Fallout 4

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

wigwig wrote:Get the Gauss gun from the lady in the Castle.
My favourite weapon in the game though I think you need to free the castle of the Mirelurks and Queen Mirelurk first.

It reminds me of the 'Cobra Assault Cannon' in the original 'Robocop' film and in the words of Clarence Boddicker, it's a "real state of the art, bang bang!"
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Problem is a lack of ammo in the late game for it, emergency use only atm.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

wigwig wrote:Problem is a lack of ammo in the late game for it, emergency use only atm.
Yep.
Gets pricey too if you need to buy it from the vendors.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Just bought this for £10.99 from CD Keys if anyone is late getting into this.

SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Yeah! I'll have that.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Finally playing Far Harbour and much prefer it to the main game. I've also finally discovered the joys of melee. This isn't usually my thing, but I think the guns are fairly unrewarding, apart from the Big Boy, which is pure insanity. One-shot Swan and Queen Mirelurk kills.
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

I've pretty much been hammering away at this game since release. Up to Level 115 now and have massive camps fully built up. I spend hours just walking the wastelands exploring. Completed everything there is to do now but still absolutely love it. Like above, I've now downloaded Far Harbour and am working my way through that. Such a brilliant game.

I've had it for 5 months and I'm still yet to pass the motor garage with the dog...
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I've had it for 5 months and I'm still yet to pass the motor garage with the dog...
You dummy. You're missing out.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Completed Far Harbor the other day.
Overall I really, really liked it. Really atmospheric and some really good characters.

I must admit though, the main storyline didn't grab me totally but I think it dead ends you a bit unless you choose to go down the Children of Atom route.

****MILD SPOILERS AHEAD****

In a nutshell, there are main groups on Far Harbor - the Humans on the pier, the Synths of Acadia and The Children of Atom at the Nucleus.

We all know these groups from the main game and for me, I've always seen the Children of Atom as a bunch of ****ing weirdos so when I went to the Nucleus, the options were pretty slim. Go through their rituals or f*** off. Well, I chose the latter. However, I '****ed off' for only about 10 seconds because once I was clear of their potential return fire, I turned around with my missile launcher and destroyed the 3 people stood guarding the main door. I then went in and wiped out the rest.

And that was it.
From there on in I was an 'Enemy of the Children of Atom' so when it came to the end, I never really got to understand what they were all about properly and when I returned to the Nucleus to complete the main story and pickoff the stragglers and then kill their main guy (Tetkus), it all felt a bit flat and procedural.

OK, I could have been more diplomatic at the start but why should I go through with induction ceremonies? It's not what I've built my character up to do. I felt a bit cheated; that it should have at least given me a chance to tour the Nucleus originally before I made up my mind to join them or not and not force rituals on me instead.

That aside, I really did enjoy it.
As I said before, it was very atmospheric and the sights and sounds of the island were beautifully done and there were a few nice twists along the way.

Stand out enemy for me was the massive Hermit crab who's back end was stuck in a van.
Stand out mission was the 'Red Death' story with The Mariner despite there being a massive bug when the mission started (screen goes all black until you get to a small island). Quite a funny little twist though when you get there.

Also picked up my new main gun in Far Habor that I have nicknamed 'The Fuckest Uppest'.
It's a Radium rifle, that after tinkering about with it on the workshop had a damage per second of well over 200. It was actually so powerful that I took out TWO fighting Deathclaws in literally 2 seconds! Same with 5 Raiders outside my Sanctuary Hills. It's the explosive damage that makes it so overpowered, It actually takes out people who aren't even hit with it but in a certain range. In the end I had to downgrade it as it was making killing far too easy!

Started Nuka World last night and so far, really enjoying it.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Pocket Pardew wrote:Like above, I've now downloaded Far Harbour and am working my way through that. Such a brilliant game.
Funnily enough it's enjoying a comeback at Chez Junction as well this week. In the same boat (arf) as you, playing through Far Harbo(u)r.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:Started Nuka World last night and so far, really enjoying it.
And finished it last night.

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Like Far Harbo(u)r, I really enjoyed it but again I found it makes you go against the ethics you built up with your character somewhat.

It was good fun and really well done and I loved the fact you have a number of different zones to visit which all felt unique in their own way with a different kind of enemy at each one. My gripe is I always like to play these games as 'the good guy' and I've spent a lot of time developing settlements; so when you're asked to lead a bunch of Raiders simply because you killed a Raider leader, it was going to be difficult to suddenly play as a b*stard leading to a potential conclusion of wiping out most, if not all your settlements with 3 sets of Raider groups (the Pack, the Operators and the Disciples).

It's worthwhile noting that you don't have to go down the route of becoming a fully fledged Raider but to get the most out of the DLC, it's best to go down that route to start with as you need to assign 5 of these zones to 3 groups once you clear them of robots, ghouls or creatures. The group you assign the least zones to will not be happy.

After I assigned the zones, a guy called 'Shank' then asks me to pick a settlement in the Commonwealth to either raid or 'politely' ask settlers to leave using one of the Raider gangs of your choice. Again, neglecting a certain gang will make them unhappy and they can apparently turn on you. So at this point I thought, sod it, I ain't doing that so I'll turn on the Raiders which meant not only killing the leaders of each gang but then going back to the Nuka World zones to finish off the small group of Raiders you sent there. It did feel in some ways like a level of double cross going as they all make overtures about how great an 'Overboss' you are but it never really suggested you had turned on them and in fairness, you could have done at any time after you're given the choice to do it by a market stall trader after you meet the gang leaders. In the end, you just go in guns blazing and kill everyone. The main outcome is that all the traders who have been enslaved at Nuka World (and fitted with exploding collars if they try to escape) are now free to do what they want so there is this positive.

