Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:22 am Is that true from cars manufactured in Germany for instance?

Am asking it the rule is universal or only applies to countries outside the EU. I'm just wondering how shifting production to the EU creates a massive benefit in this case.

Vauxhall could presumably buy parts from the EU (so a move saves money on transport/logistics) but they haven't done that to now presumably due to cost. Are they now saying the tariff is now more than that extra cost? There must be a price point where savings on parts from China outweigh the tariff, if they move factory and that happens they are equally screwed.

Presumably they will need to build substantive manufacturing plants (as opposed to just assembly lines) to get round rules of origin. We have a reciprocal agreement so they could do that here and the goods would be classed as EU for rules of origin purposes.
Yes it applies within the EU as far as I can tell.

There will indeed be a price point where paying the tariff is a better choice than manufacturing in the EU.

Everyone needs to build EV manufacturing facilities. Having them in the EU is, from the EU's perspective, a much better option than having them here. They are incentivising that production and also investment by doing this. Whatever reciprocal arrangement we have appears to end in 2024, or there wouldn't be all the noise.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1091 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:35 am Yes it applies within the EU as far as I can tell.

There will indeed be a price point where paying the tariff is a better choice than manufacturing in the EU.

Everyone needs to build EV manufacturing facilities. Having them in the EU is, from the EU's perspective, a much better option than having them here. They are incentivising that production and also investment by doing this. Whatever reciprocal arrangement we have appears to end in 2024, or there wouldn't be all the noise.
The Trade and Cooperation Agreement contains provisions allowing the UK and the EU to cumulate origin. This means materials originating from the:

EU (as well as production carried out within the EU on non-originating materials) may be considered as originating in the UK
UK (as well as production carried out within the UK on non-originating materials) may be considered as originating in the EU
Thats not time limited as far as I can see.

I imagine the problem is the plants in, say, Ellesmere port are assembly rather than manufacturing. Presumably this doesn't change the origin enough, if the same rules apply in the EU though it won't change them enough there either. I get the tariff thing but that aside I don't get how a vauxhall assembly plant in france meets the rules any more than one in liverpool. Stuff would still have to actually be manufactured
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:49 am Thats not time limited as far as I can see.

I imagine the problem is the plants in, say, Ellesmere port are assembly rather than manufacturing. Presumably this doesn't change the origin enough, if the same rules apply in the EU though it won't change them enough there either. I get the tariff thing but that aside I don't get how a vauxhall assembly plant in france meets the rules any more than one in liverpool. Stuff would still have to actually be manufactured
Maybe you are right, but the industry seems to think otherwise.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Not a customs expert (we have a team for that) but I think it is as simple as if I have my factory in Germany then I can move the goods anywhere in the EU tariff free and it is only the UK sales which would be caught by the tariff.

For the UK it would be the reverse so local sales fine but any EU sales will be caught. So the rules apply both ways, it is just the balance of sales.

Both suffer though vs say an Asian manufacturer who sources local so cheaper costs so then the tariff doesn't matter as much.

This one should get solved for that reason.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 am Maybe you are right, but the industry seems to think otherwise.
Do they actually though or are they after some nissanesque break or other? There is a lot of if/but/maybe in the article. Maybe they are going anyway and need some cover.

TBH this is the sort of thing we should be/have been sticking money into for decades now. In a few years time every EV battery in a car sold in Europe will have to be manufactured in Europe, if we have the reciprocal agreement in place then lets start building some factories. Stop spending all the money on fingers in dams and build some new dams.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:18 am Do they actually though or are they after some nissanesque break or other? There is a lot of if/but/maybe in the article. Maybe they are going anyway and need some cover.

TBH this is the sort of thing we should be/have been sticking money into for decades now. In a few years time every EV battery in a car sold in Europe will have to be manufactured in Europe, if we have the reciprocal agreement in place then lets start building some factories. Stop spending all the money on fingers in dams and build some new dams.
I don't know.

If you want investment in stuff then try creating a stable environment in which to do business, instead of a **** show.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

More Brexit red- tape. Never an issue before.

https://www.hortweek.com/nursery-pulls- ... le/1822730
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

As warned during the pre- referendum debates.
Thousands of job losses could still have been avoided though with a softer exit.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Cornelius Beal wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:34 am More Brexit red- tape. Never an issue before.

https://www.hortweek.com/nursery-pulls- ... le/1822730
A new requirement brought in by the EU years after we left.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 pm A new requirement brought in by the EU years after we left.
I can't read the article but CITES regulations are global. The company are complaining about DEFRA, who fall outside of the EU's control.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:09 pm I can't read the article but CITES regulations are global. The company are complaining about DEFRA, who fall outside of the EU's control.
Some of our plants are so rare in the wild, they fall under CITES, which is a worldwide organisation to ensure trade in rare animals and plants is restricted and this rare fauna and flora protected. Everywhere in the world you need an export license to be allowed to trade in these animals/plants. The EU have implemented an extra safeguard, the only trading block to have done so, requiring an import license as well.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Rishi Sunak cites cheap beer as a benefit of Brexit. Has he actually seen the price of beer?
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 pm A new requirement brought in by the EU years after we left.
CITES is a worldwide treaty that came into being in 1975.
SammyLeeWasOffside

York Ham(mer) wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:44 pm CITES is a worldwide treaty that came into being in 1975.
I'm aware of that. The article wasn't about cites as I posted above.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1873 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Why do I keep seeing stuff online about "Brexit failing"? Brexit has absolutely achieved its goal, which was the further enrichment of Jacob Rees-Mogg.
kenthammer
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 403 likes

Post by kenthammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:02 pm Rishi Sunak cites cheap beer as a benefit of Brexit. Has he actually seen the price of beer?
Probably is cheap in the subsidised Westminster bar
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

kenthammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:48 am Probably is cheap in the subsidised Westminster bar
Or your other half is a billionaire.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Rishi Sunak is begging the EU to delay rules that came into force because Brexit in an attempt to save the British car industry.
SammyLeeWasOffside

German auto industry begging as well so it will probably happen
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:21 pm German auto industry begging as well so it will probably happen
Because Brexit?