Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4400 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 pm :newthumb:
I find myself in complete agreement with you again Dave.

In rudimentary terms, it's a shitshow , always had the potential to be and IMO will continue to be long after most on here won't be around to care.
My grandchildren however......... :(
(Removed - shouldn't have done it, apologies OFT)

How on earth do some of you who claim to be left wing consider rocketing wages, record payrolls and record job opportunities to be a 'shitshow'?
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFT
Has liked: 3236 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:05 pm :crylol:
Really??
bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:05 pm How on earth do some of you who claim to be left wing consider rocketing wages, record payrolls and record job opportunities to be a 'shitshow'?
I don't know anyone who has better working conditions, income, and opportunity to move to a better job.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 pm Really??
Yes.
OFT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 pm I don't know anyone who has better working conditions, income, and opportunity to move to a better job.
Surely you're aware of this kind of thing?- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-58409277

I'm regularly having to negotiate higher fees/wages to secure staff/suppliers - and this is for people who have been paid as low as possible for as long as possible by employers. They can pick and choose where they work now, who they work for etc whereas before they were almost always in a beggars-can't-be-choosers situation. They are able to jump from one job to another at the drop of a hat because there is so much demand.
OFT

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:36 pm
Edit removed Thought better of it.
Last edited by OFT on Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm ..
Explain.

I'm genuinely interested.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFT

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm Explain.

I'm genuinely interested.
It was anger Bubbs and sadly I didn't get it edited before you saw it,
The CRYlol thing grinds my gears when applied as response to others serious opinion.
Apologies
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:46 pm It was anger Bubbs and sadly I didn't get it edited before you saw it,
Apologies
No probs, OFT - I've done it too many times to remember. Apologies from me also - I shouldn't have done it :)

I appreciate that many don't agree with me, but I genuinely see improvements for people I encounter and rising wages for the lower paid was one of my biggest motivations for my vote back in the day.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

How on earth do some of you yellow running dog lackeys of imperialism not see that higher wages are totally unsustainable while our trade deficit grows.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trad ... -g9fnsbcsq

Still, I'm glad to see some sudden interest in the little people, even if it is just clutching at straws.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1230 likes

Post by Tenbury »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I appreciate that many don't agree with me, but I see improvements for people I encounter and rising wages for the lower paid was one of my biggest motivations for my vote back in the day.
Well the poorest in work have just lost a grand a year. I don't fall into that bracket anymore (retired) but they, like me, have also to somehow pay for fast rising food prices, and huge increases in gas/electric.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:13 pm How on earth do some of you yellow running dog lackeys of imperialism not see that higher wages are totally unsustainable while our trade deficit grows.
Deficit with EU 2016 - £96bn
Deficit with EU 2019 - £99bn
Deficit with EU 2021 (ytd - 9 months) - £51bn

Demonstrably better than within the EU.

Clearly, you must approve.

Oh, what has the bigger value - total UK/US steel trade or Chelsea's annual turnover ???
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:32 pm Well the poorest in work have just lost a grand a year. I don't fall into that bracket anymore (retired) but they, like me, have also to somehow pay for fast rising food prices, and huge increases in gas/electric.
One thing they should deliver from Brexit, no question, is the abolition of VAT on the costs of fuel.

It's poor that they haven't already done it and they should get on with it. They can't hide behind being tied to EU rules on that any more.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

The current inflation has been caused by lockdown, and increased money printing. Shutting production World wide would do that.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:58 pmThe need for them to comply with our requirements, apply for licences and then wait upon our permissions pretty much proves that we do indeed have control that we had previously forfeited....
Lost free & easy access to your biggest market for the 'prize' of asking the French to fill few forms in before they fish as much as they want exactly where they fished before.

There's a reason why Farage and Johnson couldn't go within 5 miles of a fishing port now, they'd get lynched. Totally screwed over.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

666 hammer wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:19 pm The current inflation has been caused by lockdown, and increased money printing. Shutting production World wide would do that.
The current inflation is being caused by 2 things.

1) Spiralling energy costs

2) Spiralling transport costs - fuel and price of 2nd hand cars.

Brexit is largely responsible for the 2nd hand car costs, and is a a significant factor in the energy & fuel costs.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:03 pm The current inflation is being caused by 2 things.

1) Spiralling energy costs

2) Spiralling transport costs - fuel and price of 2nd hand cars.

Brexit is largely responsible for the 2nd hand car costs, and is a a significant factor in the energy & fuel costs.
I thought it was lack of microchips, which meant no one could make new cars, so second hand prices were being driven up? Didn't realise brexit had stopped chip making..
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Not just the chips....all the parts, all the bolts, all the tech, all the raw materials and even a completed car all suffer with an increase in paperwork and checks at ports because of our departure from the Customs Union.

Also the new cars and vans assembled in the UK contain a large number of components imported from the EU, the new bureaucracy drives up cost & chokes supply which then causes demand to be transferred into the used car market. Supply & demand innit, 2nd hand prices rocket.

Coronavirus outbreak and semiconductor shortage play a role, as does the generally lower value of the pound since.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-li ... ent=europe

Worse than a few, better than others.....
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:58 pm One thing they should deliver from Brexit, no question, is the abolition of VAT on the costs of fuel.

It's poor that they haven't already done it and they should get on with it. They can't hide behind being tied to EU rules on that any more.
VAT on domestic fuel is 5% so if you are paying £1200 a year then you’ll save £60. That £60 x 30 million households costs the government £1.8b and most of those saving that £60 aren’t your target market.

The VAT system needs complete reform (a credit system for low earners would be my preference) not gesture politics.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm Not just the chips....all the parts, all the bolts, all the tech, all the raw materials and even a completed car all suffer with an increase in paperwork and checks at ports because of our departure from the Customs Union.

Also the new cars and vans assembled in the UK contain a large number of components imported from the EU, the new bureaucracy drives up cost & chokes supply which then causes demand to be transferred into the used car market. Supply & demand innit, 2nd hand prices rocket.

Coronavirus outbreak and semiconductor shortage play a role, as does the generally lower value of the pound since.
So what about the 18 month waiting lists for Audi, Merc, BMW, and other brands that are built in the EU because they cannot complete builds due to the world-wide semi-conductor shortage? That's without including non-EU built cars also suffering horrendous delays in manufacturing and delivery that has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

The second hand car market exploding how it is is solely down to the semi-conductor shortage and world-wide supply chain issues - which are nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. if you're going to use something to bash Brexit with, at least use something that hasn't been caused by Brexit.

As luck would have it, British car factories are operating at a higher percentage of out-put compared to normal times than our counterparts on the continent.

Source: SMMT.