UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: UFC

Post by taust68 »

UFC 263 tonight, main fight Israel Adesanya v Marvin Vettori 2, but looking more forward to Nate Diaz v Leon Edwards, also some other good fights on the card
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Sounds like Edwards was in control against Diaz apart from getting his chin tested in the 5th. Doubt this gets him a title shot though - casuals don’t like hyper technical fighters, plus he doesn’t have much charm or charisma. Needs Masvidal next IMO.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Poirier vs. McGregor 3 coming up next weekend. Who you got?
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Hard to see past Poirier winning again. I think MacGregor’s peak has passed and he doesn’t seem to be training with the same intensity any more. Decline started when Diaz beat him, but it was Khabib (and his farting around with FMJ) who knocked the confidence out of him for good. I reckon it goes much the same way as the last one, TKO to Poirier, and it won’t reach the championship rounds.
taust68

Post by taust68 »

I'm not so sure I've a feeling mcgregor will TKO poirier, he did rock him in the last fight but he didn't follow it up, I think he was done in by the calf kicks, have to see if he has made some adjustments, though you cou be right and mcgregor is just past it
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:39 am Poirier vs. McGregor 3 coming up next weekend. Who you got?
McGregor was a better fighter when he was broke and motivated. Once he made his millions he lost what made him great.

I think Poirier beats Conor then turns around and beats Oliviera.
taust68

Post by taust68 »

Also Wonderboy Thompson v Gilbert burns could potentially be a good fight, just noticed that it's pay for view
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Well, that was a bummer, wasn’t it. McGregor snapped his ankle with, like, ten seconds left of round one.
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Thoughts on some of tonight's fights:

Sean O'Malley is super accurate and a technician with his boxing but he is gonna get eaten alive by the top of the weight class. Got handed a sacrificial lamb tonight and couldn't finish him outright. Even looked confused and out of ideas when he couldn't knock the guy out. He is a different class than the guy he fought, but not the same class as someone like Yan or Sterling.

Greg Hardy getting knocked out, probable broken orbital? Couldn't happen to a nicer convicted domestic abuser. He had Tai on the ropes but made a rookie mistake by winding up the biggest, most telegraphed haymaker once he realized his opponent was dazed. Tai just crushed him when he came in loaded up. Happy for the Aussie, seems like a good bloke.

Disappointed for Wonderboy but if Burns had no problems with him then he would have been eaten alive by Usman had he got his shot. Would have like to see the co-main as a five rounder because Wonderboy finally found a bit of a rhythm in the mid 2nd. Don't think the outcome is likely to change, though.

Poirier was completely dominating McGregor before the injury. Couple decent low kicks and a meh guillotine attempt was never gonna be enough to slow down Poirier. Conor is lucky he broke his leg instead of continuing to take a beating. Only way he can save any face or raise any doubts about how that fight was gonna end. Poirier was better on his feet and dominant on the ground. DP would have probably gone with the Khabib playbook in Rd 2-5 and just ground McGregor into the mat while feeding him heavy elbows.

McGregor should consider retirement. Has won once since 2016. Now he's out at least 12 months.

Go get your belt, Poirier.
taust68

Post by taust68 »

I thought mcgregor sitting on the floor after he had just been beaten still i coming out with the **** talk was embarrassing, like you said it's time for him to retire, he's not the same fighter any more
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Very excited for the inevitable Ngannou vs Gane.

Gane just said he wanted to take a vacation after beating the pants off Lewis and the whole reason for the interim HW title was because Ngannou wanted to take a vacation.

Knowing Dana that means we'll get an interim-interim HW title match.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Listening to the Fight Disciples podcast today and they mentioned that there should be a tournament at heavyweight.

Ngannou vs Gane
Jones vs Miocic

That way everyone of the top 4 heavyweights is involved and we get potentially 3 great fights out of it.

Wouldn't even have to have those fight just a combo of them 4 fighters is enough to get my juices flowing
taust68

Post by taust68 »

Slacking student wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm Listening to the Fight Disciples podcast today and they mentioned that there should be a tournament at heavyweight.

Ngannou vs Gane
Jones vs Miocic

That way everyone of the top 4 heavyweights is involved and we get potentially 3 great fights out of it.

Wouldn't even have to have those fight just a combo of them 4 fighters is enough to get my juices flowing
Yea that sounds interesting, intrigued to see how Jones gets on at heavyweight
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

taust68 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:14 am Yea that sounds interesting, intrigued to see how Jones gets on at heavyweight
He hasn't looked nearly as dominant in his last few LHW fights. Still an all-timer, but I'm not confident adding weight will make him a better fighter.

Would be really curious to see someone at HW with the judo and wrestling skills Jones has, though. That's a skill set that's been largely lacking from the division.

Just a question of whether or not he can add significant power and keep his strong chin a division up.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Jones is an all-time cheating tosser, and all his “wins” should be overturned. Pissing hot for PEDs should be a lifetime ban in any combat sports.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

However, yes, I’ll be interested to see how he handles himself at HW.
taust68

Post by taust68 »

UFC 266 on tonight with Volkanovski v Ortega as the main fight, also on the card is Robbie Lawler v Nick Diaz, who last fought in 2004, which I'm expecting to be a stand up slug fest,
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

No surprises on that main card, TBH. I should have stuck a few quid on the winners.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Vettori vs Costa was a bit of an instant classic. Sensational power, fitness and chins on show - worth a watch if anyone missed it.
taust68

Post by taust68 »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 pm Vettori vs Costa was a bit of an instant classic. Sensational power, fitness and chins on show - worth a watch if anyone missed it.
Vettoris head must be made of concrete, how he didn't go down from those head kicks