✍ Manuel Lanzini

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: Manuel Lanzini

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I'd be happy for my 10 to have a lower pass completion if it means he is attempting more incisive and creative passes.

Hopefully will have him around for a couple more seasons yet. A good player with a penchant for goals in London games, and an international player that gets what this club is about.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I wouldn’t have offered him a new contract (if the rumours are true) but I’m also not going to grumble with him staying around.

I don’t think he offers us that much anymore imo. He’s a good asset to have against the bottom 6 and breaking teams down but I’m not sure he’s the player he was.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Manuel Lanzini (New Contract Signed)

Post by Colours never run »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:17 pm
Obviously, these numbers are open to interpretation. Maybe he's safe, maybe he's patient. Maybe he's a good judge of when to go for it.

We generally look calmer and more composed when he's on the ball. Others seem more prone to lose it.

He's all of those things. And like you say, we generally look calmer and assured on the ball when he's at the heart of it all feeding everyone the ball, it's infectious. A Player's player if you like who fully appreciate what he offers the team. Payet was another one who gave off thar air and they both used to work in tandem wonderfully when Payet was still here.

Lanzini has usually been in the 90+% passing region which tells us 1 thing, he very rarely gives the ball away and when you consider he's an attacking midfielder, those kind of regular numbers are excellent. He plays between the lines and the final third a lot and always waits patiently and considered when offloading the ball, or when he feels confident of volleying 1 in the top bin himself.

What stunted his development as a top end player was that untimely injury that really did set him back. His career trajectory was just about to take off at that point having just being included in Argentinas squad. Playing alongside his idol Messi prior to the World Cup but was cruelly snatched away from him, just as soon as he received his first call up. And the recovery was a tricky long winded process that took close to 2 seasons before he really got back to the way he used to play prior to the injury. Had he not got injured, I truly believe he would have gone on to bigger and better things because his talent deserved to rub shoulders with the big boys on a more regular basis. But it weren't meant to be and because the Club took great care of him and understanding it feels to me like he really respected the entire Club from top to toe for it. Be it from the medical staff giving him great treatment/aftercare, the Dildo Brothers paying his big wages and offering a new contract, or the fans always showing him great support, even when he weren't really playing. We all played a part and why I believe he's never been in a hurry to leave and maybe return home taking the easy option when dealing with a potentially career ending injury. And we are now reaping the benefits once again just like he used to enjoy pulling our strings from the beginning. And long may he stay playing the West Ham Way.

He's genuinely been 1 of my all time favourite Premier League players to watch with the way he plays the game. In my top 5 amongst great company like Di Canio and Payet.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Lanzini's Stats

I think he performed well last year but we don't rely on him so as long as he's happy as a squad player then all good.

His number of shots dropped significantly but this probably because of his role in Moyes team
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:40 pm Lanzini has usually been in the 90+% passing region which tells us 1 thing, he very rarely gives the ball away and when you consider he's an attacking midfielder, those kind of regular numbers are excellent. He plays between the lines and the final third a lot
I think this is where you are losing people, as I’m not sure this is true.

Lanzini quite often plays fairly deep even when Soucek and Rice are both playing, not all the time admittedly but it’s far from rare.

When the other team are under pressure and sitting deep Lanzini is invariably in front of their midfielders, whereas someone like David Silva would be floating between the lines.

This is one reason for his excellent passing rate (which is not to be sniffed at even if playing deeper), however I think you are being slightly misleading in your assessment of his play.

I’d say when Lanzini plays the position of our midfielders is closer to that of Liverpool who don’t play with a 10 but instead one DM and two CMs.
Last edited by stu1 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Mullhull wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:42 pm Lanzini's Stats

I think he performed well last year but we don't rely on him so as long as he's happy as a squad player then all good.

His number of shots dropped significantly but this probably because of his role in Moyes team

Yep, if I'm Moyes or the coaching staff, I'd be encouraging Lanzini to really take charge of situations more now his fitness is back on track after a sustained period of time. If I had 1 complaint it feels like he's being ordered to play it safe at times and although he can do that with his eyes closed, he really should be let loose to cause more havoc in tbr final third. I don't really wanna see him dropping deep like he was whilst we've got the luxury of having 2 superb DMs in midfield. He wears our No. 10 and he should really be orchestrating our play from there driving defences mad.
Colours never run

Stu - See post above I just made touching on that.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 pm Stu - See post above I just made touching on that.
It’s difficult to gauge if he’s been asked to play that way or if he’s choosing to play that way.

I guess either way the end result is that he isn’t playing as far forward as a typical number 10 which is partly why his passing is so successful, but it’s still an impressive stat nevertheless.
Colours never run

Lanzini 100% strikes me as the kind of character that does what he's told to do. I don't see Amy rebellion or arrogance in his play, or away from the football pitch. I could be wrong but I would find that hard to believe with what I've seen and heard of him. A proper Team player who respects all the coaches he has played for. Put it another way, he wouldn't be selected that often if he wasn't doing what Moyes is asking of him (See Benrahma/Moyes).

