Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:10 pm Because Brexit?
Competitive advantage to Asian manufacturers is what they said. Tariffs cut both ways
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

“Brexit has failed" - Nigel Farage on BBC Newsnight.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

The Government propose to introduce border controls on the imports of cheese from the EU because Brexit. Hard cheese, folks!

Cheese ‘blockade’ warning amid plans to enforce vet checks on EU imports. Cold Chain Federation head calls for Government rethink on Brexit controls, warning of shortages, less consumer choice and higher prices (Daily Telegraph)
SammyLeeWasOffside

It's not before time tbh. The EU have been taking the piss with UK exports for a while. Once we start doing it their producers will also complain (as our have) and something might get done to sort it.

The big issue in it is that it's taken so long for us to put something in place. Another example of being completely unprepared for what should happen if the vote was to leave.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:26 pm It's not before time tbh. The EU have been taking the piss with UK exports for a while. Once we start doing it their producers will also complain (as our have) and something might get done to sort it.

The big issue in it is that it's taken so long for us to put something in place. Another example of being completely unprepared for what should happen if the vote was to leave.
How are the EU taking the piss? It is up to us if we want to enforce checks or not.

What are you looking to sort? Geniuses voted for trade barriers, here they are, enjoy them.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:41 pm How are the EU taking the piss? It is up to us if we want to enforce checks or not.

What are you looking to sort? Geniuses voted for trade barriers, here they are, enjoy them.
According to the farms unions the EU check 1% of meat imports from countries such as new Zealand and 30% from the UK.

I'm not looking to sort anything. The barriers have been in place for our exports since we left. Our farmers have complained to deaf ears. Once our barriers hit EU producers they will also complain and something might change.

It's the same as the car thing. Once German manufacturers pressure the EU something will change. We left, it's not our place to tell the EU what to do.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:22 pm According to the farms unions the EU check 1% of meat imports from countries such as new Zealand and 30% from the UK.

I'm not looking to sort anything. The barriers have been in place for our exports since we left. Our farmers have complained to deaf ears. Once our barriers hit EU producers they will also complain and something might change.

It's the same as the car thing. Once German manufacturers pressure the EU something will change. We left, it's not our place to tell the EU what to do.
Unfortunately this approach isn’t always going to work, as almost always we will be a smaller export market for the EU than they are for us due to our disproportionate sizes. So sometimes you might sort it, others you might just have to enjoy those delicious trade barriers.

Putting ourselves in a situation where we lack leverage was idiotic.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

"Britain is legally bound to introduce checks on EU goods under both the terms of the Brexit trade deal and World Trade Organisation rules."
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:49 pm “Brexit has failed" - Nigel Farage on BBC Newsnight.
Better reverse it then, Nige..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

As a Remainer is there somewhere I can put in a claim for being mis-sold Brexit ?

A kinda Brexit PPI ?

Somebody somewhere will bring a case for it soon I'm sure -
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:22 pm According to the farms unions the EU check 1% of meat imports from countries such as new Zealand and 30% from the UK.

As Johnson was told by the Italian economic minister about 5 years ago EU producers have 26 other countries they can increase their exports to if the U.K. put up trade barriers. What are the U.K.s options apart from trying to sell more to further afield than the EU.
SammyLeeWasOffside

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:53 am As Johnson was told by the Italian economic minister about 5 years ago EU producers have 26 other countries they can increase their exports to if the U.K. put up trade barriers. What are the U.K.s options apart from trying to sell more to further afield than the EU.
As I said they weren't prepared. However is does feel there is definitely a political element at play in some of the inconvenience. Is our meat inherently more risky than other 3rd country imports?

The arsing about bits will hopefully get sorted once it's EU producers getting arsed about. It's frankly pathetic that the world works on this sort of childish level so often.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Just *9% of people* agree with the government that Brexit has been a success, while 62% believe it has failed.

The Old Man of Storr

Well , I managed to take back control .

I'm one of the 9% .
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:39 pm Well , I managed to take back control .

I'm one of the 9% .
A very low minority, similar to the number who even saw it as an issue pre- 2016.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Public support for Brexit continues to collapse.

The Old Man of Storr

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:14 pm A very low minority, similar to the number who even saw it as an issue pre- 2016.
I do hope you realise I wasn't being serious - some of my jokes are only funny inside my head [ as my wife continues to remind me ] .

I did take back control though - I'd lost all control , but now I have it back .

I put it in a box in case I lost it again .
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

SammyLeeWasOffside

So basically the Intel deal

Ernst and youngs annual report on 2022
France stays in the top spot for the fourth year running with 1,259 projects, a 3% increase. This is followed by the UK with 929 projects, down 6% on the previous year, and Germany fairly steady at 832 projects, a 1% drop. However, within these project numbers, there are substantive differences in job creation. For example, the projects in the UK created 46,779 jobs compared with France’s 38,102.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

A (non) benefit of Brexit: "Between December 2019 and March 2023 food prices rose by almost 25 percentage points. Our analysis suggests that in the absence of Brexit this figure would be 8 percentage points (30%) lower."