✍ Manuel Lanzini

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: ✍ Manuel Lanzini

Post by Colours never run »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:38 pm I saw that online.... and was very surprised to see Lanzini in that list... Fornals yeah, but Lanzini.... :chin:
He works harder chasing after the ball than people really give him credit for.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he's not a true 10 but if anyone was going to play behind Scamacca I rather it was him. however, he comes far too deep these days to influence games and we have enough people behind the ball normally for us to have another one doing it.

I think that's why we don't see him in the PL much. most of his career has been from deep but the way we are set up, we don't need that. he'd be far more use to us playing in and around the opposition box, but I think it's far too late in his career for him to be able to change.

shame.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

What a ****ing farce this has been, constantly overlooking 1 of our better players in the Squad in the League, when we've been crying out for quality in the final third. He keeps the ball extremely well and has an eye for goal/knack for a key pass. He scored 7 times, assisting 4 in all competitions last season which was 1 of his best returns for the Club.

Lanzini's been available to play in all 20 matches and only started in 1, the very 1st game of the season against the Champions Man City.

He's only played 122 minutes in the League, compared to 1,787 minutes for us last season.

He's not been injured and he's also not been sold, contrary to the idea that's why he's possibly being held back looking to move him on. Something has seriously gone wrong here and questions have to be asked about why Moyes has overlooked him for the lion share of the season.

So what the hell's going on with Lanzini, who's been 1 of our most experienced and loyal servants to the Club (this being his 8th season for us) when we've been crying out for attacking quality and wishing to play a more possession based game? :eh:

On a more personal level, I also find it very disrespectful treating Lanzini like he's some kind of bit part player. He's so much more than that and deserved better this season.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I don’t believe Lanzini is good enough anymore which is why he hasn’t played. I’d have personally entertained offers last summer had any came in. The injury sadly took a lot away from him.

He’ll leave at the end of the season with everyone’s warmest wishes and be remembered very fondly.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Well said h92 - my thoughts exactly.
Colours never run

hammers92 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am I don’t believe Lanzini is good enough anymore which is why he hasn’t played. I’d have personally entertained offers last summer had any came in. The injury sadly took a lot away from him.

He’ll leave at the end of the season with everyone’s warmest wishes and be remembered very fondly.
Based on what evidence? It can't be based on anything he did last season, as he generally played very well for most of the season, in the League, in Europe and even in the Carabao Cup when he scored the only winning goal of the game at Old Trafford beating Man Utd. He's also contributed to all our winning performances in Europe this season too, scoring twice.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I'm not entirely sure where all this negativity has come from towards him? He's looking fine to me every time he has played
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3047 likes
Total likes: 2689 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:43 am
So what the hell's going on with Lanzini, who's been 1 of our most experienced and loyal servants to the Club (this being his 8th season for us) when we've been crying out for attacking quality and wishing to play a more possession based game? :eh:
He is a squad player. Since his big injury he lacks the type of quick pace on the first yards to make a major impact. At PL football that one is crucial for a creative midfielder. He's still useful late in games or in the European Conference league.

No material for a big rant, but hey ho.
Last edited by DusseldorfHammer on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:59 am He is a squad player. Since his big injury he lacks the type of quick pace on the first yards to make a major impact. At PL football that one is crucial for a crestive midfielder. He's still useful late in games or in the European Conference league.

No material for a big rant, but hey ho.
He was usefull in 46 matches last season covering 2,925 minutes. To put that into perspective, Rice played in 50 games.

Something doesn't add up.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:43 am What a ****ing farce this has been..
Who are you dropping for Manuel, colours?

I love the guy, but he really is just a bit part player now, he'll probably be of more use in Europe, but I think he deserves a move home at the end of the season.

He's been a great player for us, who has given us moments of sheer brilliance, that equalising goal against Tottenham shall forever remain one of my best moments supporting West Ham.

:crest:
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:05 pm He was usefull in 46 matches last season covering 2,925 minutes. To put that into perspective, Rice played in 50 games.