And it does also fit I'm with Moyes more conservative side to football, never quite going for it although in more recent times getting closer to it.

And I believe the stat is impressive full stop, is because I've kept track of it throughout his time here, always amazed it was in and around the 90s percent whilst mainly used in the final third and you can tell when he plays just by monitoring how he goes about his business. The only blip I noticed was understandably the period after coming back from injury. Then he wasn't quite as sure and would play nervously awaiting for someone to clatter in to him during Prem games which can occasionally be brutal. He played like it was constantly playing on his mind but in more recent times, he looks to have shrugged that feeling off and is playing as fearless as he ever did. All I ask now is for him to be plonked in the No. 10 role and to now play like one all the time. We don't need him to hare back like he so often used too for the sake of the team (another reason why I always thought he plays under orders), whilst sacrificing a lot of his further forward. We have the players now not to do that and it was really showing last season with less defensive minded duties. Now I want him to stay up the pitch as much as possible and feed us more goals.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:17 pm He does play a lot of sideways, backwards passes but his forward pass frequency per min is almost identical to Fornals in the PL.

Lanzini shuns long passing in the main but when he goes for it he has an 80+% success rate; his colleagues are generally 25-35% lower.

Obviously, these numbers are open to interpretation. Maybe he's safe, maybe he's patient. Maybe he's a good judge of when to go for it.

We generally look calmer and more composed when he's on the ball. Others seem more prone to lose it.
The numbers and the eye test support this, I think. Provides a different dimension as a ball carrier and is also the most efficient player in small spaces. Also very underrated playing against the ball.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

He’s clearly had to adapt his game, and I’m not convinced that is quite complete yet. He doesn’t have that initial burst of pace to play between the opposition defence and midfield anymore which probably means he’s not a nailed-on starter for every game, but he brings something to the squad that no other player does and that’s a really useful bit of variation for Moyes to have in his squad. there will be certain games where we simply need to be relentless to wear the opposition down and Lanzini can be really useful when you need to do that and you don’t need the security of two “DM’s”.

It will also be interesting to see how he benefits from a higher line and more possession game if that’s the way we go next season (as WLH has called out a few times). No one else is better in our squad at those short, limited space give and go passes.

You’ve also got to love his personality and clear love of the club.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I am pleased Manu is staying, sometimes his distribution isnt all that, but I really like about him. For a little un he don;t have pack a heaftey tackle on him and he don;t back away either if only Cresswell could do that.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

This is his record of goals for the club, per season

Interestingly, the most recent is domestic competitions only (he featured in 10 EL matches but didn't score last season).

Looked at another way, that's

7 goals in Bilic's best season
8 the following year.
5 in the season where it all fell apart for the coach who brought him to the club.

The 1-0-1 is Pellegrini's tenure, followed by the arrival of Moyes.

7 goals last season is 5 in the league, which included 2 penalties, and one in each domestic cup.

He's got one shy of 30 goals in just over 200 appearances. The season with 8 coincided with the highest number of league appearances (8/35).
Colours never run

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:12 pm
The 1-0-1 is Pellegrini's tenure, followed by the arrival of Moyes.

It actually coincided exactly when Lanzini got the bad knee injury in 2018 prior to the World Cup, robbing Pellegrini of using him properly. So Pellegrini never got to really enjoy seeing Lanzini in full flow like we know he can which is a big weapon to lose.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -argentina

Reminded me in some ways as when we lost Ashton, only this time Lanzini's managed to prolong his career without much of an issue now.

It's taken Lanzini almost 3 seasons to get back up to speed and we missed what he could do until last season that is. You could see during those 3 seasons working back from the injury he was timid to play like he used too but now I think he's back to what he does best over the duration of a full season again.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Vic_Watson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 pm New contract signed! Excellent news.
Really surprised by this. The suggestion for years has been he would go back to Argentina at the end of this deal.

Joint Manu & Mic testimonial in 2025 please :newthumb:
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:21 pm Really surprised by this. The suggestion for years has been he would go back to Argentina at the end of this deal.

Joint Manu & Mic testimonial in 2025 please :newthumb:
I think that’s because everyone thought he was done after his injury, but now he seems to have recovered there is no need to him to play in Argentina aged only 29!
Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Bristoliron338 »

We should let him go back to argentina on a free.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Bristoliron338 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am We should let him go back to argentina on a free.
So you can then moan that the owners didn’t spend enough money to replace him?
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Bristoliron338 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am We should let him go back to argentina on a free.
What a daft idea. Why would we let a player that arguably makes our first 11, or is at worst the first off the bench, leave for nothing?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

GetUrWangOut wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:40 am What a daft idea. Why would we let a player that arguably makes our first 11, or is at worst the first off the bench, leave for nothing?
He's a troll, don't bother.