Obviously, Raiders are almost in the game to be killed but it would have been great to have a GTA kind of option where you can offer clemency to the bosses and let them and the go, only for them to turn up later at a settlement after they double cross you. I thought that would have been cool.

There was no way of trying to come to arrangements with groups either.
I have not spent hours and hours building up settlements to then just put Raiders into them and there wasn't an option for me to just send them to a handful of the uninhabited settlements I have (Jamaica Plains or Egret Tours Marina for example). No - it has to send them to sites that appear to have been pre-selected to allow Raider groups to sweep through from settlement to settlement. If you're ready to throw the towel in on Fallout 4 I thought this would be a great way to end it (imagine putting Marcy and Jun Long into a Deathclaw cage or simply just blowing their moany ****ing arses up!) but I want to play on and I'm not letting a DLC change the whole way I've played the game.

Couple of other points.
If you do turn against the Raiders, make sure you have a companion with you as there are a lot of people to kill. And this leads me to my last point.

When you get there, you have the option of teaming up with a new companion - Porter Gage.
As is usual with companions, he'll stop you as you're going around and spill his guts out and he has a sad little story to tell. Once you max perk, you can obviously sack him off but I was really in two minds as to why I should kill him. I really don't think it warranted it. But could I convince him to maybe change his ways and join me in killing the Raiders? No. Could I sandman kill him? No.
So in the end, you just have to kill him in a gun fight but to be fair he does nothing but help you once you get to Nuka World and it's bad you're not even given the option of sparing him (at least I certainly wasn't).

So in summary, a really fun DLC that's well worth a pick up and keeps in line with the other DLCs and main story. Saying that, I would say that it does feel like Bethesda lifted a lot from the Batman games and it really had a 'Joker' feel to it all. Some of it totally screamed Arkham Asylum and/or Arkham City and one of the main characters in the Disciples gang really reminded me of Harley Quinn.

If like me you're into the heavy RP side - you may be disappointed with the limited options you have to try and get Nuka World and its gangs to go down several other paths rather than one or two but if you're in to Fallout, it's still a must play DLC. That and you get all the Nuka World stuff to build with afterwards!
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

So I've pretty much completed all there is to do in this game now and have rather ashamedly clocked up over 450 hours of game time since it was released. Although I haven't really played anything on the Xbox apart from this so I have my excuses.

Still loving just wandering the wastelands and finding stuff I've never see before. I try not to fast travel anymore as you miss so much by doing so.

The fallout games are just perfect for me and my style of gaming. I'm not a massive fan of online play as games either get ruined by cheaters or I find by the time I get to play online there are a thousand people modded up to the eyeballs and I will always been distinctly disadvantaged. I prefer solo play sandbox games where I can just chill out and do as I please. Fallout, GTA, Mass Effect are great for this.

Anyway, I'm going back to the wastelands for an hour or two, I have a major build planned for one of my settlements. Enjoy.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Another shout out for Far Harbour.

If there was one thing about The Commonwealth, and the missions on 'the mainland', it was that, once you'd got to a certain level, none of the battles actually proved to be that challenging.

That's all changed, in Far Harbour. Apart from the very first encounter, with the other humans of the Harbour, I haven't managed to drop any of the gulpers or anglers. Sneaking around or even running away has had to be the order of the day, because I'm on the toughest mode of play.

I was going to suggest it makes it more realistic a game, but....well you get my point.

I've just created my character, picked my SPECIAL points and have just picked up Colin (the dog) from the Red Rocket garage and headed on down to Concord.
I pretty much ignored most of the garage, as there seemed like nothing to do there, other than build stuff later in the game?

I really want to immerse myself in this game and don't want to miss too much out. So would appreciate a few pointers as a beginner to cover me for the first 4-5hrs of the game. (No Spoilers :) )

How important to the overall game is building settlements etc?
It seems like a big game of Sims within a game to me. Is it really that important to missions etc?
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
How important to the overall game is building settlements etc?
It seems like a big game of Sims within a game to me. Is it really that important to missions etc?
Not much, there's a trophy / achievement related to them I believe, but other than that they are just a way to fast-travel around the map. I didn't bother with building anything, there are a couple of missions where you have to, but that's it.

So I can enjoy the game to around 97.3% of it's full potential, without building ****?

In the past Fallouts, I think I've only ever modded a couple of weapons and used ammunition to make better ammunition and that's about it really. I've never really been interested in making a completely useless slingshot from a Carton of cigarettes and a tin of scram.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:So I can enjoy the game to around 97.3% of it's full potential, without building ****?

In the past Fallouts, I think I've only ever modded a couple of weapons and used ammunition to make better ammunition and that's about it really. I've never really been interested in making a completely useless slingshot from a Carton of cigarettes and a tin of scram.
I completed the game and most of the dlc without spending much effort on the settlements - good job too, as it isn't very intuitive - you have to do minimal stuff in the settlements to keep the residents happy (create water / food / beds etc), and you can also destroy trees / tyres / toilets etc to harvest wood / rubber / ceramic, but there's no need to do more than that.

Other people may play the game differently - I "brute forced" it by just piling up Stimpacks / food, and repeatedly healing myself in battles rather than use much stealth/tactics. You can mod weapons and armour, but you need the correct perks to be able to do so to a high level, and by the time you've levelled up that far, you've probably got most of the game beat.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Depends if you enjoy that sort of thing, I found building settlements strangely addictive. About 10 hours into the game I realised I'd spent 7 hours just doing up Sanctuary area.