Something doesn't add up.
Lucas Paqueta.
Colours never run

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:06 pm Who are you dropping for Manuel, colours?
Many of our attacking Midfielders have been struggling for form bar Benrahma, so any of them throughout the season.
Colours never run

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:08 pm Lucas Paqueta.
He should have been playing alongside him, not instead of him at times. The better calibre of player around him always brought the best out of Lanzini as Payet proved.

Lanzini can also play anywhere along the Forward line behind the Striker so you're looking at about 3 different positions he could and should have been used more than just 122 minutes. He's rarely turned to him even on the Bench, only coming on briefly 4 times.
WHU1994
Has liked: 1298 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by WHU1994 »

Really like Manu but as others have stated he now lacks that turn of pace. When he has played seems to be in a deeper role. He retains possession really well but hasn’t contributed enough to warrant a starting spot. Perfect for cup games and Europe.

Would like to see him given a chance in the #10 role with Rice and Paq as the cm’s. Benny on the left.
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 pm He should have been playing alongside him, not instead of him at times. The better calibre of player around him always brought the best out of Lanzini as Payet proved.

Lanzini can also play anywhere along the Forward line behind the Striker so you're looking at about 3 different positions he could and should have been used more than just 122 minutes. He's rarely turned to him even on the Bench, only coming on briefly 4 times.
The Payet/Lanzini combination was 6-7 years ago. Since then lovely Manu has suffered a major knee injury that unfortunately had a major negative impact on his pace. He's not that glider anymore. More of a static midfielder, that is maybe best used in a deeper role. But does he has the defensive tools to not get targeted when teams go st us, put us under pressure. Got my doubts.

I still think he can help us in Europe.
Last edited by DusseldorfHammer on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run

He was fine for us last season being a regular starter in the Team that finished 7th, beat Man Utd Away and Man City in the Carabao Cup and also to help us get to play Frankfurt in the Europa Semi's. The only evidence I saw of him was popping the ball about for fun keeping possession, scoring, assisting, making plenty of chances for others, as well as generally working hard for the Team.

I'm definitely watching a different game to others if all that evidence last season is supposed to now mean he's suddenly a bit-part player we barely use at all. It's all very weird and I believe we've cut off our nose to spite our face by constantly overlooking him as we have plummeted down the table now in a relegation scrap without turning to him.
Colours never run

Manu Lanzini's father on his sons future:

"The whole family is from River, we want him to come back. I would be the happiest man in the world if Manu returns to River. He turned down several offers to stay until June at West Ham."

He's even unselfishly turned down offers to leave so he could stay and help keep us up/win a Trophy. Not that he'll likely get much of a look-in going by his lack of appearances half a season in now.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The injury killed him off, he still has his uses. to be honest I'd imagine he quite likes living in London, like a lot of players and won't move unless the money or opportunity is unreal
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:30 pm He was fine for us last season being a regular starter in the Team that finished 7th, beat Man Utd Away and Man City in the Carabao Cup and also to help us get to play Frankfurt in the Europa Semi's. The only evidence I saw of him was popping the ball about for fun keeping possession, scoring, assisting, making plenty of chances for others, as well as generally working hard for the Team.

I'm definitely watching a different game to others if all that evidence last season is supposed to now mean he's suddenly a bit-part player we barely use at all. It's all very weird and I believe we've cut off our nose to spite our face by constantly overlooking him as we have plummeted down the table now in a relegation scrap without turning to him.

He got two minutes or so at Derby Monday so not totally forgotten...

He's been a very special player for us over the years, pre-injury there was a feeling he'd be off as his profile was on the up being part of the Argentine world cup squad.

He's done really well to get back to the levels he has since then, and I'll be sad to him go.

There have been times this season where we were crying out for what Lanzini can bring to the game and hopefully we will see a bit more of him in the months ahead. What a sign off it would be to contribute to a European trophy

I'm surprised we haven't seen a bit more of him, assuming his fitness levels are good
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:43 am What a ****ing farce this has been, constantly overlooking 1 of our better players in the Squad in the League, when we've been crying out for quality in the final third.

Something has seriously gone wrong here and questions have to be asked about why Moyes has overlooked him for the lion share of the season.
Same old crap under a different guise :asleep: