UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: UFC

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that ****ing Dern vs Torres fight was the bomb as they say.

I have NEVER EVER seen the move that Dern did in the 2nd round. it was ridiculous.

even the commentators were gobsmacked.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

UFC announces return to London on July 23

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The UFC is back in London.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/4/28/2 ... on-july-23

On Thursday, the promotion announced it is making its second trip to The O2 in London on July 23, following a successful return to the U.K. this past March.

That event marked the UFC’s first event in London since the outbreak of COVID-19 and was widely hailed as one of the year’s best fight cards. In the main event, Tom Aspinall submitted Alexander Volkov and several other English fighters put on highlight-reel performances including Arnold Allen, Paddy Pimblett, and Molly McCann.

Afterwards, UFC President Dana White was effusive in his praise for the fighters who competed at the event, going as far as to reward every finish on the card with a $50,000 bonus, and he suggested that they would likely hold a second event in London this year.

:scarfer: :scarfer: :scarfer:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

There was no disguising Dana's satisfaction with that last event - he loves Brit crowds and, pre-pandemic, was always keen to bring events over here. Was vaguely expecting them to take the next one to the North somewhere - Manc, perhaps, but delighted they've got another one booked for the O2. Aspinall's fighting Blaydes, I think, as the headlining bout, which is a big test for the Brit, but probably not a "needle-mover" in the grand scheme, so the other headliners need to be strong. Paddy will get a trip up the card, and if Darren Till's fit, I'd expect him to feature, too.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

luckily enough the punches that Paddy got hit with weren't a cause for not fighting again so soon.

how about another fight for Meatball on the same card ? don't remember if she had a mandatory sit down from training etc.

Till has taken a bit of a tumble in the rankings hasn't he from his last couple of fights ?

yep, you're spot on Dan.

Dana love London

and to be fair, London love the UFC
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

UFC 274
May 7, 2022

Main Card

Charles Oliveira vs. Justin Gaethje Title Fight
Rose Namajunas vs. Carla Esparza Title Fight
Michael Chandler vs. Tony Ferguson
Mauricio Rua vs. Ovince Saint Preux
Donald Cerrone vs. Joe Lauzon

Shirley this HAS to Cerrone's last fight, I'm not even sure why he's here. cracking fighter (well crowd pleaser) in his time, and his "I'll fight anyone any time" credo was good for him, the fans and of course Dana.

main fight should be a good one, and it will be interesting to see if Namajunas can follow up her win for the title last time out. (I'm sure it was, didn't she beat Weili ?)

cracking day for me at least, a couple of decent games in the day, I think Barca play at 2.00, the Run for the Roses at around 6.00 here, over by 6.03 pm

:crylol:

then the prelims and then into the main card. 2 hour time difference for me here so I'll have to slow up on the booze early doors !!!!!!!

:crylol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well the Derby was absolutely brilliant.

now well into the early UFC card and there's been some good fights setting up the evening well.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

no spoilers in case you ain't seen it yet..

but find the end of the Chandler/Ferguson fight

O.M.G.

:shocker:

and big D.C. in absolute bits..

just announced into the Hall of Fame 2022

:newthumb:

not posted yet but announced July 6th I think...but if it's the card they flashed up...WOW !!!!!

the co main event the absolute WORST fight I've EVER seen let alone a title fight.

I think they threw a combined total of FOUR strikes in the first round..

Esparza wins.. but only because maybe she had TWO takedowns in the whole fight.

serves the champ right..it was dreadful. fans booing non stop..

title fight

WOW !!!!!!

O.M.G. x 2

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Got up to feed the little one, sat down just as Gaethje and Oliveira was about to start.

What a fight! So much happened in the first minute.

Oliveira is one tough MF!!
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Having a late night drink in a Mexican bar the other night and we're half watching UFC on telly.

Suddenly a skinny pale floppy haired bloke gets in the ring moves around casually for a couple of minutes before exploding and brutally knocking the other bloke out.

His name was Paddy Pimblett from Liverpool. Anyone know anything about him?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Shabu wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:44 pm Having a late night drink in a Mexican bar the other night and we're half watching UFC on telly.

Suddenly a skinny pale floppy haired bloke gets in the ring moves around casually for a couple of minutes before exploding and brutally knocking the other bloke out.

wasn't last night's fights.

fought a few weeks back, maybe over a month now, in London.

up and comer. next big thing etc.

he IS exciting though. and can carry a mike.

Dan will be able to break down his ability but he has taken a few moves up the ladder with that win.

was in the crowd last night. they love for their fighters to attend the fights that's for sure.

whether they pay their airfare and accommodation I have no clue, but the place always has them in abundance.

little Liverpool lass too Meatball is a bit of a fighter. was on the same 02 card as Pimblett.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/5/8/23 ... -with-fans
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:57 pm wasn't last night's fights.

fought a few weeks back, maybe over a month now, in London.

up and comer. next big thing etc.

he IS exciting though. and can carry a mike.

Dan will be able to break down his ability but he has taken a few moves up the ladder with that win.

was in the crowd last night. they love for their fighters to attend the fights that's for sure.

whether they pay their airfare and accommodation I have no clue, but the place always has them in abundance.

little Liverpool lass too Meatball is a bit of a fighter. was on the same 02 card as Pimblett.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/5/8/23 ... -with-fans
Didn't say it was last night, mate, but thanks for the info....
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Pimblett is an interesting prospect, probably too early in his UFC career to make any clear predictions but there’s quite a few concerning signs already:

1) he has a wild style in the standing exchanges that leaves him open to more technical strikers. Seems to have a decent chin but his head movement isn’t great and he leaves his head exposed a lot. When he steps up to better competition, he could be found wanting, but that’s still to be seen.

