Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Essexmaniac »

Bringing the King into things appears to be another huge roll of the Rishi dice.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:32 am Bringing the King into things appears to be another huge roll of the Rishi dice.
I read that as rice dish.. :crylol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

It's still funny to me that it was Brexit that limited our control over soverign parts of our nations, and we're now going cap in hand to the EU to regain that control.

Still, blue passports.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Am I alone in not really understanding the fuss about Von der Leyen potentially (and now definitely) meeting the head of state? If nobody had commented on what they thought it means and I just saw "VdL to meet King" I'd assume it was just a nicety for a very senior diplomat.

Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:55 am Am I alone in not really understanding the fuss about Von der Leyen potentially (and now definitely) meeting the head of state? If nobody had commented on what they thought it means and I just saw "VdL to meet King" I'd assume it was just a nicety for a very senior diplomat.

The noise from DUP was they don't want the King to mix in politics. Charlie himself said he would not get involved in political matters in the way he has in the past.
Not sure if Sunak's advisors felt getting him involved would appease the ultra royalist loyalists?
Controversial and a big gamble.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:18 am Plus Steve Baker is rumoured to be on resignation watch, so that could spark more exits and problems for Sunak. Problems which he will have calculated for, for the greater cause you'd hope.
I think you can cross him off the resignation list.

Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

⏫

I was already surprised by Baker's general more accomodating exchanges since he took on his current role.
He has really changed.
Big George

Post by Big George »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:37 pm ⏫

I was already surprised by Baker's general more accomodating exchanges since he took on his current role.
He has really changed.
I think the Tory opposition will be limted to bitter Truss/Johnson supporters, 20 tops.

The DUP, I suspect, will do anything to avoid returning to Stormont under a Sinn Fein first minister
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:04 pm I think the Tory opposition will be limted to bitter Truss/Johnson supporters, 20 tops.

The DUP, I suspect, will do anything to avoid returning to Stormont under a Sinn Fein first minister
The DUP will do anything to continue to incite hatred and division in Ireland. They are Neanderthals.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:04 pm The DUP, I suspect, will do anything to avoid returning to Stormont under a Sinn Fein first minister
Wondering what you base that on Big George. Any evidence or statements you can point to to back it up?
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

:winker:
Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:25 pm Wondering what you base that on Big George. Any evidence or statements you can point to to back it up?
NO. NEVER :winker:
Big George

Post by Big George »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:25 pm Wondering what you base that on Big George. Any evidence or statements you can point to to back it up?
They were in Stormont for 2 years under the protocol when Arlene Foster and Paul Givan but as soon as they lost the elction they pulled out.

Nothing would make me happier to be proved wrong.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

They always claim they must have full alliance with GB.
Yet stand by different rules in NI for abortion, gay rights etc ...
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:13 pm They were in Stormont for 2 years under the protocol when Arlene Foster and Paul Givan but as soon as they lost the elction they pulled out.

Nothing would make me happier to be proved wrong.
So no official statements, policy or evidence then. Just a hunch.

The Executive muddled through under intense pressure from the signing of the protocol to it's implementation but once the full scale of it's severing the Union became apparent in practice, remember the Johnson government were claiming there was no border in the Irish Sea for ages afterwards, it became impossible to continue.

Truth is it's a Joint Office, one can barely order a packet of post-its without the others agreement, and from 2007 to 2017, when SF pulled the pin, the DUP shared power with Sinn Fein who referred to it as the 'Joint Office of First and Deputy Minister'.

Just curios, when Sinn Fein collapsed the Executive for three years was that because they didn't want to serve under a 'Hun'?

Or does that logic only apply to one side? :chin:

I know the DUP are easy targets and have done a lot of damage to the overall unionist cause but sometimes they are as big as victims of prejudice and blind bigotry as anyone else.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Is it too early to tell if the deal's any good? Or is it a case that anything must be better than the oven ready whatsit?

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-and-eu-ag ... e-12820788
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:25 pm So no official statements, policy or evidence then. Just a hunch.

Just curios, when Sinn Fein collapsed the Executive for three years was that because they didn't want to serve under a 'Hun'?

Or does that logic only apply to one side? :chin:

I know the DUP are easy targets and have done a lot of damage to the overall unionist cause but sometimes they are as big as victims of prejudice and blind bigotry as anyone else.
You know that wasn't, it was because Philips refused to stand down temporarily to facilitate an investigation into her handling of the ill-fated Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme.

DUP victims of bigotry ?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^and the KKK were just misunderstood
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I was food shopping here in Switzerland at the weekend and the supermarket was just as well stocked as usual. Not in the EU and just as impacted by bad weather in Spain, but easier customs procedures means obtaining fresh produce is never an issue
Big George

Post by Big George »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:25 pm So no official statements, policy or evidence then. Just a hunch.
An educated hunch,
Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:25 pm

We knew what the issues exactly were. Big financial scandals and the Irish language issue.
Junco Partner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:25 pm Or does that logic only apply to one side? :chin:

SF has served under Paisley, Trumble etc for 21 of the 24 years since the GF agreement and restablishment of power at Stormont.

To say I don't have any affection for SF would be an understatement, I just want to see peace in Northern Ireland because I'm old enough to remeber what it was when there wasn't. Donaldson seems more sensible than some of this colleagues, I hope he can make it work.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Whitters wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:22 pm I was food shopping here in Switzerland at the weekend and the supermarket was just as well stocked as usual. Not in the EU and just as impacted by bad weather in Spain, but easier customs procedures means obtaining fresh produce is never an issue
There you go. It's the way the Swiss roll.
Less paperwork and checks, less costs, stocks run more smoothly. It's why if we don't return to the single market, yet, Labour will seek a trade deal taken bits of the Norwegian or Swiss models.