Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Prob »

delbert wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:27 pm Currently, it does.

No it didn't, it boiled down to leaving the EU.

I'll go out on a limb here and wager you haven't spoken to all 17.4 million people.

I'll go out on another limb and wager you have no evidence to back up the claim that everyone you mentioned has dual nationality.

You might be right there......
The whole brexit campaign was around taking back control of our boarders. Sugar coat it all you want but at the core immigration was the biggest factor in the vote and was used by many in the leave camp.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 55266.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN1YN18N
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:16 pm There is so much nonsense in this it's difficult to know where to begin so I will stick to this bit. As one of the 17.4m I have no problem with immigration from the EU I know a few who do but far more who don't either. The problem with freedom of movement is it is in its nature uncontrolled. Therefore difficult to plan infrastructure for, difficult to avoid being exploitative and difficult to prevent talent drifting to wealth. The flaws in it showed up with expansion. Nothing wrong with the idea but the implementation needed work.
You are saying you are for and against immigration in the same breath. You can't plan for the numbers regardless if you have freedom of movement or not. Sadly what many political and talking heads lie to the public about is immigration. The only real way this country will see any economic growth now is to increase the levels of immigration
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Immigration is only an axiom in your imagination.......
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I took SLWO's comment as being opposed to freedom of movement whilst pro controlled immigration.

They aren't mutually exclusive, which is unfortunately a detail a lot of people forget when discussing such topics.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:44 am.

Alternatively, only one survives and picks up all 250 covers.
With less staff than the three combined. Costs then continue to increase hitting demand and 250 covers becomes 175. Welcome to next year.

Supply side recession is great for workers until they start losing their jobs because lack of supply causes higher prices which then reduces demand.

I'd say we are about to hit demand recession and things are going to get nasty in the services space. I hope they all saved up the few £s Brexit windfall they've had to date as I fear they will need it.

Slow down already hitting at my place as the banks tighten their belts.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Prob wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:02 pm You are saying you are for and against immigration in the same breath. You can't plan for the numbers regardless if you have freedom of movement or not. Sadly what many political and talking heads lie to the public about is immigration. The only real way this country will see any economic growth now is to increase the levels of immigration
No I'm not. I'm against 30m people having the right to up sticks and move here if the mood takes them.

If you have a limit on numbers you can plan better. Even if the limit is flexible to a degree you can plan better. Whether anyone would plan is a different issue.

What happens to the countries people immigrate from to deliver us this boom?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The forecast peak for unemployment is only 4.9%. The graphic below covering a period of 50 years gives an idea of just how good that is.

MB

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:22 pm The forecast peak for unemployment is only 4.9%. The graphic below covering a period of 50 years gives an idea of just how good that is.
The % is irrelevant if those working aren't enough to make the economy grow. The absolute number in productive employment is the key not the % not working.

We have, for example, an aging population who are not in that % once they hit a certain age.

So low % unemployment and most people still end up poorer. We are a dying country in economic terms if we are not careful.
chelmsfordhammer91

Depending on where you look for statistics, I read somewhere yesterday that around 600-700k people have "taken themselves out of employment", so don't contribute to unemployment figures.

No idea how they afford it though.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 pm Depending on where you look for statistics, I read somewhere yesterday that around 600-700k people have "taken themselves out of employment", so don't contribute to unemployment figures.

No idea how they afford it though.
They count as economically inactive.

This can be students, housewives/husbands, sick, disabled, carers or people who have retired early or who have independent means who do not need engage with the labour market.

Pensioners and school children aren't included.

Simply adjusting policies around student numbers and the pension age redefines the size of the overall numbers. Upward revision of the pension age - pretty much an inevitability - adds something like 800,000 per additional year up to 70.

The government could also consider changes in social policy to return the fertility ratio in this country to 2.1 (the replenishment rate) by dramatically rethinking family support systems.
MB

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:31 pm The government could also consider changes in social policy to return the fertility ratio in this country to 2.1 (the replenishment rate) by dramatically rethinking family support systems.
I wanted to reply but all I could come up with is :crylol:
chelmsfordhammer91

Boris was trying his best to get the number up though.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:03 pm I wanted to reply but all I could come up with is
Well, how long do you think it would take this society (the UK, you could perhaps say western Europe) to topple over if that isn't achieved?

Go on, think about it.

You've spent god knows how long pissing your drawers about the "need" for immigration.
MB

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:30 pm Well, how long do you think it would take this society (the UK, you could perhaps say western Europe) to topple over if that isn't achieved?

Go on, think about it.

You've spent god knows how long pissing your drawers about the need for immigration.
I’ll be dead, my kids will be dead so honestly I don’t care. Japan etc has been like that for ages. China heading that way. Global population is going to massively decline by 2050. We need to radically rethink not head back to the 1950s

But nice I touched a nerve :rofl:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 pm I’ll be dead, my kids will be dead so honestly I don’t care. Japan etc has been like that for ages. China heading that way. Global population is going to massively decline by 2050. We need to radically rethink not head back to the 1950s
There will be an extra 2-3bn people in this world within 60 years and the pattern of demographic change is inevitably going to change the world. The west is going to look like an increasingly unusual, idiosyncratic and vulnerable commune to many of the growing parts of the world as they extend their reach and power. The language and behaviour reflecting this is already there.

It's fairly clear that our society - or at least the current social welfare model - is already collapsing. It's only going to accelerate.

You will see it and live it. So will your children.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Are you saying the answer to the worlds population increasing is to increase the population?
MB

Post by MB »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am Are you saying the answer to the worlds population increasing is to increase the population?
Seems to be and given where those arguments tend to go i think it is time to bow out of this thread again!
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am Are you saying the answer to the worlds population increasing is to increase the population?
No.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:47 pmNo.
Good. It certainly appeared that way.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Not sure how.

Replenishment does not equal increase, the Uk does not equal the world.

As a matter of interest, the Chinese and Japanese are already trying it because they can see where their societies will end up if they don't.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

What's replenishment?