Fallout 4

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Fallout 4

Post by 3Dicks »

I like Bethesda both as a dev and a publisher a really good stable of solid games but for me Fallout 76 seems to be heading away from what I want from a Fallout game, I'll give them a fair chance to say how solo play can work but frankly I don't want other people in my game at all, especially with the talk off nuke codes on the map which you and others can find, perhaps great if you have a reliable group of say friends you regularly play with but for me I don't play games as a social thing, its an escape I get precious little time to play and I don't want it ruined by others online.

in their press conference "we thought some time ago how great would it be if every person in the game was a real person" I'm just sat there shaking my head.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I could live with multiplayer but, for me, it has to have some elements that satisfy my single-player tendencies. Like ESO, that would mean narrative quest lines, a story arc, and NPCs. I wouldn't want something that's basically a set of Fallout themed tools and a giant empty map.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:You may have been speaking Klingon there for all I understood of that!
What are you having trouble with, my love?

TES: The Elder Scrolls
ESO: Elder Scrolls Online
IP: Intellectual Property
3Dicks wrote:in their press conference "we thought some time ago how great would it be if every person in the game was a real person" I'm just sat there shaking my head.
I lost count of how many times I said "jumped the shark" whilst watching TH's* rather self-congratulatory speech (the pinnacle being when he demanded the audience give BGS** staff a round of applause).

You and I seem to be in the minority though 3D***, from what I can see.

* Todd Howard
** Bethesda Game Studios
*** 3Dicks
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Not giving you the option to have essentially a 'lonely' singleplayer Fallout experience will be as much of a glaring error as a lack of campaign on Battlefront.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Being the massive Fallout fan that I am, I have already pre-ordered the power armour edition :D

Heard some more information about the game which I will summarise from the interview

- Around 30 odd people per map (more than enough space)
- Nuking is only an end game option
- Still will have a main quest
- No raiders (makes sense as they wouldn't exist)
- Nuked areas will recover, areas nuked will have harder enemies
- Map is 4 times the size of Fallout 4
- There will be a Beta
- Cosmetic only microtransactions (not keen but if the updates are free then I don't mind)
- You will be able to see others on the map (not keen as it ruins the Dick Turpin approach to playing but I can understand the reason as it is likely you will not see anyone)
- You can join your friend's server and keep your progress
- Whilst you can kill others, you cannot grief people (this was a worry)
- Don't lose progress when killed (would prefer it if you had the chance to drop items on death)
- VATS is still about but it doesn't slow time

Link to the No Clip interview here:-

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/1745 ... da-e3-2018

Bethesda made a mess with the Elder Scrolls Online, I suspect they will do a much better job of this and a can't wait. Already got 2 people I'm playing with on release.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Gormalysis wrote:- Around 30 odd people per map (more than enough space)
Is this 'as well as the option to roam on your own'?

Gormalysis wrote:- Whilst you can kill others, you cannot grief people (this was a worry)
Does this mean they can kill you but cannot nick all your stuff?
Gormalysis

Post by Gormalysis »

Not sure on whether you can on your own without anyone else but hopefully

Yes people can kill you but you don't lose items or progress
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Gormalysis wrote:Bethesda made a mess with the Elder Scrolls Online,
Not sure how you've reached that conclusion. Voted Best MMO for last two years, hugely popular and gaining popularity with every new release of DLC/chapter. Developed by ZOS, not Beth, btw.
Gormalysis

Post by Gormalysis »

Up the Junction wrote: Not sure how you've reached that conclusion. Voted Best MMO for last two years, hugely popular and gaining popularity with every new release of DLC/chapter. Developed by ZOS, not Beth, btw.
Should have made that more clear, I'm talking about the initial launch of ESO, which was reported to be a mess. Since then they have made changes and fixed a lot of the issues improving the game massively, I'm sure they have learnt from this and Fallout 76 will have a much stronger launch.

Isn't Bethesda part of Zenimax? Although they have said 2 studios will be keeping check of Fallout, Austin and can't remember the other.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Gormalysis wrote:Isn't Bethesda part of Zenimax? Although they have said 2 studios will be keeping check of Fallout, Austin and can't remember the other.
Same firm (Bethesda) essentially, different studios I believe.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

Up the Junction wrote:You and I seem to be in the minority though 3D***, from what I can see.
There seems to be quite a few concerned but also a lot of people have become more interested, I'm sure it will do well but I don't think this one's for me which is a shame as I have been a big fan of the series having played all previous games, even the pretty awful 'Brotherhood of steel' spin off. it seems they have stripped everything that I liked about the game being on my own in a big world picking up the pieces of a civilization meeting NPC's who have made something of a community etc for me I just don't want other people in my game as I know 99% of the time they will just shoot on sight and in their squads 'ganking' will be common place while you're just wandering about doing your own thing. as with most of these ideas they are excellent in concept if you can get a solid community playing building a nice base together and all working as a team.... sadly most of the gaming community are frankly arseholes.

however it seems Rage 2 is shaping up as a decent alternative, I just hope they can knock out some intriguing quests and locations along the way.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Ok I've bit the bullet and bought it. It's DL now - any tips for someone who last played the series whenfinished Fallout 3 about 2/3 years ago!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Radscorpions are scumbags. Steer clear. (Especially early doors.)
WHU Independent

Well, I've played it for 3 hours plus and I am mighty confused. The game hints aren't helpful and in some circumstances I don't have a scooby. My situation so far: I've been to the town and got my power armour and mini gun and killed Deathguard the dinosaur. I've made it back to the red rocket repair shop but and a bit stuck, so if someone can please answer these questions I'd be mightily obliged.

