off
Hope so to George, a change to EFTA/EEA status for the UK is probably a government or two away yet, but that would solve all these problems and this may be the first baby steps towards that. However if this 'Framework' is imposed regardless of Unionist concerns it will only make things worse.
Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:18 pmbut the demographics are turning against the DUP
Demographics? No reputable poll puts support in NI for a single state solution at more than high 30's (percent). SF get 30% regularly so do the DUP, they dipped in 2022 as the horrors of the Protocol pushed some of their voters to the more staunch TUV.
Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:18 pmand confecting conflict maybe the only route to power they have.
There you go again George, objecting to an existential threat to the Union is not 'confecting conflict'. That marginalisation of unionist concerns is part of the reason we are where we are today.
old fart

Post by old fart »

See the faces of Cash and his mob as Sunak explains the new treaty
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Sunak's basically just listing reasons why Brexit is rubbish....and they're cheering him :?
Big George

Post by Big George »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:44 pm Demographics? No reputable poll puts support in NI for a single state solution at more than high 30's (percent). SF get 30% regularly so do the DUP, they dipped in 2022 as the horrors of the Protocol pushed some of their voters to the more staunch TUV.
I don't mean a single state solution. The young in Northern Ireland are more secular and have no interest in returning to conflict. Daresay a couple a couple of years of a SF first minsister have to take responsibility for issues with health care, education etc wil have the same affect for them.
Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:44 pm There you go again George, objecting to an existential threat to the Union is not 'confecting conflict'. That marginalisation of unionist concerns is part of the reason we are where we are today.
I think the best way to secure the Union would be getting back to Stormont and try to make this deal work. Short of building gun towers on the border with Eire, this is the best deal they could possibly hope for. Sunak has got some remarkable concenssions.
Big George

Post by Big George »

old fart wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:51 pm See the faces of Cash and his mob as Sunak explains the new treaty
He has just thanked Cash "The member for Stone" for his help in drafting the international law asepct of the treaty to make it compliant with 'Vienna convention' (no, me neither) so I think we can assume he is onside
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

If that's the case George it's a remarkable victory for the DUP, because the Protocol could NEVER be changed and withholding consent in Stormont wouldn't change anything......yet they've got 27 nations and the UK government to change it :chin:
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:55 pm He has just thanked Cash "The member for Stone" for his help in drafting the international law asepct of the treaty to make it compliant with 'Vienna convention' (no, me neither) so I think we can assume he is onside
From the official blurb.

"Both the UK and EU have been clear in the Political Declaration accompanying the agreement that the Protocol, as amended, will be subject to the general principles of public international law as set out under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties. This underlines that the fundamental underpinning of this arrangement is in international law, not EU law and the EU institutions"