2) his weight management is notoriously poor. He eats lots of junk food outside of training camps and he puts on 20-30lb of body mass within a couple weeks of fighting. Not a good sign for anyone considering a long career (which he may not be, of course).

That said, he seems to be a strong, if not particularly technical, grappler and has good cage control when the fight hits the deck. He’s got some nice trips and judo throws but it remains to be seen if he can keep up with any of the better wrestlers in the division. If I’m honest, I don’t see him even reaching gatekeeper status, let alone contender, and think he’s more like a John Hathaway or John Maguire - fun but limited.

He’s great on the mic, though, and the fans like his style, so it’s all up to him, really. If he can join an elite training camp and listens to his coaches, he could prove me wrong.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I would like Pimblett more if he wasn't a Mickey.

I think he has "that" something about him, has huge potential and will watch him closely. He is incredibly explosive at times, but agreed his strength is on the deck.

I think he could make it to the top.

Bantamweight is my favourite presently, great set of fighters at the moment.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Shabu wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:44 pm Having a late night drink in a Mexican bar the other night and we're half watching UFC on telly.

Yeah he lets himself go between fights..

Fat f*cker!

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/5/8/23 ... -criticism

Daniel Cormier stands by everything he said during the UFC 274 strawweight title fight.

In the co-main event of UFC 274, Rose Namajunas put her belt on the line against one-time champion Carla Esparza in a rematch of the first ever UFC strawweight title fight. Unfortunately, what resulted was one of the worst fights in recent memory, with both women refusing to engage for long swaths of the fight, leaving very little for the judges to score and even less for the commentary team to discuss. As a result, Cormier, Joe Rogan, and Jon Anik spent a lot of time lamenting the lack of effort by both women, with Cormier even jokingly suggesting in the fifth round that the UFC book a third fight, to which Rogan replied “You want to see this again?” And Cormier doesn’t regret it.

“Rose and Carla are going to be pissed off at us, because we had to kind of call it like it is,” Cormier said in the post-fight press conference. “No one is above criticism and that fight was to be criticized.”

The fight was undeniably bad. Esparza and Namajunas combined for just 67 significant strikes over five rounds, with each landing at a rate below 30 percent. Fans booed loudly for portions of the fight and even started doing The Wave, in the absence of anything entertaining to watch. Ultimately, that lack of action worked out for Esparza who reclaimed the strawweight title with a split decision victory. Namajunas, of course, strongly disagreed with the result, saying she believed she won the fight but for Cormier, that only drives home the validity of his criticisms.

“Here’s the problem: if you’re Rose Namajunas, you go home and you are really disappointed because you kind of played chance with your championship, because in those first three rounds, I don’t know how anybody judged it,” Cormier said. “I don’t know how any judge — listen, Jon Anik who is literally one of the smartest people I know goes, ‘The very last scoring criteria is octagon control, which no one ever gets to.’ Tonight, that’s the only way they could have judged those first three rounds and given them to Carla.

“It’s just a game of chance I didn’t quite understand how either corner could feel confident in their advice to their athletes. It was a rough one to watch. And I think that first fight, those takedowns, really froze Rose, because on so many occasions, she’s given us tremendous performances.”

it was REALLY REALLY REALLY awful...
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I caught up with it last night Cuenca, Rose is one of my favourite women fighters, my god, what were her corner telling her!!!!! The worst "fight" I have ever seen!

Although the Chandler/Ferguson fight made up for it, wow! Not sure how he is still alive..
S-H

Post by S-H »

Toney Ferguson has certainly put his body through it, over the course of his career.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

clacton

yep really ridiculous non fight..agree what WERE the corner seeing ?

usually in a points decision the opponent has to "beat" the champ.

but I think they downgraded Rose's score because she did absolutely NOTHING to defend her title. no wanting to compete isn't justification for making sure you don't LOSE your title. Shirley she knew that she was getting the wrong advice ?

as for Ferguson, he hit the deck and never moved. Chandler did the usual up on the cage, ran around and they were STILL calling the doctors in and I honestly thought he'd leave on a stretcher. I'm actually amazed he didn't.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm amazed he still has brain function..

Oliveira - forgot to mention that fight, thought he got sort of lucky really as he was there to be taken, but fair play he survived and as SH points out, tough mo fo for sure, he is an animal when he sniffs a chance.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:25 pm I'm amazed he still has brain function..

Oliveira - forgot to mention that fight, thought he got sort of lucky really as he was there to be taken, but fair play he survived and as SH points out, tough mo fo for sure, he is an animal when he sniffs a chance.
yeah he took a few shots and I thought he was a gonna.

got a slight opening and took it right away. maybe another day, but you're spot on. he's a tough fighter to be as he just needs a slight opening to take advantage of.

Gaethje maybe got a bit too "I've got him here" I don't know, I'm not that up on that type of stuff but he seemed to "go for it" which I suppose is normal when you think you have the upper hand and the fight there to win, but Oliviera went quickly from defence to offence in the blink of an eye.

overall a pretty card except for the co-event.