1) Power armour and mini gun. I've taken it off and assume you don't wear it all the time. What's the sp here?You go adventuring in normal gear and when you find a hard boss you go back and get it. How can I repair it - it won't let me atm. Where do I get ammo for the gun please? Can I wield other guns in power armour - if so what's best. I modified a hand gun a few times and also put a scope on a rifle but is gun modification early doors worth it? How do I zoom in with my scope please?

2) The work bench. When I can create prefabs etc what do I build first and where do I put it. Do I build it next to the red rocket so I have a workshop? Is there an order which to build stuff? Where do you put generators etc?

3) Stim packs - how do I use them on my dog - and how do I use them on myself in combat? I haven't used one to date.

4) I've got very low rad poisoning. I assume it's not worth using rad away etc until I have a substantial amount of poisoning?

Cheers in advance.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

As you start, you will be lucky to get your hands on enough fusion cores to maintain constant use of the power armour, so you can keep it stored back at the Red Rocket, mate. Obviously, you've got a rack there for repairs etc. Don't forget to refine your standard body armour.

Stow away the mini gun, too. In fact, I don't tend to bother carting that about with me at all, when on that game. It's got its uses, but not in any kind of careful combat.

All gun mods you want to be interested in, to begin with, should be barrel/receiver reinforcement; makes every gun more powerful straightaway, which is economical on the ammo, especially with the rarer stuff.

You can store stimpaks in your circular weapon select; iirc, you can then go to that faster, when in combat. Dogmeat displays an 'x to stim your pet' message, when he's almost past it and you've got a stim spare.

Wait until your about 40% radded before reaching for Radaway and, when you level up, choose one of the options that makes your chems stronger, per hit.

Love that game. Am taking my time on a re-run of 76, but still rate it (#4) as my favourite.
WHU Independent

Thanks PM!

I've got the basics down now but I am just wondering how many bases do you have to build? I'm in the process of building about 5 and i'm only level 15. I did the water pump quest and now find I can build a base where the robots are harvesting food. Do I need to build one there as getting all the necessary bits and bobs takes ages? You kno defence turrets, pumps, accommodation generators etc.

I#ve also linked my first two settlements together - The Red Rocket and Sanctuary via a settler -. Does that settler just walk between settlements and thus can't be allocated for work???
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I did the Sturges-related tasks at Sanctuary, but tended to tire fast of the campbuilding stuff, tbh.
WHU Independent

I think I have close to 10 settlements now and I'm only level 18.

Question: Do I join the brotherhood of Steel or not. I've done the initial quest, got the gun and have been asked to join but I've said I'd think about it.

The lure of power armour better tech and weapons is an attraction though.

BTW Guns. My gun are ****. I've tried to mod them but they are not coming out with decent damage. That means I am going through ammo like a aklie goes through booze. Help!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

I went with the Railroad on my sole playthrough, which involved blowing up the Prydwen.
WHU Independent

Fallout 4

I know I'm late to the party but I can't see a Fallout 4 thread.

I'm level 61, got all the expansions and have not done the main quest in the main game yet. I've got a rather overpowered but welcome NPC EVA, who can kill most stuff if I let her lose. I've sorted out the Mechanist (I've let her live), I have about 25 settlements that are all 75 + happiness and self sufficient, I've done a few cases for Nick, I'm at the stage where I must tell the BOS or the Brotherhood about the Synth hideout, I've been to Farharbour and got a few quests and I've been to NUKA world, beat the bloke in the cage fight and have to travel to see a bloke to become the NUKA boss. I also have to go to the Glowing sea to find a scientist.

Questions:

is there an order that I have to do stuff? Is it easier to do one set of missions then do the others after you haver levelled? (this is speaking as someone who can solo a Mirelock queen but I've got to have the right terrain to do soand it's very expensive Ammi wise.)

Farhabour: Do I need my Combat armour for the whole shebang of can I just dose myself up with Rad x and Radaway?

Same for the glowing sea. Combat armour needed or just Rad X and similar?

I watched a movie to see how the BOS endgame pans out and it looks long and convoluted. Are the other endgame (MM and TRR) any better?

The Mechanics lair - can it be colonised or no? Apart from making a factory that is?

mods - I don't use any but any you deem essential?

Armour - I have rank for armourer but apart from modifying Combat armour to the mark 5 (e) variant, I can't change or modify any other armour. I'm current wearing The Mechanists stuff as default. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.