Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Essexmaniac »

It's the hard faced not backing down approach though that has caused the extra problems. The same kind of bloody mindedness that many will be reluctant to admit all this is a mistake and they were conned.
There will be plenty of people stuck in queues at border points at docks and airports who are unhappy and realise why. Too stubborn to speak of the self inflicting wound.

Things will get smoothed out to some extent. They have too for economic reasons. It's now all about who and how things are improved slightly and gradually.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

I'd forgotten about the fact that Eurostar are running services with empty seats due to the required extra checks we imposed.

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 am It's the hard faced not backing down approach though that has caused the extra problems. The same kind of bloody mindedness that many will be reluctant to admit all this is a mistake and they were conned.
There will be plenty of people stuck in queues at border points at docks and airports who are unhappy and realise why. Too stubborn to speak of the self inflicting wound.
Lol ok. For all the misquotes and out of context snippets people like to point to, I don't think many people feel conned do they. I haven't asked TBF so they may do. I assume it's comforting for people to think those that disagree with them must be stupid or gullible, didn't put the thought into it as much as those that voted to remain. Most people are getting on with things, adjusting to the norm and hoping politicians on both sides of the channel can stop grandstanding and find a way to do what's best without accidentally starting a war.

You've no real need to worry there is an election in a year or so. The lib Dems can sweep to power on a rejoin mandate.

On delays, the why is a number of reasons. If it's all about being out why were there delays when we were in? Adding a possible delay to a list of dozens of possible delays and then implying it's the sole reason does feel like a con, see I can spot them lol.
sword
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:30 am Most people are getting on with things, adjusting to the norm and hoping politicians on both sides of the channel can stop grandstanding and find a way to do what's best
You haven't asked, but I make you right. I don't feel conned, and it's pretty much played out generally as I imagined it would.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:30 pm Thinking about it... Brussels Midi and Amsterdam also do the double passport check for Eurostar. Must be a land thing. I've never seen it at an airport.

Perhaps the airline checking your passport before boarding is deemed sufficient?
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Aside from US pre-clearance in places like Canada, Dublin, Shannon, Abu Dhabi and a couple of places is the Caribbean, virtually all inbound passport control is done at the point of arrival in aviation. A lot of countries do outbound passport control but the UK, Ireland and US don't. Advance Passenger Information that the airline has is sufficient and goes to the immigration authorities so they know you've left.

The Le Touquet agreement that puts French border control at UK points and vice versa was set up to reduce bottlenecks at either side of the port channel due to the sheer volume of movement between the two countries (read Belgian and Dutch for Brussels and Amsterdam). Checks all being on departure meant that the exit points from the port were always clear and from a practical point of view you're not backing vehicles/people up onto a confined space (ship, train, port secure area) if there's problems and that if someone isn't allowed into the other country they're stopped before they leave the origin countries soil.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

dave_l wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:38 am Aside from US pre-clearance in places like Canada, Dublin, Shannon, Abu Dhabi and a couple of places is the Caribbean, virtually all inbound passport control is done at the point of arrival in aviation. A lot of countries do outbound passport control but the UK, Ireland and US don't. Advance Passenger Information that the airline has is sufficient and goes to the immigration authorities so they know you've left.

The Le Touquet agreement that puts French border control at UK points and vice versa was set up to reduce bottlenecks at either side of the port channel due to the sheer volume of movement between the two countries (read Belgian and Dutch for Brussels and Amsterdam). Checks all being on departure meant that the exit points from the port were always clear and from a practical point of view you're not backing vehicles/people up onto a confined space (ship, train, port secure area) if there's problems and that if someone isn't allowed into the other country they're stopped before they leave the origin countries soil.
All makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. So I guess unless the UK wants to go back to people being cleared for entry to France / Netherlands / Belgium at the point of entry then these checks will continue and now they are out of the EU they'll be treated like any other 3rd country and have stricter passport checks. Or they could negotiate a solution...
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

To be fair on that front we've always had to go through passport control when exiting the Schengen zone. That's the same for anyone outside of the agreement even when we were in the EU - Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Ireland are also outside despite being EU members so need to go through the same process.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

A few thoughts on this thread from Lord ( help us) Frost.

The unelected bureaucrat now tells us ' let's be honest', bit late for that.
If you are not in the EU you are a third world country and thus treated/ worded as.
He accepts the need to build extra infrastructure to help deal with the delays.
Accepts we still had checks as we were outside the Schengen Area but not that additionally passports need extra scrutiny and stamps now that add time and delays.
After all the hard line talk he now accepts further negotiations are required to help ease and smooth out issues now and in the future
He negotiated it but still blames everyone but himself.
At least he accepts ( like the latest No.10 line that the Dover delays are in some part due to Brexit. Unlike Braverman and other ministers at the weekend.

Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Plans set to be revealed to fast track freight to ease delay chaos at ports.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/uk-go ... rticle-top
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Prob wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:59 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 29008.html

The benefits of brexit?
You found one? :scarfer:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

“Brexit has failed"

- Nigel Farage, chief salesman of Brexit, on BBC Newsnight.

Isn't he supposed to emigrate now?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Prob wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:59 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 29008.html

The benefits of brexit?
Even the most ardent remain voter isnt going to pin all the issues in hospitality on brexit are they?

How many articles have there been about utility prices, food prices, train strikes, lack of disposable income, rent increases etc etc? But no it's probably all brexit.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Junco Partner wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:26 am “Brexit has failed"

- Nigel Farage, chief salesman of Brexit, on BBC Newsnight.

Isn't he supposed to emigrate now?
And blaming "useless" Tory politicians for its failure. At least he has acknowledged it for what it is though. That's a start.

As an aside, I wonder if he's thinking about another come-back. That would give Sunak the heebie-jeebies.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Meanwhile:-

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/money/other/c ... r-AA1biuQT

I mean, its only Vauxhall, Citroen, Peugeot and Fiat so don't panic :winker:
SammyLeeWasOffside

OFT wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 am Meanwhile:-

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/money/other/c ... r-AA1biuQT

I mean, its only Vauxhall, Citroen, Peugeot and Fiat so don't panic :winker:
Been reading this quick Google couldn't answer so hopefully the infinite knowledge of kumb wil prevail.

From next year do 45% of a car built in the EU have to be made in the EU or is it just non-member states?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:50 am Been reading this quick Google couldn't answer so hopefully the infinite knowledge of kumb wil prevail.

From next year do 45% of a car built in the EU have to be made in the EU or is it just non-member states?
I don't understand your question.

45% of the value of an electric vehicle needs to originate from within the EU or (I believe the vehicle) is subject to a 10% tariff.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:06 am I don't understand your question.

45% of the value of an electric vehicle needs to originate from within the EU or (I believe the vehicle) is subject to a 10% tariff.
Is that from within the UK and Europe E.C.? From what I've read it's both(I think). Edit Until 2025
Is this also connected to the collapse of Britishvolt where the batteries were going to be made?
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:06 am I don't understand your question.

Is that true from cars manufactured in Germany for instance?

Am asking it the rule is universal or only applies to countries outside the EU. I'm just wondering how shifting production to the EU creates a massive benefit in this case.

Vauxhall could presumably buy parts from the EU (so a move saves money on transport/logistics) but they haven't done that to now presumably due to cost. Are they now saying the tariff is now more than that extra cost? There must be a price point where savings on parts from China outweigh the tariff, if they move factory and that happens they are equally screwed.

Presumably they will need to build substantive manufacturing plants (as opposed to just assembly lines) to get round rules of origin. We have a reciprocal agreement so they could do that here and the goods would be classed as EU for rules of origin purposes.