Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by old fart »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:58 pm If that's the case George it's a remarkable victory for the DUP, because the Protocol could NEVER be changed and withholding consent in Stormont wouldn't change anything......yet they've got 27 nations and the UK government to change it :chin:
That's half the problem with the DUP, you see it in terms of victory, and you shouldn't play politics with peoples jobs and aspirations
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:52 pm What does food cost in Switzerland?
As previously mentioned on here. Generally supermarket prices fluctuate across most of the EU. They seem to accept for the availability.
We benefit and generally the relatively stable prices suit most, until we struggle to source. Again, as mentioned, as in tomatoes now, it's easier ( no checks/ paperwork/ delays) and more profitable to move around the EU.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 pm As previously mentioned on here. Generally supermarket prices fluctuate across most of the EU. They seem to accept for the availability.
We benefit and generally the relatively stable prices suit most, until we struggle to source. Again, as mentioned, as in tomatoes now, it's easier ( no checks/ paperwork/ delays) and more profitable to move around the EU.
So it's more expensive?
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

Not always but can be. At least it's more reliably available.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

He HAS changed. In more ways than one.

Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Stella Creasey & Naomi Long ( Alliance Party leader) both put Baker in his place when he attempted to put the Windsor Agreement on par with the Good Friday Agreement.
Highlighting the division and mess created by Brexit and how good faith can lead to deals and compromise.

Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:00 pm A loaf of bread costs approximately three times as much as the UK according to a quick google. :shock:
I'd say around double, but then bear in mind the minimum wage, in cantons where it exists, is around £20 per hour and salaries in general are much higher than the UK if you look at the £ equivalent (for example average nurses salary is around £100k per year although all healthcare is private so bound to be higher, but most salaries in general would be around double the UK)

Also the chf is very strong at the moment @ 1.13 chf/£....not that long ago it was over 2 chf/£ so things look at lot more expensive from a UK perspective than they are if you live here and are paid in chf. Its taken me 13 years but I've just about stopped working out what the £-equivalent of things is in my head.

Anyway, given all this, given the higher salaries but higher cost of living I don't particularly feel any better/worse off financially than when I lived in the UK
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:28 pm He HAS changed. In more ways than one.

Bible bashing prick. Must have been so hard on him spending 7 years removing my rights.
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

If we get this right, if we get this framework implemented, if we get the executive back up and running here, Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position – unique position in the entire world, European continent – in having privileged access, not just to the UK home market, which is enormous, the fifth biggest in the world, but also the European Union single market. Nobody else has that. No one. Only you guys. Only here. And that is the prize.

I can tell you, when I go around the world and talk to businesses, they know. They’re like, ‘That’s interesting, if you guys get this sorted, then we want to invest in Northern Ireland.’

Because nowhere else does that that exist. That’s like the world’s most exciting economic zone.
Words from our own PM - the penny is so close to dropping for these guys
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

YGNB wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:49 pm Words from our own PM - the penny is so close to dropping for these guys
Northern Ireland can trade freely in the EU and into, for example, Australia via the UK Trade Portfolio. How many members of 'the single market' can do that?

Sooner or later, the penny will drop that the aim is a broader range of free trade deals specifically tailored to our domestic needs and free of any of the social encumbrances.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

Would Sunak be brave enough to try and take us back into the single market, now that he is preaching the value of what he took away from us all?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:23 pm
Sounds great - I'd certainly agree to rejoining the single market and also being in the CPTPP. Wouldn't you?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I don't believe that NI has effectively rejoined the SM. It has rejoined the SM for goods. I believe that is different.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:15 pm Northern Ireland can trade freely in the EU and into, for example, Australia via the UK Trade Portfolio. How many members of 'the single market' can do that?
'The Single Market', continually devastated at total lack of boomerang-buying opportunities..

Sooner or later, the penny will drop that the aim is a broader range of free trade deals specifically tailored to our domestic needs and free of any of the social encumbrances.
When will the 'aim' become actual reality for the rest of the UK?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Well...

CPTPP is close, apparently.

Australia, New Zealand and enhanced Japan done. Canada upgrade in motion along with India.

The need to stop fixating on Europe is gaining increased traction in Europe.
Sabine Weyand EC Trade lead, today wrote:“The west against the rest” would not be a solution, she said, as the “club of liberal democracies is just too small” – there would simply not be enough trading partners.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

EvilC wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:12 pm.
You've left EvilC speechless, bubbs..
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

He probably read some of the tweets on that bloke's account...